Why does anything exist?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:33:14
Well? I mean, it's not like anything actually needs to exist. Why isn't there just nothing?
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#2New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:34:15
i've thought of that before.
and i really don't know...
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#3New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:39:03
@buffalobill90 Said

Well? I mean, it's not like anything actually needs to exist. Why isn't there just nothing?

who says this is all real or exists? it could just be a figment of your imagination.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:40:10
@ssnot_me Said

who says this is all real or exists? it could just be a figment of your imagination.

Ah... I think therefore I am. Imagination suggests some level of existence, even if our experiences are an illusion.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:41:56
@ssnot_me Said

That would still mean that you who has the imagination exists though, so that would still be something in existence.

I don't really know, I have often wondered it myself. Maybe nothingness is a human construct though and only came to be used to describe the lack of something that should be there. If nothing existed then we wouldn't say it was nothingness as to be nothingness it would have first had to be something. That's how I see it anyway, I've probably confused myself somewhere.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:45:39
@sister_of_mercy Said

That would still mean that you who has the imagination exists though, so that would still be something in existence.

I don't really know, I have often wondered it myself. Maybe nothingness is a human construct though and only came to be used to describe the lack of something that should be there. If nothing existed then we wouldn't say it was nothingness as to be nothingness it would have first had to be something. That's how I see it anyway, I've probably confused myself somewhere.

A very good point, I've never looked at it that way. Still, it's difficult to see how nothingness is impossible - of course, we have never actually encountered nothingness, and have no reason to think that it "exists". But it is intuitively true that certain things do not exist, for example unicorns. So isn't it possible that the universe and all 'real' things could also not exist?

big D, Texas
#7New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:47:01
@sister_of_mercy Said

today is friday, i didn't think i was going be having to think this much!
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 15:59:25
@ssnot_me Said

Think dammit! Think like you've never thought before!
Hnnnnrrh!

sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 16:02:12
@buffalobill90 Said

A very good point, I've never looked at it that way. Still, it's difficult to see how nothingness is impossible - of course, we have never actually encountered nothingness, and have no reason to think that it "exists". But it is intuitively true that certain things do not exist, for example unicorns. So isn't it possible that the universe and all 'real' things could also not exist?

I always was under the impression that although things like unicorns do not exist, the basic concepts that beings like unicorns are made from (tail, mane, whatever) are in existence, which allows us to create these things out of existing components.

I suppose you're right though, if something exists then it also has the potential to not exist.

@ssnot_me Said

Know what you mean! I'm in a very philosophical mood today.

big D, Texas
#10New Post! Jan 15, 2010 @ 16:16:40
@buffalobill90 Said

Think dammit! Think like you've never thought before!
Hnnnnrrh!

@sister_of_mercy Said

I always was under the impression that although things like unicorns do not exist, the basic concepts that beings like unicorns are made from (tail, mane, whatever) are in existence, which allows us to create these things out of existing components.

I suppose you're right though, if something exists then it also has the potential to not exist.

Know what you mean! I'm in a very philosophical mood today.

This quote makes me think:

"The Anthropic Cosmological Principle" by John Barrow and Frank Tipler, I quote:

"In a randomly infinite Universe, any event occurring here and now with finite probability must be occurring simultaneously at an infinite number of other sites in the Universe. It is hard to evaluate this idea any further, but one thing is certain: if it is true then it is certainly not original!"

the only issue with this is that we have to assume there are an infinite number of universes