Fashion

Why pink?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
coolhand On March 11, 2013

Fayetteville, Arkansas
#1New Post! Oct 05, 2012 @ 22:28:56
One thing that has begun to perplex me is that everytime I watch a sporting event this time of year, there is a large quantity of pink everywhere. I mean everything from the towels that football players use to dry their hands to, in some extreme cases, uniforms that have a large quantity of the color incorporated.

I am aware that this is in response to breast cancer awareness month, but is it really? I choose to post this topic in the "Fashion" forum simply because this is the realm in which you see a heavy tribal influence in our's and other cultures(I also did this in order to engage people with different oppinions than those of the forums I traditionally post in). By this, I mean that people that are festooned in similar garb are more recognizable to others of that same group.

My theory is that the use of this color has very little to do with breast cancer, and an awful lot more to do with societal conformity. How else could you more easily identify those who don't think like you in order to make judgements on their personality, and reward the ones that do think like you?

I know it may sound silly, but I have actually been pressured by people in my family and non-family social circle to "conform" to this, but I refuse. While I do believe all cancer survivors and sufferer's deserve all the support that can be given, I don't see how the color of my clothing helps. It is, in my opinion, just an attempt to get me to conform to the group that they have already chosen to, in order to establish yet another social link with them.

It's just my humble opinion on the topic. What do you think?
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 05, 2012 @ 22:44:45
Is it maybe that there isn't really that much pink, it's just more noticeable than other colours?
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#3New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 00:08:29
When you buy something representative of the fight against breast cancer you support the campaign not only by showing it; you support it financially. They raise money and also huge corporations donate. I've had too many loved ones die or almost die. How does a little pink bother anybody when it's for a good cause? Today I bought a pink fight against cancer Swiffer. That's not fashion. Get the pink pen.When I read this I think, "Someone else needs more information."
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#4New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 00:19:47
@ReAdSaLoT Said
When I read this I think, "Someone else needs more information."

That's what I thought too. Sad, but oh well, he's entitled to his opinion.

Personally when I see it know the people who are wearing the colors donated time and/or money to help the search for a cure.

Simply said, it's awareness to the cause. The people who organized it, did a great job at making people aware.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 04:11:59
@coolhand Said

One thing that has begun to perplex me is that everytime I watch a sporting event this time of year, there is a large quantity of pink everywhere. I mean everything from the towels that football players use to dry their hands to, in some extreme cases, uniforms that have a large quantity of the color incorporated.

I am aware that this is in response to breast cancer awareness month, but is it really? I choose to post this topic in the "Fashion" forum simply because this is the realm in which you see a heavy tribal influence in our's and other cultures(I also did this in order to engage people with different oppinions than those of the forums I traditionally post in). By this, I mean that people that are festooned in similar garb are more recognizable to others of that same group.

My theory is that the use of this color has very little to do with breast cancer, and an awful lot more to do with societal conformity. How else could you more easily identify those who don't think like you in order to make judgements on their personality, and reward the ones that do think like you?

I know it may sound silly, but I have actually been pressured by people in my family and non-family social circle to "conform" to this, but I refuse. While I do believe all cancer survivors and sufferer's deserve all the support that can be given, I don't see how the color of my clothing helps. It is, in my opinion, just an attempt to get me to conform to the group that they have already chosen to, in order to establish yet another social link with them.

It's just my humble opinion on the topic. What do you think?

Well you went on the internet and started talking about breast cancer.

So yes, it increases awareness. It also significantly increases sales of related pink items, and a portion of the purchase price of these items goes to breast cancer research.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#6New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 04:41:01
What do I think?

I think people are out there wearing pink and buying pink things to show their support and also because proceeds go to help fight breast cancer. October is breast cancer awareness month and what better arena to use to help the cause than professional athletes who millions of people around the world will see.

Many women die from this disease. Many women lose their breasts from this disease and this is affecting millions of women and you want to ask why people are wearing pink?

I want to ask why its such a big deal to you. WOMEN ARE DYING and yet people wearing pink seems to bother you.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 16:45:31
@DorkySupergirl Said

What do I think?

I think people are out there wearing pink and buying pink things to show their support and also because proceeds go to help fight breast cancer. October is breast cancer awareness month and what better arena to use to help the cause than professional athletes who millions of people around the world will see.

Many women die from this disease. Many women lose their breasts from this disease and this is affecting millions of women and you want to ask why people are wearing pink?

I want to ask why its such a big deal to you. WOMEN ARE DYING and yet people wearing pink seems to bother you.

Perhaps what he is trying to say is that charity should be anonymous.

Not something you are supposed to show off about.

BTW what colour represents the fight against testicular cancer?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 16:53:42
@MAW Said

Snark fail: breast cancer kills about 100 times as many women as testicular cancer. Also, the color is yellow. Lance Armstrong's Livestrong foundation, along with its signature yellow color, was started as a result of his fight with testicular cancer.

#9New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 16:54:10
@MAW Said

https://ddcatalog.homestead.com/RibbonAwareness.html
As I said to him, people aren't aware. There are colors for many illnesses. It's not charity, it's helping people survive an illness and make others aware.
Violet is the color for testicular cancer.
Please click the link.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#10New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 16:55:39
@jonnythan Said

Snark fail: breast cancer kills about 100 times as many women as testicular cancer. Also, the color is yellow. Lance Armstrong's Livestrong foundation, along with its signature yellow color, was started as a result of his fight with testicular cancer.

No it doesn't, the yellow does not exclusively stand for testicular cancer.

#11New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 17:00:06
@MAW Said

You didn't click my link. Arguing about a color someone chooses to use to support their cause just makes me want to scream.
I watched my mother die, my cousin die, and two close friends. Violet is for testicular cancer.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 17:01:31
@ReAdSaLoT Said

You didn't click my link. Arguing about a color someone chooses to use to support their cause just makes me want to scream.
I watched my mother die, my cousin die, and two close friends. Violet is for testicular cancer.

I am sorry for you loss and don't want to make you scream. Thank you for the link and I will click it.

#13New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 17:03:00
@MAW Said

I am sorry for you loss and don't want to make you scream. Thank you for the link and I will click it.

Thank you.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 17:42:54
@MAW Said

I never said it did. It is, however, associated with testicular cancer due to its history. This is besides the fact that testicular cancer kills 100 times fewer men than breast cancer kills women.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#15New Post! Oct 06, 2012 @ 17:46:41
@MAW Said

Your attempt to be smartass with me has backfired. He is not talking about people donating money and showing off about it and that it should be anonymous. He is talking about the pink everywhere this time of month and why do they wear pink. They wear pink to bring awareness and also because part of the proceeds go to breast cancer.

One does not bring about awareness by not talking about it and making it anonymous.

@MAW Said

People are dying of various forms of cancer and you are choosing to argue about what color represents what form of cancer. Sad, really and utterly and truly sad.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs