Medicine

Withdrawing from Clonazepam!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#1New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 15:52:59
Ok! My therapist put me on 4mgs of Clonazepam over 10 years ago. At that time I didn't even think of checking this drug up and reviewing it and all it's negative effects of long term or even short term use.

I have decided to wean myself off because for all these years I've been having 'hallucinations' to which I didn't even know they were hallucinations.

Now comes the hard part: The weaning off this drug. It comes with a high price and is very hard to get off completely. .05mgs of Clonazepam equals 10mgs of Valium so weaning or cutting off cold turkey is very, very mind f***ing thing to do to say the least.

Why do MD's nonchalantly put you on prescribed drugs and then just leave it without a care to the long term effects of their patients I haven't a clue.

My question is if anyone has any pertinent information that will help in my quest to wean off this drug I would greatly appreciate the support and advice. If not, then I will continue to cross this bridge by myself and learn as I go..

Thanks to anyone that can provide me with some helpful tips and advice on experiences or knowledge of what I am really in for or just the moral support because God knows there's no help out there for someone who wants to wean off a prescribed drug.

I'm already noticing the major headaches, the dizziness daily, the mental focus which is almost nil and the feeling of having no emotions. Anything to support would be greatly appreciated.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 15:58:41
@rosexthorn Said

Ok! My therapist put me on 4mgs of Clonazepam over 10 years ago. At that time I didn't even think of checking this drug up and reviewing it and all it's negative effects of long term or even short term use.

I have decided to wean myself off because for all these years I've been having 'hallucinations' to which I didn't even know they were hallucinations.

Now comes the hard part: The weaning off this drug. It comes with a high price and is very hard to get off completely. .05mgs of Clonazepam equals 10mgs of Valium so weaning or cutting off cold turkey is very, very mind f***ing thing to do to say the least.

Why do MD's nonchalantly put you on prescribed drugs and then just leave it without a care to the long term effects of their patients I haven't a clue.

My question is if anyone has any pertinent information that will help in my quest to wean off this drug I would greatly appreciate the support and advice. If not, then I will continue to cross this bridge by myself and learn as I go..

Thanks to anyone that can provide me with some helpful tips and advice on experiences or knowledge of what I am really in for or just the moral support because God knows there's no help out there for someone who wants to wean off a prescribed drug.

I'm already noticing the major headaches, the dizziness daily, the mental focus which is almost nil and the feeling of having no emotions. Anything to support would be greatly appreciated.

YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO A DOCTOR!!

Withdrawal from this drug can cause seizures and convulsions. It is not recommended that you stop taking this drug without CLOSE supervision from a doctor. You have to be taken off it gradually and slowly. People have died going "cold turkey".

SEE A DOCTOR!!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 15:59:11
professionally I cannot give you any advice, but I hope you are weaning off under a doctor's instruction?

Its proper drug withdrawal so make sure everyone around you realises what you are going through. Stick with it, stay under Doctor's orders and hopefully it will get easier soon.
Bukwis On February 05, 2013

Port Edward, Canada
#4New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 16:02:34
Talk to your pharmacist. He has more knowledge of the drug than your therapist does. He'll be able to tell you the best way to come off it.

It might also be a good idea to see if there is an alternative that can achieve the same results without the side effects.

Good luck with getting it sorted, I sympathize with your struggle, I am a recovering addict myself, and withdrawal can be nasty.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#5New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 16:04:27
If you are trying to wean yourself off of this drug and have not consulted your doctor, or any doctor, DON'T!!

This has to be done with the assistance of a professional. If you do like your doctor and his methods of using this drug, seek another. Plain and simple!

My dad is bi-polar and I have seen his good and bad days when the doctor has changed doses or put him on new drugs. Not good times.

This is something that absolutely needs to be done with a doctor. Do NOT do this on your own!
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#6New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:19:18
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.

I did discuss it with my doctor and after talking to him he told me to stay on it for the reason that he thinks I'd be better off with the hallucinations than what I would be like without the clonazepam. He was all for the weaning at first, but when he remembered how I was before the clonazepam he vetoed it completely but only on the grounds that he doesn't want the panick attacks, OCD, PTSD, etc to come back and me being as I was pre drugs as opposed to being on the drug.

That said, I don't want to be on this drug any longer for the fact that I now noticed that for over 10 years I haven't been ME good and bad. I've been a walking talking drug with no emotion nor mental abilities to feel or think for ME.

I am weaning by .05 every month and have gotten to 1.025mgs if that makes any sense. I do feel the withdrawals very strong but am wondering if I should go any lower of stay right here. I'm so confused and talking to the doc will be to no avail..
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:22:12
Don't just stop taking a prescribed drug. If you want to get yourself off of it, tell your doctor.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#8New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:23:17
@Bukwis Said

Talk to your pharmacist. He has more knowledge of the drug than your therapist does. He'll be able to tell you the best way to come off it.

It might also be a good idea to see if there is an alternative that can achieve the same results without the side effects.

Good luck with getting it sorted, I sympathize with your struggle, I am a recovering addict myself, and withdrawal can be nasty.

Horrible advice! The poster should talk to their doctor!
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:25:27
Bukwis might be right about asking a pharmacist if your doctor isnt very helpful. Or maybe get some drug rehab advice. There must be free help for those wanting to come off prescription medication.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:25:37
@Bukwis Said

No. Pharmacists know a lot about drugs but they are absolutely not the person to talk to about changing prescription drug regiments.

Pharmacists are not trained or licensed for this, and no pharmacist should give such advice.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:27:04
@plebian_angel Said

Horrible advice! The poster should talk to their doctor!

To be fair if its the same doctor that put her on it in the first place then he/she is likely to tell her just to carry on taking it.

A second opinion definitely. Pharmacists are good for advice. But could not give rehab support.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#12New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:27:44
@treebee Said

To be fair if its the same doctor that put her on it in the first place then he/she is likely to tell her just to carry on taking it.

A second opinion definitely. Pharmacists are good for advice. But could not give rehab support.

NVM, misread what you wrote, treebs
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#13New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:28:58
@rosexthorn Said

I am weaning by .05 every month and have gotten to 1.025mgs if that makes any sense. I do feel the withdrawals very strong but am wondering if I should go any lower of stay right here. I'm so confused and talking to the doc will be to no avail..

No, no, no, no. Do not do that.

If anything, seek another doctor's opinion. Do no self 'de-medicate' like this.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:31:00
@plebian_angel Said

Then you go to a second doctor. Pharmacists are not allowed to prescribe medicine.

true, they cannot prescribe.

Like I say they are good for advice but no good for rehab.

In the UK pharmacists do medication reviews and do make suggestions on lowering doses of long-term medication or replacing medication. Ultimatley it is the decision of the prescriber.

I do not think asking a pharmacist is horrible advice.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#15New Post! Oct 02, 2011 @ 17:32:40
@treebee Said

true, they cannot prescribe.

Like I say they are good for advice but no good for rehab.

In the UK pharmacists do medication reviews and do make suggestions on lowering doses of long-term medication or replacing medication. Ultimatley it is the decision of the prescriber.

I do not think asking a pharmacist is horrible advice.

Here in the states, you would not do that. I don't know how Canada is run though. But here pharmacists are not allowed to change the dosage. They can recomend generic meds, but not change doses.

How can pharmacists even suggest meds when they don't know the patients history?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs