The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Why is it deemed racist to call blacks black but not whites white?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...13 14 15 · >>
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#16New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 22:20:49
Here in Northern Australia there's a large Indigenous population, and that's the only currently acceptable word, Indigenous. Anything else, even "Aboriginal" will call a storm down on your head, or worse.
It's like everything human though, there's fads and fashions, it's always changing, and that's why you end up getting a smile from one person and a smack in the mouth from the next, for using the same word!
I can't see any "solution" to this, it's unfortunately normal human behaviour.
Jason13 On October 22, 2010

Melbourne, Australia
#17New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 22:25:48
@Marcussextus Said

Here in Northern Australia there's a large Indigenous population, and that's the only currently acceptable word, Indigenous. Anything else, even "Aboriginal" will call a storm down on your head, or worse.
It's like everything human though, there's fads and fashions, it's always changing, and that's why you end up getting a smile from one person and a smack in the mouth from the next, for using the same word!
I can't see any "solution" to this, it's unfortunately normal human behaviour.

Isn't that because Aboriginal is the name the White Man gave them?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#18New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 22:34:01
I have noticed though, now on TV and some daytime talk shows, that the term 'African American' is being used and I no longer hear 'Black'. I can't see how the term 'Black' could be racist. It has been used for years by people and on TV/movies.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#19New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 23:29:39
@unicorn Said

Just wondering, I have no particular standpoint, just musing...

I have never heard of such a thing!!!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 23:31:49
It's not racist to call a black person black. Something that made me laugh was when a white American politician referred to a Jamaican guest speaker as an 'African American'.
kinkykaie On December 18, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 23:36:41
Any black people i know don't seem to mind being referred to as black.

The thing that confuses me most is when people call a Pakistani person a Paki why is that racist? when it's acceptable to call a British person a Brit, an Australian an Aussie and an American a Yank (no offense intended to anyone from any of those countries they're the first ones that came into my head).

Personally i really don't think that term is racist, it's just an abbreviation of their country of birth.

Adelaide, Australia
#22New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 23:43:08
@Jason13 Said

Isn't that because Aboriginal is the name the White Man gave them?

Nah, up until PC happened, it was a descriptive word, it basically means the same thing as "Indigenous",..local people.
Once all the "sensitivities" happened, logic and common-sense went out the window, now I tend to just call them Aussies, and no-one's protested about that,....yet.
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#23New Post! Dec 17, 2009 @ 23:46:39
I never thought it was racist. It depends on how you say it and in what context... if you're just stating it....
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#24New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 00:15:23
@unicorn Said

That's the feeling I get here, it's getting so politically correct, there was a discussion not so long ago about whether coppers are allowed to describe a person's ethnicity that they may be looking for..in relation to a crime

I'm accustomed to hearing cops say "black male/female" or "white male/female" on TV. I was watching a new detective show on court TV and the cops were saying "male black" and "male white". That irritated me to no end because it sounds idiotic.

Melbourne, Australia
#25New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 00:20:49
@Marcussextus Said

Nah, up until PC happened, it was a descriptive word, it basically means the same thing as "Indigenous",..local people.
Once all the "sensitivities" happened, logic and common-sense went out the window, now I tend to just call them Aussies, and no-one's protested about that,....yet.

Yeah, well that makes sense too. Being in Melbourne, we don't really have that issue, as I'm guessing that it's too damn cold down here for them to want to spend any decent amount of time.

Look out on that Aussie thing....After all wasn't it The devil white man that named it Australia?

Adelaide, Australia
#26New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 00:22:43
@Jason13 Said

Yeah, well that makes sense too. Being in Melbourne, we don't really have that issue, as I'm guessing that it's too damn cold down here for them to want to spend any decent amount of time.

Look out on that Aussie thing....After all wasn't it The devil white man that named it Australia?

Yeah, ya can't win sometimes!
kinkykaie On December 18, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 00:24:04
@PaNda Said

I'm accustomed to hearing cops say "black male/female" or "white male/female" on TV. I was watching a new detective show on court TV and the cops were saying "male black" and "male white". That irritated me to no end because it sounds idiotic.

In the UK they use numbers... a white male is an IC1 and a black male is IC2.

Melbourne, Australia
#28New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 00:24:05
@Marcussextus Said

Yeah, ya can't win sometimes!

you REALLY can't with all this bubble wrapped PC BS going on nowdays....<< that makes me sound as old as my age appears on here! I am pretty old school in my way of thinking though.

Adelaide, Australia
#29New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 00:32:15
@kinkykaie Said

In the UK they use numbers... a white male is an IC1 and a black male is IC2.

Yeah, caught that on "The Bill".
Seems crazy to me, to call them by race is unacceptable, assign a number to each race and use that instead, and it's different how ?

Melbourne, Australia
#30New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 00:43:57
@Marcussextus Said

Yeah, caught that on "The Bill".
Seems crazy to me, to call them by race is unacceptable, assign a number to each race and use that instead, and it's different how ?

But on the other hand, have you noticed on crimestoppers recently? They'll give a description of the person, but say NOTHING about his skin colour. Looking at the photo of him, he's OBVIOUSLY Asian for example, but it's a medium sized man, with medium build, with dark hair, brown eyes, and was wearing a blue jumper, with dark jeans. They can say everything except Asian appearance, or has a dark complexion, or even if he's caucasian, so it's working both ways. But if their describing a criminal, that "will help with their investigation" they can't even say what race he is. Based on the information I gave above, that could be like 80% of australias population. But if you were to say he was of asian appearance or with a dark complexion, well that would at least narrow it down to around 75%
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...13 14 15 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs