Women and young girls in the UK forced to wear the veil / headscarf

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Bhav On April 12, 2011

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 08:33:59
Muslim girl sacked for refusing to wear a headscarf

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/10/03/muslim-girl-sacked-for-refusing-to-wear-a-headscarf-115875-22604937/

Quote:
A muslim woman was fired from her job at an estate agents because she wouldn't wear a headscarf.

Ghazala Khan, 31, was sacked by devout Muslim Masood Ghafoor after he claimed she was "not respectable" because her hair was showing.

An industrial tribunal ruled she had been the victim of sexual and religious discrimination after hearing white, non-Muslin women she worked with were not asked to wear headscarves.

Ghazala, who was awarded ?13,500 in compensation, was not told she would have to cover her hair when taken on to run Go Go Real Estate, close to her home in Leeds, in June. But within days she was left feeling "uncomfortable and intimidated" when Mr Ghafoor accused her of not having been brought up as a "good Muslim". He told her his wife and female relatives wore full veils or burkhas in public - and accused her parents of giving her too much freedom.

And he sacked her after just two weeks in the job. Ghazala told the tribunal: "He said members of the Muslim community had been gossiping and that I was not respectable.

"I found his remarks hurtful and offensive. The following day, he phoned me to say that he was terminating my employment." Ghazala was awarded the money for loss of earnings and injury to her feelings.

She told the tribunal she has worn a trouser suit at her interview for the job - and had made it clear she was a nonpractising Muslim and did not cover her hair.

British schools where girls must wear the Islamic veil

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8038820/British-schools-where-girls-must-wear-the-Islamic-veil.html

Quote:
Islamic schools have introduced uniform policies which force girls to wear the burka or a full headscarf and veil known as the niqab.

Moderate followers of Islam said yesterday that enforcement of the veil was a "dangerous precedent" and that children attending such schools were being "brainwashed".

The Sunday Telegraph has established that three UK institutions have introduced a compulsory veil policy when girls are walking to or from school. They are:

Madani Girls' School in east London;
Jamea Al Kauthar in Lancaster;
Jameah Girls' Academy in Leicester.

All three are independent, fee-paying, single-sex schools for girls aged 11 to 18. Critics warned that the spectacle of burka-clad pupils entering and leaving the schools at the start and end of the day could damage relations between Muslim and non-Muslim communities.

Ed Husain, co-director of Quilliam, the counter-extremist think-tank, said: "It is absurd that schools are enforcing this outdated ritual ? one that which sends out a damaging message that Muslims do not want to fully partake in British society.

"Although it is not the government's job to dictate how its citizens dress, it should nonetheless ensure that such schools are not bankrolled or subsidised by the British taxpayer."

He added: "The enforcing of the niqab on young girls is not a mainstream Islamic practice ? either in Britain or in most Muslim-majority countries.

"It is a desert practice which belongs to another century and another world."

Dr Taj Hargey, an imam and chairman of the Muslim Educational Trust of Oxford, said: "This is very disturbing and sets a dangerous precedent.

"It means that Muslim children are being brainwashed into thinking they must segregate and separate themselves from mainstream society.

"The use of taxpayers' money for such institutions should be absolutely opposed. The wearing of the burka or niqab is a tribal custom and these garments are not even mentioned in the Koran."

Philip Hollobone, the Tory MP who has attempted to bring in a Private Members' Bill to ban wearing of the burka in public, also condemned the schools' uniform policies.

"It is very sad in 21st century Britain that three schools are effectively forcing girls as young as 11 to hide their faces," he said.

"How on earth are these young ladies going to grow up as part of a fully integrated society if they are made to regard themselves as objects at such a young age?"

I really doubt that many Muslim women in the UK who do wear the veil or headscarf choose to purely from personal choice, in most cases they are pressured into wearing them by their muslim communities, family and friends.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 08:46:33
Good luck to the girl for winning her case. It was a clear case of discrimination.

As far as the schools go well, its up to the parents isnt it. They opt out of mainstream education and pay to go to muslim school then its down to the parents. I think seeing a girl go into school in a burka is not exactly going to hurt anyone or anything as the article claims.

I think people should get the f*** over a piece of cloth.

Women are opressed everywhere in every religion in every home in every job.
Bhav On April 12, 2011

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 08:56:54
@treebee Said

As far as the schools go well, its up to the parents isnt it. They opt out of mainstream education and pay to go to muslim school then its down to the parents. I think seeing a girl go into school in a burka is not exactly going to hurt anyone or anything as the article claims.

Even moderate muslims think that Child Veiling is wrong and oppressive to the child. Its not about being harmful to anyone else, it is simply that the children should not be forced into wearing veils. I would have hated if my parents or schools had decided to force me to wear a veil, but fortunately Im not a female so it wouldnt have ever happened.

@treebee Said

Women are opressed everywhere in every religion in every home in every job.

And why exactly should this be allowed in the UK?

@treebee Said

As far as the schools go well, its up to the parents isnt it.

And why should parents be allowed to force their children into following any particular religion, or even to have them wearing the veil?
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#4New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 09:19:28
Well in the first case the radical Muslim lost so the system works.

The second however is a more difficult problem to solve. One thing that should be instantly done is to have the government to stop funding private schools. Apart from that I'm not sure what else can be done to stop such practices other than be vocal in opposition to them.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 09:22:25
@Bhav Said

Even moderate muslims think that Child Veiling is wrong and oppressive to the child. Its not about being harmful to anyone else, it is simply that the children should not be forced into wearing veils. I would have hated if my parents or schools had decided to force me to wear a veil, but fortunately Im not a female so it wouldnt have ever happened.

They dont like it they can take thier child out of school and put them in a state school like everyone else.

@Bhav Said
And why exactly should this be allowed in the UK?.

It shouldnt but its an everyday occurence for a female.

@Bhav Said
And why should parents be allowed to force their children into following any particular religion, or even to have them wearing the veil?

the alternative would be to ban all religious schools, i have no problem with that at all.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#6New Post! Oct 12, 2010 @ 22:38:34
@Bhav Said

And why exactly should this be allowed in the UK?

They can be allowed to because it by choice...the last time I read, the UK is not a theocracy, but a Democratic Monarchy...If it were a Theocracy, there would be no choice.
Bimbo On November 16, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, Monaco
#7New Post! Oct 12, 2010 @ 22:43:23
Make it fun - wear Halloween masks instead.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 12, 2010 @ 22:43:47
As much as I want to agree with your anti-religious/forced religion stance I feel I can't as I have become accustomed to your anti-Islamic threads. I fear rather than taking a responsible stance on this you have deliberately sought out examples of when Islamic head-dresses are oppressive to prove a prejudiced point you already hold.
Bhav On April 12, 2011

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 21:21:01
@jmo Said

you have deliberately sought out examples of when Islamic head-dresses are oppressive to prove a prejudiced point you already hold.

How is the truth a prejudiced point? Girls are being forced into wearing the face veil (not 'head dress / hajib', please do bother to learn the difference, it isnt difficult), in several Islamic Schools across Britain. This is hardly a choice that is being given to them to make.

If you take a woman who knows absolutely nothing about Islam and give her a copy of the Koran, she would not learn anywhere from within that that she has to cover up her face as part of that religion.

Your usage of the term 'Islamic head-dresses' is also completely incorrect because the Hajib / Burkha / Niqab are not 'Islamic head-dresses'. They are NOT mentioned anywhere inside the Koran or any Islamic text, rather they are a traditional form of clothing that Women wore in certain countries since centuries before Islam.

It is however only after Islam that for some reason, men of the religion in a lot of Sharia countries began forcing Women to wear these head garments. This eventually, completely falsely and inaccurately, began to be accepted as an 'Islamic' form of dress, when it absolutely isnt and has nothing to do with Islam whatsoever.

NO single Muslim woman has any need to wear the face veil as part of the Islamic faith, it is not a requirement nor is there a single line saying anything about covering up the face written anywhere inside the Koran. The completely false belief that the face veil is an Islamic requirement for women purely stems from oppressive Islamic regimes from countries such as Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan.

There is absolutely no prejudice at all in this or in any of my criticisms of the face veil or Islam.

The only thing that the Koran says about womens dress is that:

'A woman must dress modestly and cover her bosom'. That is it, and this is the universally accepted translation by most forms of Islam. There is no line or section within the koran that says women have to cover up their whole face.
MyPrecious On November 29, 2010
give it to me baby

Deleted

Middle of nowhere, Oklahoma
#10New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 21:27:08
yikes!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 21:28:37
@Bhav Said

How is the truth a prejudiced point?

Because almost all of your posts are with regards to this topic meaning anything you post is done so with a greater intention of your prejudice against head scarves.

I deleted the parts irrelevant to the thread and my post.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 21:28:46
the veil is vile
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#13New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 21:30:57
@Bhav Said

How is the truth a prejudiced point? Girls are being forced into wearing the face veil (not 'head dress / hajib', please do bother to learn the difference, it isnt difficult), in several Islamic Schools across Britain. This is hardly a choice that is being given to them to make.

If you take a woman who knows absolutely nothing about Islam and give her a copy of the Koran, she would not learn anywhere from within that that she has to cover up her face as part of that religion.

Your usage of the term 'Islamic head-dresses' is also completely incorrect because the Hajib / Burkha / Niqab are not 'Islamic head-dresses'. They are NOT mentioned anywhere inside the Koran or any Islamic text, rather they are a traditional form of clothing that Women wore in certain countries since centuries before Islam.

It is however only after Islam that for some reason, men of the religion in a lot of Sharia countries began forcing Women to wear these head garments. This eventually, completely falsely and inaccurately, began to be accepted as an 'Islamic' form of dress, when it absolutely isnt and has nothing to do with Islam whatsoever.

NO single Muslim woman has any need to wear the face veil as part of the Islamic faith, it is not a requirement nor is there a single line saying anything about covering up the face written anywhere inside the Koran. The completely false belief that the face veil is an Islamic requirement for women purely stems from oppressive Islamic regimes from countries such as Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan.

There is absolutely no prejudice at all in this or in any of my criticisms of the face veil or Islam.

The only thing that the Koran says about womens dress is that:

'A woman must dress modestly and cover her bosom'. That is it, and this is the universally accepted translation by most forms of Islam. There is no line of section within the koran that says women have to cover up their whole face.

In non sharia law countries, it is by CHOICE...something everyone should have
Bhav On April 12, 2011

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 21:31:39
@jmo Said

Because almost all of your posts are with regards to this topic meaning anything you post is done so with a greater intention of your prejudice against head scarves.

I deleted the parts irrelevant to the thread and my post.

Where exactly do you get this information from? I do not oppose head scarves at all, just the covering of a womans face.

@deal1 Said

In non sharia law countries, it is by CHOICE...something everyone should have

People do not even have the 'CHOICE' to wear a balaclava or a KKK outfit into a bank or even most stores in western countries, so why is the face veil given any exemption?

How does someone 'choose' to wear a face veil as part of their religion when no part of that religion says that they have to? They dont choose, they are pressured at the least by their families and backward culture into wearing it, and some women give in and accept, later calling it a choice.

Islam does not teach that women have to cover up their faces on a daily basis, nor does any mentally sane and healthy woman choose to do that (EXCEPT for health and safety reasons of any kind). It is due to backward cultural pressure, coercion, intimidation, and even force that the custom of women covering up their faces in Islam exists as part of that culture.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#15New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 21:35:52
BUT to tell someone that they shouldn't wear one is just as bad as requiring women to wear one..
How about burqas?...those are worse than veils, but in many countries, worn by choice.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs