Jobs & Careers

Will Wal-Mart take me back someday?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
dark_angel1715 On February 27, 2013

hell GFY, Missouri
#1New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:03:06
I got myself canned from Wal-Mart in January bc a coworker pissed me off. I used to work in ladies wear and one day, she came to a cart of returns and reminded me to put them away. I tried to explain that I didn't leave it there. They simply accumulated AFTER I clocked out at 10 PM, but she wouldn't beleive me. I hated being wrongly blamed, even though she said it's no big deal, so I kept trying to get her to believe me. When I didn't succeed, I took an hour long lunch break, clocked back in, and started a fight with her at the fitting room. mgt got involved and said they don't wanna hear another incident again.

A few days later, I found out from other coworkers that she didn't apologize or forgive me. I banged my head onto the fitting room pole in front of customers bc I was just too damned angry. Customer had a child with her and reported me. Next thing I know, I got canned for "workplace violence." Despite that, they made me eligible for rehire. I work another job now in a completely different industry and I learned my lesson. I also got my liflong anger problem resolved for good a coupla monhts ago. If I keep that job for a few years, will Wal-Mart take me back when I re-apply? What would be my chance at the same or different store?
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#2New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:09:26
First of all: Are you serious?

Second of all: You can't be serious.
flange666 On May 02, 2012

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:10:18
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#4New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:11:32
@dark_angel1715 Said

I got myself canned from Wal-Mart in January bc a coworker pissed me off. I used to work in ladies wear and one day, she came to a cart of returns and reminded me to put them away. I tried to explain that I didn't leave it there. They simply accumulated AFTER I clocked out at 10 PM, but she wouldn't beleive me. I hated being wrongly blamed, even though she said it's no big deal, so I kept trying to get her to believe me. When I didn't succeed, I took an hour long lunch break, clocked back in, and started a fight with her at the fitting room. mgt got involved and said they don't wanna hear another incident again.

A few days later, I found out from other coworkers that she didn't apologize or forgive me. I banged my head onto the fitting room pole in front of customers bc I was just too damned angry. Customer had a child with her and reported me. Next thing I know, I got canned for "workplace violence." Despite that, they made me eligible for rehire. I work another job now in a completely different industry and I learned my lesson. I also got my liflong anger problem resolved for good a coupla monhts ago. If I keep that job for a few years, will Wal-Mart take me back when I re-apply? What would be my chance at the same or different store?

If you were full-time I'd say there would be something about these inidences in your file. How long they keep that file after you leave is up to Wal-mart.

Chances are if you applied for work there again the same people would still be there - they could still phone people you worked with for references. If you have found another industry you like and enjoy I would stay there rather than going backwards, to where you were.

Why go back to Wal-mart? It sounds like you weren't happy there. I hear that you have your anger issues under control but a good way to test them would be to go back to work in the retail industry. In retail no-one earns great money, everyone is judged by what they do for the time they work, no-one gets great training except management, nor are they really appreciated unless they are in management.

i worked in the retail industry for 11 years. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:20:40
@dark_angel1715 Said

First off, even if you hadn't been the one to leave it out, you should still have put it away. That's why it's called teamwork! Someone else might have just been too busy to sort it out. Also, starting a fight with a co worker is just childish - why did you need her approval so badly anyway?! If you have a problem, that's what management is for.

@dark_angel1715 Said

I'm not surprised she didn't forgive you. You started a fight with her over something that is tiny and significant in the grand scheme of things.

I have no idea if Wal-Mart will be prepared to take you back. I wouldn't be surprised if they ask for a recommendation from a shrink.

I've had severe anger problems before, but even I think banging your head on a pole in front of customers is taking it too far. They were probably terrified cos some crazy person works at Wal-Mart!!!

hell GFY, Missouri
#6New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:37:01
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

First off, even if you hadn't been the one to leave it out, you should still have put it away. That's why it's called teamwork! Someone else might have just been too busy to sort it out. Also, starting a fight with a co worker is just childish - why did you need her approval so badly anyway?! If you have a problem, that's what management is for.

Well yeah, I woulda if I could. The thing is, all associate were prohibited from working off the clock. That actually gets you canned. Plus, the clothes accumulated over several hours after I clocked out. Same thing happened in lingerie dept once. Another coworker got all her returns done during her shift and her dept mgr came to a cart of returns and almost blamed her for it. She explained that the returns were left there by the overnight crew, who aren't usually responsible for returns. Her boss believed her. But yeah, I shouldn't have started a fight with her on the sales floor. The sad thing is, we used to get along, which is what makes my regret even greater.

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#7New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:42:52
@dark_angel1715 Said

Well yeah, I woulda if I could. The thing is, all associate were prohibited from working off the clock. That actually gets you canned. Plus, the clothes accumulated over several hours after I clocked out. Same thing happened in lingerie dept once. Another coworker got all her returns done during her shift and her dept mgr came to a cart of returns and almost blamed her for it. She explained that the returns were left there by the overnight crew, who aren't usually responsible for returns. Her boss believed her. But yeah, I shouldn't have started a fight with her on the sales floor. The sad thing is, we used to get along, which is what makes my regret even greater.

Confusion and disagreements happens betwen all co-workers, at all work-places. Yours got out of hand but that again is not unheard of.

It was the thing with the pole & your head in front of the mum who complained, that Wal-mart would be most concerned about if they were to consider reintstating you, and are likely to still have on file.

hell GFY, Missouri
#8New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:47:00
@sunandsurf13 Said

If you were full-time I'd say there would be something about these inidences in your file. How long they keep that file after you leave is up to Wal-mart.

Chances are if you applied for work there again the same people would still be there - they could still phone people you worked with for references. If you have found another industry you like and enjoy I would stay there rather than going backwards, to where you were.

Why go back to Wal-mart? It sounds like you weren't happy there. I hear that you have your anger issues under control but a good way to test them would be to go back to work in the retail industry. In retail no-one earns great money, everyone is judged by what they do for the time they work, no-one gets great training except management, nor are they really appreciated unless they are in management.

i worked in the retail industry for 11 years. Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

I actually work in fast food now, whcih is alot more stressful than retail, not to mention busier. Things happen there quite often that woulda pissed me off b4 but it doesn't now. For instance, b4, I couldn't stand being wrongly blamed by anyone. Just recently, I got wrongly blamed by the top mgr for getting an order wrong when I didn't even wait on that customer. I was annoyed, not angry, even though she didn't let me explain. I was able to let it go within 5 minutes. I like it here, for the most part. I was also happy at Wal-Mart, though. When I first got canned, I simply couldn't see myself working anywhere else. idk, confused.

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 09:52:37
It sounds like you would like to be hired back by Wal-mart just to know that the slate was clean.

We all did things with early employers we regret, I practically got fired from Woolworths when I was 18 for calling in to cancel shifts too often. They hated my guts at the time.

Why go backwards? Enjoy the job you have now, it sounds like you are doing well.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 13:27:13
@dark_angel1715 Said

Where are you working at now that's supposedly actually worse than working at walmart?

hell GFY, Missouri
#11New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 20:51:56
@iliterate_enginere Said

Where are you working at now that's supposedly actually worse than working at walmart?

I'm working at McDonald's and I don't think it's worse. I actually like it there. It's just that well, maybe I just wanna prove to myself that I could handle retail bc when mgt canned me, they said I ain't fit for retail.
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#12New Post! Jun 19, 2009 @ 21:11:40
@dark_angel1715 Said

I'm working at McDonald's and I don't think it's worse. I actually like it there. It's just that well, maybe I just wanna prove to myself that I could handle retail bc when mgt canned me, they said I ain't fit for retail.

ok. i stand corrected.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#13New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 23:07:48
@dark_angel1715 Said
they said I ain't fit for retail.

Could it be the mullet and bare feet?

hell GFY, Missouri
#14New Post! Jun 25, 2009 @ 23:46:19
@tardcore Said

What are you talking about?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#15New Post! Jun 26, 2009 @ 00:00:56
@tardcore Said

lol. I hear what you are saying. You liked it there, and you saw many other wrongs fixed or handled differently than yours was.
My first thought was, why go back? That's usually not done. That was my first thought. But on reflection, I do recall many people
telling stories about 'quitting' (that's the key word I'm sure)
one job for various personal reasons, or even management reasons which were understood by key personnel but their hands were tied) ---
and them being let know, if you ever want to come back, no problem.
They find something for em, or they'll put em in at the next vacancy.
This all has to do with a person's personality and his/her strengths.
Based on your energy/karma, you have to move forward.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs