Science

Will scientists bail us out?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 21:48:25
It's my prediction that changes in culture and lifestyles won't be radical enough to reduce CO2 pollution sufficiently. People in developed countries won't give up the luxuries they enjoy in order to reduce their carbon footprint enough, and developing countries won't stop developing for the sake of global warming. As always, new technology will be relied upon to compensate for population growth.

The most important developments will be in the following areas: communications/IT, energy production, and climate control.

New methods of communication and networking will make commuting unnecessary for a substantial section of the workforce in all parts of the world. Travelling to an office every day will become a redundant routine as working from home is made vastly more easy and practical.

New energy production techniques, most importantly nuclear fusion, will be cheaper, more efficient and cleaner than fossil fuels. A commercial fusion reactor is already planned for construction in France in the 2040s.

Climate control technology will play a very important part in reducing atmospheric CO2 if the situation becomes too dire. The most feasable idea at present is the use of vast amounts of oceanic algae to scrub CO2 out of the sea and air and store it on the sea floor (this idea is controversial since it could cause eutrophication and megadeath in marine ecosystems across the globe). Other such solutions may present themselves in the future in the form of airborne nanomachines or sequestering carbon in Earth's crust.

Does anyone resent the idea of scientists being relied on to bail humanity out of a climate change crisis? Does anyone prefer the idea of people having to sacrifice modern, excessive lifestyles and returning to simpler ways? Perhaps some people even like the idea of the human population being substantially reduced or completely destroyed by mother nature?
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#2New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 21:52:24
"Does anyone resent the idea of scientists being relied on to bail humanity out of a climate change crisis"

perhaps they'll go all atlas shrugged on our asses
George On June 05, 2009

Banned

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 21:58:11
Climate change in inevitable volcanoes naturally emit enough carbon monoxide to do the earth plenty of damage, life within the context of the overall universe is cheap, life as we know it could only really come about on earth because of our earth's unusual axis and distance in relation to our sun.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 22:05:06
This guy does a good job of explaining the myths surrounding climate change link

I do feel a bit pissed off because if there was more funding towards renewable energy research and alternatives for transport then the problem might not be so bad. But people want to stick with oil. It's silly. There are good reasons to move away from fossils fuels such as the effect it has on the enviroment and of course getting away from any dependance on foreign oil. With more research we could have transport that is far more enviromentally friendly that was affordable and therefore viable as an alternative. At the moment we still have a fixation with burning things. We really have to move away from that.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 22:05:44
@George Said

Climate change in inevitable volcanoes naturally emit enough carbon monoxide to do the earth plenty of damage, life within the context of the overall universe is cheap, life as we know it could only really come about on earth because of our earth's unusual axis and distance in relation to our sun.

Volcanic activity has never been substantial enough to cause global warming as rapidly as human activity has in the last 150 years. Even the Deccan Traps didn't produce enough CO2 quickly enough to do what we're doing.
George On June 05, 2009

Banned

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 22:10:59
@buffalobill90 Said

Volcanic activity has never been substantial enough to cause global warming as rapidly as human activity has in the last 150 years. Even the Deccan Traps didn't produce enough CO2 quickly enough to do what we're doing.

So we introduce a slight excelleration who cares, if we're destroying it chances are it's beyond repair and why spend the last few hundred years cold and without electricity?

@crazychica Said

I do feel a bit pissed off because if there was more funding towards renewable energy research and alternatives for transport then the problem might not be so bad. But people want to stick with oil. It's silly. There are good reasons to move away from fossils fuels such as the effect it has on the enviroment and of course getting away from any dependance on foreign oil. With more research we could have transport that is far more enviromentally friendly that was affordable and therefore viable as an alternative. At the moment we still have a fixation with burning things. We really have to move away from that.

Natural resources in terms of deriving electricity is very location orientated and the problem with that is you cant export and tranfer electricity from these source locations easily if you could then we'd have some kind of perpetual motion satalite in space.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 22:17:35
@George Said

So we introduce a slight excelleration who cares, if we're destroying it chances are it's beyond repair and why spend the last few hundred years cold and without electricity?

Natural resources in terms of deriving electricity is very location orientated and the problem with that is you cant export and tranfer electricity from these source locations easily if you could then we'd have some kind of perpetual motion satalite in space.

We've accelerated it by more than a little. There was already a slow release of greenhouse gasses from volcanoes, forest fires etc. However we really sped things up. We're producing so much more carbon dioxide than these things ever could in conjunction with these natural processes. We've increased the speed fairly dramatically.

Also, I don't see what space power has to do with space satelites. However I can say that Scotland gets a fairly large amount of our power from renewable energy sources and are looking to increase it very soon. I live quite a bit away from my nearest renewable energy power source but I know that a big chunk of what is used to power my laptop has been transported from these sources. Most of them are based on the same thing, the power is generated via turbine just as in a fossil fuel power plant but usually with more efficiency, the major exception being the solar panel which is extremely inefficient, or at least it was 4 years ago when we studied this in physics and tech studies.
George On June 05, 2009

Banned

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 22:23:13
@crazychica Said

I don't see what space power has to do with space satelites.

Perpetual motion because there's no force to resist against an action in space therefore you could have like a space turbine.

@crazychica Said
However I can say that Scotland gets a fairly large amount of our power from renewable energy sources and are looking to increase it very soon. I live quite a bit away from my nearest renewable energy power source but I know that a big chunk of what is used to power my laptop has been transported from these sources. Most of them are based on the same thing, the power is generated via turbine just as in a fossil fuel power plant but usually with more efficiency, the major exception being the solar panel which is extremely inefficient, or at least it was 4 years ago when we studied this in physics and tech studies.

Not only does polution help renewable energy sources by making global climates more extreme but there's no way to draw on them to as greater extent as our man made energy sources.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jun 04, 2009 @ 22:31:46
@George Said

Perpetual motion because there's no force to resist against an action in space therefore you could have like a space turbine.

Not only does polution help renewable energy sources by making global climates more extreme but there's no way to draw on them to as greater extent as our man made energy sources.

Actually, there could be. We had a task in physics once to use renewable energy sources to power the island. My island was producing a lot of excess energy, all from its natural resources. The UK is one of the windiest countries in the world, one of the many resources we can take advantage of. Scotland is full of hydroelectric plants up in the mountains and lochs and there are plans for tidal energy farms. Whilst waiting to go into class I read a poster describing a project by one or two of our students and lecturers on generators actually under the water generating power via the ocean currents. The one problem that they stated was the effect that this may have on local eco systems which would require more research.

Volcanically active places may use geothermal power which works on the same basis as fuel-burning power plants with the nice exception that it uses the natural heat below ground to heat the water into steam to turn the turbines.

And I have heard plans to turn vast areas of hot, dry, empty land into "solar farms".
Darroll On April 26, 2012

salem, Oregon
#10New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 19:05:00
Global warming is a bunch of hooey. The sun is cooling off.
We are headed to a mini ice age.
The only fuel that I burn in my truck is gas. We have no alternate fuel.
A great way to raise your carbon taxes.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 19:09:22
I actually like the idea of going back to old ways. But thats just because it suits me. The simpler life is the better my brain works.