Why the District of Columbia still lacks voting rights

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#1New Post! Mar 30, 2011 @ 12:21:46
An interesting read.

Seems that racism and partisan politics are still alive and well.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#2New Post! Mar 30, 2011 @ 13:06:03
Ain't no way I'd be for making it essentially another state, not without correcting a lot of other political bs going on like rampant voter fraud and lax immigration policy for partisan political purposes.

But yes, it needs to be corrected. I'd be willing set things up so they could vote with Maryland in their national elections. Maryland in return would receive their local taxes.

Deleted

#3New Post! Mar 30, 2011 @ 13:23:20
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Ain't no way I'd be for making it essentially another state, not without correcting a lot of other political bs going on like rampant voter fraud and lax immigration policy for partisan political purposes.

But yes, it needs to be corrected. I'd be willing set things up so they could vote with Maryland in their national elections. Maryland in return would receive their local taxes.

Wow.. Not only did you obviously not read the article, but you have absolutely no clue about what you're talking about.

Good to see that some things don't change.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 03:53:09
@boxerdc Said

Wow.. Not only did you obviously not read the article, but you have absolutely no clue about what you're talking about.

It's the ODS. Nasty s***.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#5New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 05:45:36
@boxerdc Said

I did read the article and I'm dying to see what I missed. You're so lame you can't even stand it when I agree with you.

Deleted

#6New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 12:15:47
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I did read the article and I'm dying to see what I missed. You're so lame you can't even stand it when I agree with you.

Well, lets start with the fact that was clearly stated in the article, that DC received NATIONAL voting rights in 1961. So, they don't need to partner up with Maryland to get something that they already have.

Then, let's go to the FACT that was clearly stated in the article that the constitution forbids DC from becoming a state, something that you seem to have missed.

Then, lets address the issue of "voter fraud" that you brought up. It's nowhere in the article, and it's not a local issue, so it's clearly something that you imagined was there.

DC has no representation in congress. They have one seat in the house of representatives, but she has no vote. Yet they pay federal taxes. DC has it's own city government, but all budgets have to be approved by Congress, even though DC has no say in Congress.

It's an issue that should be near and dear to your little teabagger heart.. Taxation without representation, plain and simple.

Either the residents of DC should be exempt from federal taxes, because they have no representation in Congress, or they should have appropriate representation in Congress.

I would hope that the above helps, but since you "read" the article, and got it completely wrong, I sincerely doubt it will. You truly seem to have a problem with understanding the written word, so you just seem to let your imagination fill in the blanks.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 12:50:53
@boxerdc Said

Well, lets start with the fact that was clearly stated in the article, that DC received NATIONAL voting rights in 1961. So, they don't need to partner up with Maryland to get something that they already have.

Then, let's go to the FACT that was clearly stated in the article that the constitution forbids DC from becoming a state, something that you seem to have missed.

As your own link said about that amendment, it allowed them to only vote in a national election for president, not for a senator or congressman--WHICH WAS THE SUBSTANCE OF YOUR OBJECTION. And I wasn't advocating making them a state, only voting with Maryland for those national offices, which would represent them in Congress as part of the Maryland constituency.

It appears that you not only didn't read my post, but you didn't read or comprehend your own link.

Quote:
Then, lets address the issue of "voter fraud" that you brought up. It's nowhere in the article, and it's not a local issue, so it's clearly something that you imagined was there.

I never said it was in the article, just that I'd be willing only if actions were taken against those abuses. You really gotta stop reading s*** into stuff.

Quote:
It's an issue that should be near and dear to your little teabagger heart.. Taxation without representation, plain and simple.

Your "teabagger" pejorative is nothing short of name calling (the irony being you probably are one yourself), and the taxation without representation issue was the part I was agreeing with you on.

Quote:
Either the residents of DC should be exempt from federal taxes, because they have no representation in Congress, or they should have appropriate representation in Congress.

What you're history says is that your opponent is always wrong, even in cases like this where they agree with you, and it's so foreign to your psyche it renders you more blatantly irrational than usual.

It appears Sorros is scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for operatives these days.

Deleted

#8New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 13:16:30
@ThePainefulTruth Said

As your own link said about that amendment, it allowed them to only vote in a national election for president, not for a senator or congressman--WHICH WAS THE SUBSTANCE OF YOUR OBJECTION. And I wasn't advocating making them a state, only voting with Maryland for those national offices, which would represent them in Congress as part of the Maryland constituency.

It appears that you not only didn't read my post, but you didn't read or comprehend your own link.

I never said it was in the article, just that I'd be willing only if actions were taken against those abuses. You really gotta stop reading s*** into stuff.

Your "teabagger" pejorative is nothing short of name calling (the irony being you probably are one yourself), and the taxation without representation issue was the part I was agreeing with you on.

What you're history says is that your opponent is always wrong, even in cases like this where they agree with you, and it's so foreign to your psyche it renders you more blatantly irrational than usual.

It appears Sorros is scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for operatives these days.

There are no voter or immigration abuses in DC that are not happening everywhere else in the country.. and exactly how could the District of Columbia be represented by the State of Maryland?

Would that mean that the state of Maryland would get 4 senators? Or would they just get the two they currently have, so the District would get nothing? Or are you saying that they should add 630,000 people to the population of Maryland and give them three more seats in the House of Representatives? Because that wouldn't work either, your teabaggers would rather slit their own throats than have three more liberals in the House.. Especially since doing that would make Michelle Bachmanns seat go away..

So, You can toss out names, and once again make a sexually suggestive comment about me, but it doesn't make you look any less stupid or ignorant. You have no clue about how things work, and you never will because you make s*** up, and then believe it to be true.

Psychiatrists have a name for people like that, you might want to talk to one.. While you're there, tell him that you've got this thing where you can't help thinking about what gay men do in bed too.. They've got a name for people like that as well.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 14:30:14
Quote:
The anniversary is worth remembering, both because the amendment was an important step toward full political equality for citizens of the nation’s capital and because it was frustratingly incomplete.
A half-century later, the District of Columbia’s population, estimated in the new census at 601,723, is larger than Wyoming’s and only slightly smaller than Vermont’s. Yet Washingtonians still have no meaningful voice in Congress and lack full authority over their own affairs

This Kate Masur started off using logic and sense .

Then stopped and started talking out her ***.

Quote:
Another is race. A half-century after the dawn of the civil rights era, many Americans still have a hard time seeing African-Americans as citizens entitled to the rights that so many white people take for granted. For residents of a place once known as “Chocolate City,” these attitudes are a sadly familiar obstacle to equality

Unless there is proof that it is only the black or minority citizens that have the issue of “Taxation Without Representation” to deal with and that this does not apply to all the non minority citizens of DC ,
Why is race is even being brought up ? .
This statement by Kate Masur is simply her opinion and total hog wash .

First she just throws out a broad generalization by saying " many Americans " then does flip flop (in the same sentence) by saying it's white people that is the problem . here does she get off thinking she can make an accusation like that about " so many white people" ??

Here is another interesting read .
It helps put tings into perspective for us Americans that are " unaware" of the capital’s anomalous status
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#10New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 14:37:58
@boxerdc Said

There are no voter or immigration abuses in DC that are not happening everywhere else in the country.. and exactly how could the District of Columbia be represented by the State of Maryland?

I was talking about voter and immigration abuses everywhere. (Do I have to explain everything.....three times?)

Quote:
Would that mean that the state of Maryland would get 4 senators? Or would they just get the two they currently have, so the District would get nothing?

More obtuse obfuscation. Those would be the senators and congressmen they voted for, which of course means those officials would have to demagogue the DC voters as well...which has apparently never been a problem for any Democrat.

Quote:
Or are you saying that they should add 630,000 people to the population of Maryland and give them three more seats in the House of Representatives?

Three??? The current number based on the 2010 Census is over 700,000 which might not even be one.

Quote:
Because that wouldn't work either, your teabaggers would rather slit their own throats than have three more liberals in the House.. Especially since doing that would make Michelle Bachmanns seat go away..

I know consistency and integrity or foreign concepts to you, but yeah, whatever it takes to be to get them fair representation. (Michelle Bachmann, WTF???)

You saying "your teabaggers" iould be equivalent "your niggers".

Quote:
So, You can toss out names, and once again make a sexually suggestive comment about me, but it doesn't make you look any less stupid or ignorant.

The sexual suggestion is yours, based on a practice which most Tea Party associates have no idea about what it means.

Deleted

#11New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 14:42:04
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I was talking about voter and immigration abuses everywhere. (Do I have to explain everything.....three times?)

The sexual suggestion is yours, based on a practice which most Tea Party associates have no idea about what it means.

So why does DC have to wait until you clean up your own mess with voter fraud and immigration before they get representation?

And please stop being sexually suggestive toward me. Every time you do it, I feel like I need to shower.

Also, if most teabaggers don't know what it means, then it's proof positive that they're morons, and are generally unable to do any research for themselves.

That would explain your ideas.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#12New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 14:45:51
@boxerdc Said

Also, if most teabaggers don't know what it means, then it's proof positive that they're morons, and are generally unable to do any research for themselves.

The point is not that they don't know what it means, the point is that you do.
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 14:46:09
@boxerdc Said

And please stop being sexually suggestive toward me. Every time you do it, I feel like I need to shower.

Hell i havent gotten out of the shower and i feel dirty

Deleted

#14New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 14:59:04
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The point is not that they don't know what it means, the point is that you do.

The point is that if they can't be bothered to find out what it means then they're either morons, or they're not willing to think for themselves.

I'm going with a combination of "morons who aren't willing to think for themselves", because it explains so much of what you post about them.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Mar 31, 2011 @ 18:05:37
@white_swan53 Said

This Kate Masur started off using logic and sense .

Then stopped and started talking out her ***.

Unless there is proof that it is only the black or minority citizens that have the issue of “Taxation Without Representation” to deal with and that this does not apply to all the non minority citizens of DC ,
Why is race is even being brought up ? .
This statement by Kate Masur is simply her opinion and total hog wash .

First she just throws out a broad generalization by saying " many Americans " then does flip flop (in the same sentence) by saying it's white people that is the problem . here does she get off thinking she can make an accusation like that about " so many white people" ??

Here is another interesting read .
It helps put tings into perspective for us Americans that are " unaware" of the capital’s anomalous status

The reference to race was an aside. The Story was the taxation without representation.
"At the same time, the city’s proportion of black residents dropped to 52.7 percent from 59.4 percent, while its share of white residents rose to 33.3 percent from 27.8 percent."
https://blackpoliticsontheweb.com/2011/02/14/job-market-changing-d-c-s-income-and-racial-makeup/
This might actually make the point. Now that there is an increase in white affluent population, people who complain WILL be listened to, unlike poor & minority people of whom a deaf ear is the norm.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs