Why do we own pets?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Conflict On about 13 hours ago

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#16New Post! Jan 24, 2020 @ 21:27:18
@Jennifer1984 Said

In a technical sense you are mostly right in your proposition, but that is only if you treat animals by human standards which, obviously you cannot do because they're not humans.

It is true they cannot read or write. Neither of my cats will ever write Hamlet. I've always disagreed with the "Infinite number of monkeys" theorem. But they don't need to. They don't have art and therefore there is no need for them to express themselves in a literary way, or understand the literary works of others.

But that doesn't mean they're incapable of communicating. My cats let me know when they're hungry.

When we first had them, they would bring their kills home. I was forever shooing them away from the back door when they came home with a dead mouse in their maw. But why did they do this..? They did it because they think I'm a rotten hunter and need teaching how to obtain food. That is a form of communication.

I disagree that non-human species are incapable of construction. Rather, they construct what they need. Beavers construct dams. Birds construct nests. As for the advanced construction, I offer you The Honeycomb and the spider web. Apes have an opposable thumb and are therefore, in physical terms, as technically adept as humans. They have been known to make simple tools, such as stripping twigs of leaves to make rods to reach inside ant nests for food.

Animals do work. indeed, many sub-species of dogs have been bred specifically as working animals such as Border Collies for herding sheep. Dogs are trained for police work in sniffing out drugs or explosives. The blind are grateful for their guide dogs.

The human race has utilised animals for our own purposes for thousands of years and, because we are an advanced species, we have taken the role of master. But that doesn't mean animals are stupid, cannot learn or cannot be bred for specific roles.

It is true that their evolution has not been as rapid or adaptive as ours, but that is because they haven't had to.

A lion doesn't need to farm to eat. It is adapted to hunt for meat.

Humans - in an evolutionary sense - are not physically adapted to survive. We have no large teeth or claws. We are not powerfully strong and we can't run, jump or swim very quickly. By regular nature standards, in the wild we would be prey. We should have been hunted to extinction a very long time ago.

if, that is, it were not for our brain. It is our brain (and an opposable thumb) that has enabled us to elevate our species above the animal kingdom.

We shouldn't judge animals in a derogatory sense because they don't have our advantage. Rather, I feel, we should admire the way many animals have adapted themselves to live among us, provide whatever service they can for us, and thrive alongside us.

If they're passengers on the human journey, they're paying their way.

I agree with your assessment halfway. I have proof that animals can serve as a source of comfort for those in need. My cat Emil shares his body heat with my mother when she is hurt or in a bad state of mind. This helps her recovery very well and at present, I couldn't have a better companion for my mother. In this respect, yes, animals are definetely of value.

However, Emil's disadvantaged in that he can't be a more integral part of human life. He has been unable to support me in times of difficulty and I've had to bear the load of taking care of my mother without a fellow bipedal being at my side to give me aid of any kind. I wish he had and maybe my life would've turned out differently - I endured some very difficult struggles and Emil was unable to do anything about it. If he'd been human, he would have. I've been forever marked by that.

Also, Emil never got to meet other people and introduce them to me or my mother, another disability he's got as an animal. He's admired and he should be, but that doesn't change the fact he can never integrate into human society as he could have had he been born a human. As loving as pets can be in an urban environment, they can't participate as much as they should.
Darkman666 On about 13 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#17New Post! Jan 24, 2020 @ 22:04:27
hamsters and gerbrils are good for shish kabobs and smore to roasted over a camper trip on open fire.

I am sorry thought we start new topic on 101 ways use your pet.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#18New Post! Feb 09, 2020 @ 14:28:53
I cannot deny the comapnionship that animals offer. It's very well known and respected throughout the world. I have experienced and enjoyed the company of animals and I too think it's a good thing, but I also can't disregard the following.

NO BROTHERS OR SISTERS IN LAW - ANIMALS CAN'T FULFILL THIS ROLE

NO POSSIBILITY OF GETTING TO MEET OTHER PEOPLE - ANIMALS ARE UNABLE TO INTRODUCE US TO PEOPLE WHO COULD HELP US EXPAND OUR SOCIAL OR PROFESSIONAL ROLES IN SOCIETY

NO POTENTIAL MATES - WE CAN'T MATE WITH ANIMALS, THEY CAN'T PRESENT OUR FUTURE HUSBANDS OR WIVES TO US.

The bottom line: they take up space and only perform a healing role that is very limited when you look at it!
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#19New Post! Feb 10, 2020 @ 05:39:44
@Conflict Said

NO BROTHERS OR SISTERS IN LAW - ANIMALS CAN'T FULFILL THIS ROLE

Dogs are way better at detecting bombs and drugs. Granted those dogs aren't really "pets" they are working dogs.

@Conflict Said

NO POSSIBILITY OF GETTING TO MEET OTHER PEOPLE - ANIMALS ARE UNABLE TO INTRODUCE US TO PEOPLE WHO COULD HELP US EXPAND OUR SOCIAL OR PROFESSIONAL ROLES IN SOCIETY

People meet other people by way of their pets all the time: as listed on a dating site; while walking your pet; while taking your pet to a park; while purchasing pet food; while going to a pet store... watch 101 Dalmations (original). Yes it is a bit contrived, but honestly not far off... and I would never trust a politician, business person, or anyone else who didn't like dogs and/or dogs didn't like him/her.

Cats are a bit different, but if my cat doesn't like "you", you will never be my girlfriend.

@Conflict Said

NO POTENTIAL MATES - WE CAN'T MATE WITH ANIMALS, THEY CAN'T PRESENT OUR FUTURE HUSBANDS OR WIVES TO US.

So what.

@Conflict Said

The bottom line: they take up space and only perform a healing role that is very limited when you look at it!

My cat provides more than a "healing" role. We hang out together. My brother's dogs go hiking with him.

Every girlfriend I ever had, took up space, cost money, periodically argued with me over stupid s*** (granted that was often my fault)... and most didn't provide even the most minimal "healing" role.

I've never had a pet steal any of my money, lie to me, or cheat on me... etc.

I admit that my cat is a bit greedy when it comes to gophers... he eats everything except the guts, which he leaves for me.

I get it that YOU don't like and value pets, but YOU don't get to dictate what other people view as valid, viable, important, etc.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#20New Post! Feb 11, 2020 @ 00:54:07
So here's a piece that intrigues by the title:
Save the planet & die alone: Swedish prof says we should ditch pet cats & dogs, for climate’s sake
Considering the source (RT), I figured it would be entertaining.

And the author sucks you in with interesting counterpoint, until it gets to the punchline-extremism ...

And all with a happy ending:

If ditching cats and dogs fails to save the planet, there's always a silver lining. Before our pets' carnivorous diets heat Earth beyond habitability, Big Business stands to make a killing in psychiatric medication. After all, loneliness kills – kills worse than smoking, if the experts are to be believed. Generation Z is going to need medical intervention on a grand scale when they come out the other side of this green ‘phase.’

RT News

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#21New Post! Feb 15, 2020 @ 15:43:24
@chaski Said

Dogs are way better at detecting bombs and drugs. Granted those dogs aren't really "pets" they are working dogs.

People meet other people by way of their pets all the time: as listed on a dating site; while walking your pet; while taking your pet to a park; while purchasing pet food; while going to a pet store... watch 101 Dalmations (original). Yes it is a bit contrived, but honestly not far off... and I would never trust a politician, business person, or anyone else who didn't like dogs and/or dogs didn't like him/her.

Cats are a bit different, but if my cat doesn't like "you", you will never be my girlfriend.

So what.

My cat provides more than a "healing" role. We hang out together. My brother's dogs go hiking with him.

Every girlfriend I ever had, took up space, cost money, periodically argued with me over stupid s*** (granted that was often my fault)... and most didn't provide even the most minimal "healing" role.

I've never had a pet steal any of my money, lie to me, or cheat on me... etc.

I admit that my cat is a bit greedy when it comes to gophers... he eats everything except the guts, which he leaves for me.

I get it that YOU don't like and value pets, but YOU don't get to dictate what other people view as valid, viable, important, etc.

Yes, animals can act as a liaison between people. They can evolve genuine feelings for another human being. In that respect animals do have a purpose in urban life, but only up to a point.

Beyond the possibility to create human bonding, they can never play their hand in the work that people do. For the rest of their natural lives, they will never be part of the building projects or invent any of the devices we once considered the stuff of dreams.

If you want a more personable example, think of the people on low wages, struggle to make ends meet and the unemployed. Pets only consume resources, they can't earn an income to support the ones they live with. They are forever trapped in a terrible existence, unable to contribute anything to the upkeep of the humans with whom they cohabit.

I know places in my town where mascots are forbidden and with good reason. They can't be one with their environment like the people who inhabit them and will never be able to perform any role in their environment. They would only feed without helping to sustain a living. No hands, no ability to work, no height, no ability to read or write, no ability to do any office work, no advanced speech, no ability to interact with humans, no ability to reach, they are just there, occupying space and doing comparatively little to aid their human owners.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#22New Post! Feb 15, 2020 @ 17:38:33
@Conflict Said

...they will never be part of the building projects or invent any of the devices we once considered the stuff of dreams..

The vast majority of humans fall into the same category of beings that will never be part of the building projects or invent any of the devices we once considered the stuff of dreams.

On the other hands, animals (albeit not "pets" ) are important to human life; from food to research....

@Conflict Said

I know places in my town where mascots are forbidden and with good reason.

Just parts of your town that don't allow pets... that isn't very efficient.

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#23New Post! Feb 15, 2020 @ 19:27:39
@chaski Said

Just parts of your town that don't allow pets... that isn't very efficient.

Agreed. It should be a more general state, but fate has conspired to allow people free reign to adopt animals. If we really respected them, we would let them roam free, as we once did. I am not taking a personal approach to this matter - I am voicing a belief that mother nature holds dear to her heart. If animals can't help us even in basic capacities, they shouldn't be housed in our dwellings. Their roots are in the wild and I feel that we should respect that and let animals be free once again. Outside the hospital in my neck of the woods, there is a colony of cats that has settled very comfortably behind the hospital. They have occupied a patch of grassland next to the car park and seem to be thriving.

Together, away from human capivity, existing in their own communities, is a state of grace they once enjoyed and need to return to.
Darkman666 On about 13 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#24New Post! Feb 15, 2020 @ 20:41:56
101 ways to test your microwave is working

put a bowl with goldfishes in the microwave. see how it take for the goldfishes float up to the surface and explodes, under 30 seconds you have a pretty good microwave.
4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#25New Post! Feb 16, 2020 @ 05:01:43
@Cpat92 Said

Are you suggesting Pets own us?

Well, we go to work and they hang out around the house all day so......

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#26New Post! Feb 17, 2020 @ 14:27:25
@4d4m Said

Well, we go to work and they hang out around the house all day so......

I get that impression as well. While we go out and do things, they just eat and sleep without doing anything truly helpful to anyone. Comfort can only last so long and it should be earned, through study, being useful, but house pets are oblivious to the idea of more advanced involvement with humankind.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#27New Post! Feb 17, 2020 @ 17:32:45
@Conflict Said

I'm asking this question because I'd like to understand why. As cute as we think they are there are a number of truths about them that cannot be denied...

THEY ARE ILLITERATE

All species of animal can't read or write. They were designed by nature to be incapable of composing their own works, let alone read anything.

THEY CAN'T CONVERSE WITH HUMANS

Animals can never discuss with us what we enjoy, like football games or movies, one of the core social values we value so much all around the world. They can't even follow movies, as their brains are wired too differently.

THEY CAN'T BUILD ANYTHING ANYTHING ADVANCED

The limbs of animals are built in such a way that makes it impossible for them to use their digits as humans do. They will never build any kind of urban structures for the rest of their natural lives. We will never known what kind of buildings they could have errected.

THEY DON'T WORK

Cats, dogs, mice, etc, can't take jobs and support the socities they live in. They can't even reach high enough to manipulate manmade constructs without leaping to greater heights in many cases. They'll never pay taxes or bills, depriving our communities of what would have been extra workers who could have helped lessen the various economic crises human economies have suffered.

That's about it, straight from the horse's mouth. So, please, answer the question of this thread.

They're a non-judgmental companion, the only companionship of that type most will never find beyond their mother / father.

Edit: Bolding for contrast as thread background broken
Edited: February 17, 2020 @ 17:34
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs