WikiLeaks posts 'killing' video

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 20:36:58
WikiLeaks has posted a video on its website which it claims shows the killing of civilians by the US military in Baghdad in 2007.

The website's organisers say they were given the footage, which they say comes from cameras on US Apache helicopters. The video, released on Monday, is of high quality and appears to be authentic, the BBC's Adam Brookes in Washington says.

The video shows a street in Baghdad and a group of about eight people, whom the helicopter pilots deem to be insurgents. It then shows the individuals on the street being shot dead with the Apache's cannon.

Then, a van drives onto the scene, and its occupants appear to start picking up the wounded. It, too, is fired upon. Altogether, around 12 people die. Two children appear to be injured.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8603938.stm
\m//O_O\\m/

#2New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 20:47:29
Watch it here
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#3New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 21:08:57
if innocent people are being killed, then yes i agree this is a horrible act.

but also in the BBC piece i see that

"WikiLeaks organisers complained recently of coming under surveillance by the US government, and of harassment by other governments, ostensibly for their role in posting leaked documents on sensitive subjects. "

If that means anything about the video being authentic or not
\m//O_O\\m/

#4New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 21:23:12
@ssnot_me Said

if innocent people are being killed, then yes i agree this is a horrible act.

but also in the BBC piece i see that

"WikiLeaks organisers complained recently of coming under surveillance by the US government, and of harassment by other governments, ostensibly for their role in posting leaked documents on sensitive subjects. "

If that means anything about the video being authentic or not

I'd say it pretty much confirms it's authentic.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#5New Post! Apr 05, 2010 @ 21:32:20
@SparklyKatie Said

I'd say it pretty much confirms it's authentic.

ok, i guess i was thinking the other direction(they are making stuff up). but i don't know for sure either way.
_abnormalmind_ On January 04, 2013

Central Florida, Florida
#7New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 00:59:56
This is disturbing.

https://wikileaks.org/
TenaciousDave On February 11, 2022
The Anus Of Satan

Jeffrey Dahmer's Lunchbox,
#8New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 01:06:06
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 01:44:18
@GTFO Said

Sad...It's also disturbing to see Reuters embed photographers into a combat zone with the enemy while cobra gunships are flying around. What were they thinking ?

It's also sad to see US forces making no effort whatsoever to identify combatants versus civilians. Mistaking a camera for an RPG and a tripod for an AK-47?

Even worse than that is the fact that US forces have no problem whatsoever opening fire on a pair of civilians driving along in a van with children who stop to try to help a man dying on the side of the road.
raditz On April 07, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#11New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 01:50:26
@jonnythan Said

It's also sad to see US forces making no effort whatsoever to identify combatants versus civilians. Mistaking a camera for an RPG and a tripod for an AK-47?

Even worse than that is the fact that US forces have no problem whatsoever opening fire on a pair of civilians driving along in a van with children who stop to try to help a man dying on the side of the road.

I'm sure they saw the children in the van before they opened fire.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#13New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 01:57:07
@GTFO Said

Obviously they didn't see the children.Yes,war is hell.

"War is hell" doesn't justify attacking and killing a group of unarmed civilians not doing anything wrong.

And it sure as f*** doesn't justify attacking and killing a few civilians in a van trying to provide aid to the wounded.

What the US forces did here was absolutely wrong and completely unjustifiable.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#15New Post! Apr 06, 2010 @ 02:11:09
@GTFO Said

I didn't see the video. But I did read the article that said there were armed men there.That's why the gunship opened fire. Where am I going wrong about this ? Are you saying that the US military deliberately shot children? That they knew there were unarmed civilians? Is that what you are saying ,jonnythan ?

There were no armed men there. The article says that the gunship identified the men as carrying guns. They weren't. They were carrying cameras and tripods, not guns.

I'm not saying the US forces intentionally killed children or even intentionally killed unarmed civilians. I'm saying that they did a disgustingly, pathetically bad job identifying a bunch of unarmed, innocent photographers as armed insurgents.

The incident with the van is more disturbing. It seems that the US forces were just in killing mode and just didn't care whether or not the people aiding the wounded were insurgents or not.

Look, the facts are that the US engaged and killed a group of unarmed photographers because they failed to exercise proper care identifying people before shooting them. Then, the US engaged and killed some civilians providing aid to another wounded civilian because, at the very least, they failed to exercise proper care identifying people before shooting them.

Those are facts. The US engaged and killed a group of unarmed, innocent photographers. Sure, "war is hell" and other s*** like that. But the US f***ed up big time and the f***up resulted in a lot of innocent dead bodies.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs