The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
US Elections

Will this election be decided based on content or skin color?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...10 11 12 · >>
Scoobiedoolala On October 30, 2008

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#1New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:39:58
History supports the proposition that black voters tend to vote
overwhelmingly for one candidate, even when that candidate's rival has valid claims on their votes. Case in point: In polls, Robert Kennedy swept the black vote against Hubert Humphrey in 1968, despite Humphrey's long and valiant fight for civil rights laws. Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton also got the lion's share of black votes in primaries in 1976 and 1992.
Black political events often have speakers calling for "unity." Uniting in support of one candidate is a rational strategy for achieving political leverage for members of a minority group (although it can deprive them of all leverage if that candidate is one no one else will vote for: for example, Jesse Jackson in 1984 and 1988).
It's obvious that in the democratic primaries, black voters, once they saw from the results of the Iowa caucuses that white people would vote for Obama, went en masse for Obama.
In December 2007, Clinton was splitting the black vote evenly with Obama. In early January 2008, Obama was winning a big margin among blacks, and by the end of the month he was for all practical purposes monopolizing the black vote.
Hillary Clinton would have won almost all black votes if Obama had not run. That would have meant that she would have had guaranteed wins in southern states where half or more of Democratic votes would be cast by blacks: South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.
The Clinton campaign should have anticipated that its black support might vanish suddenly. If Hillary couldn't compete for black votes, the Mccain/Palin ticket has no chance.
This puts Mccain/Palin at an unfair disadvantge as no other racial group votes this way. Obama only has to win a respectable share of the non-black vote to ensure a victory. Strategy: split the non-black vote. Result: allow black America to select him as our next president.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#2New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:44:18
All's fair and love, war and politcs.

Really, I'm so sick to death of hearing about race and gender I could spit. I can not wait for this to all be the f*** over.

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#3New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:45:57
This decision won't be over for another 4 years.
It's a long wait.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:46:26
really? you think black people will vote obama just because he is black?

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#5New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:49:05
Look at the democratic primary. Evidence.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#6New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 15:51:55
@treebee Said
really? you think black people will vote obama just because he is black?

Not all black poeple will vote Obama simply because he's black. Many will vote for him because they like his politics--same as the whites who vote for him. But there will be those who vote by color just like there were those who would've voted by gender if Hilary had made it to the next level.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#7New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:00:26
I think that a lot of blacks feel for the first time they have a candidate that represents them better than any before. And a big part of that is because he is black. But it also has to do with him growing up with a single mom who also was working to get her degree. I don't think that voting this way is necessarily wrong. Everybody wants someone in office that is looking out for them and lot of people feel obama can give them this for the first time.
willisthefishies On December 14, 2008

Duluth, Minnesota
#8New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:00:46
I hate all the race and gender games with this election. It's just poo.

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#9New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:02:54
The preceived reasons Obama will virtually monopolize the black vote doesn't change the fact that he will. He did so against Hillary and she's always been touted as a champion of minority causes. Is this fact not clear to all informed Americans.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#10New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:03:21
@scoobiedoolala Said
Look at the democratic primary. Evidence.

Is there evidence out there that shows exact reasons for why people voted for him?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#11New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:05:54
*looks at the thread title*

Logical fallacy alert!

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#12New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:07:12
@cgobla Said
I think that a lot of blacks feel for the first time they have a candidate that represents them better than any before. And a big part of that is because he is black. But it also has to do with him growing up with a single mom who also was working to get her degree. I don't think that voting this way is necessarily wrong. Everybody wants someone in office that is looking out for them and lot of people feel obama can give them this for the first time.

If virtually all White's wouldn't give Obama a fair shot based on policy, would you consider that fair. He is garnishing much support from white America. I believe making choices based solely on skin color is very wrong in any circumstance.

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#13New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:08:27
@jonnythan Said
*looks at the thread title*

Logical fallacy alert!

please point out any FACTUAL errors in my post.
chaski On about 16 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#14New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:10:16
My sister said to me, "I do not think it would be fair if people vote AGAINST Obama just because he is black."

I replied, "Well it would be equally unfair to vote FOR him just because he is black. How about we FORGET about the color and PAY ATTENTION to the things he says...his POLITICAL POSTITION."

She got mad at me
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#15New Post! Sep 07, 2008 @ 16:10:57
@scoobiedoolala Said
If virtually all White's wouldn't give Obama a fair shot based on policy, would you consider that fair. He is garnishing much support from white America. I believe making choices based solely on skin color is very wrong in any circumstance.

If all white's wouldn't vote cause he was black yes that would be wrong but that is not the case. And I just pointed it out that I don't believe blacks are voting for him solely on skin color, it is a combination of things. And Obama has earned his right on the ticket not because of his skin color but in spite of it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...10 11 12 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs