Wireless router

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#16New Post! Jan 02, 2010 @ 20:59:59
It will take you through the steps to secure your network.

I have one from Linksky and it works great. Still doesnt need replacing and for $45 dollars, it been over three years with the router.

Everything you need will be there.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#17New Post! Jan 02, 2010 @ 22:26:19
@PaNda Said

That sounds great, but as I've already tried a wireless router for my Internet, I'm skeptical about it being faster than my DSL. ^^^ Wired access > wireless access as in the speed of satellite Internet access?

It depends on what level router you had. "A" or "B" will most definitely slow down your connection, "G" shouldn't unless you're paying for the fastest internet connection possible, then a "G" might not be fast enough to keep up, and "N" most definitely won't slow down any connection. However, the price of the router goes up with the speed, so if you chose the cheapest router, you also chose the slowest.
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#18New Post! Jan 02, 2010 @ 22:28:48
@Lili Said

It depends on what level router you had. "A" or "B" will most definitely slow down your connection, "G" shouldn't unless you're paying for the fastest internet connection possible, then a "G" might not be fast enough to keep up, and "N" most definitely won't slow down any connection. However, the price of the router goes up with the speed, so if you chose the cheapest router, you also chose the slowest.

I don't know what level it was but since it was two years ago, it could have been the A or B. I'll look for the N.
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#19New Post! Jan 02, 2010 @ 22:46:24
I have the N router.and also have a password to connect,
I dont have to add the password each time I use it, just if I disconnect the thing from my computer that picks up the signal from the router,
you can tell how much I know about the names about all these things,
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#20New Post! Jan 02, 2010 @ 22:50:10
@PaNda Said

I don't know what level it was but since it was two years ago, it could have been the A or B. I'll look for the N.

The wifi connection will only be as fast as the slower of your router or your wifi receiver. If your router is N, but your phone is only made to receive G, you will have a G speed wifi connection. G is the standard right now, so odds are, that's what's on your phone. The N level standard isn't complete yet, which is why it doesn't have wide adoption yet. There's an N "draft" that's being sold, and some laptops can receive it, but it's more likely to show up in higher end hardware.

I don't think you'll need the N, as your phone likely doesn't have an N level wifi receiver. I'd go with G, it's also less expensive.
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#21New Post! Jan 02, 2010 @ 22:55:59
Then a G it'll be. Thanks a bunch, Lili. You've saved me from having to run back and forth to the store in order to get the right product. I hate getting home with something that doesn't work and having to go back.
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#22New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 07:12:09
@PaNda Said

That sounds great, but as I've already tried a wireless router for my Internet, I'm skeptical about it being faster than my DSL. ^^^ Wired access > wireless access as in the speed of satellite Internet access?

No. Wired is better because it doesn't depend on the signal, amount of objects/walls between the router and the computer, and the potential interference of other signals, etc.

A wired connection is the strongest because the data just transfers through a wire.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs