The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Why do we own pets?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Conflict On September 29, 2020




Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Jan 16, 2020 @ 21:54:03
I'm asking this question because I'd like to understand why. As cute as we think they are there are a number of truths about them that cannot be denied...

THEY ARE ILLITERATE

All species of animal can't read or write. They were designed by nature to be incapable of composing their own works, let alone read anything.

THEY CAN'T CONVERSE WITH HUMANS

Animals can never discuss with us what we enjoy, like football games or movies, one of the core social values we value so much all around the world. They can't even follow movies, as their brains are wired too differently.

THEY CAN'T BUILD ANYTHING ANYTHING ADVANCED

The limbs of animals are built in such a way that makes it impossible for them to use their digits as humans do. They will never build any kind of urban structures for the rest of their natural lives. We will never known what kind of buildings they could have errected.

THEY DON'T WORK

Cats, dogs, mice, etc, can't take jobs and support the socities they live in. They can't even reach high enough to manipulate manmade constructs without leaping to greater heights in many cases. They'll never pay taxes or bills, depriving our communities of what would have been extra workers who could have helped lessen the various economic crises human economies have suffered.

That's about it, straight from the horse's mouth. So, please, answer the question of this thread.
chaski On about 2 hours ago
Stalker





Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jan 16, 2020 @ 22:39:12
@Conflict Said

I'm asking this question because I'd like to understand why. As cute as we think they are there are a number of truths about them that cannot be denied...

THEY ARE ILLITERATE

All species of animal can't read or write. They were designed by nature to be incapable of composing their own works, let alone read anything.

THEY CAN'T CONVERSE WITH HUMANS

Animals can never discuss with us what we enjoy, like football games or movies, one of the core social values we value so much all around the world. They can't even follow movies, as their brains are wired too differently.

THEY CAN'T BUILD ANYTHING ANYTHING ADVANCED

The limbs of animals are built in such a way that makes it impossible for them to use their digits as humans do. They will never build any kind of urban structures for the rest of their natural lives. We will never known what kind of buildings they could have errected.

THEY DON'T WORK

Cats, dogs, mice, etc, can't take jobs and support the socities they live in. They can't even reach high enough to manipulate manmade constructs without leaping to greater heights in many cases. They'll never pay taxes or bills, depriving our communities of what would have been extra workers who could have helped lessen the various economic crises human economies have suffered.

That's about it, straight from the horse's mouth. So, please, answer the question of this thread.



THEY ARE ILLITERATE So are many humans, and the ones that are " iterate" often seem to be willfully ignorant.

THEY CAN'T CONVERSE WITH HUMANS Well, they can't speak English, French, Spanish... Chinese...etc, but they often communicate better with humans than humans do with each other.

THEY CAN'T BUILD ANYTHING ANYTHING ADVANCED Most humans can't build anything "advanced"... in fact many can't seem to build the simplest of things... many (if not most) humans couldn't survive on there own.

THEY DON'T WORK There are plenty of animals that work just as hard, if not harder, than humans. Military & police dogs as just one example.

But as to the "why?":

> Pets are often far more reliable and trustworthy than humans.

> Pets are often more loving and caring than humans are to each other.

> I have periodically had cats... they never lied to me, never cheated on me, never stole from me.... They have been companions and friends to me. They are smart. My present cat likes to hang out with me, go on walks, climb trees together... we chase each other... play catch with acorns... etc... the only thing he does that I don't like is sometimes cross the road... this is not good, but there is no training that out of him as he was a wild cat that pretty much self domesticated...

I could go on, but will close with this: Pets (at least dogs and cats) have a very good sense about people. I have learned from experience these three things:

1. If my cat doesn't like you, there is probably a good reason for me to not like you.

2. If you don't like my cate, there is probably a good reason for me to not like you.

3. Never trust a person who doesn't like either dogs or cats. Are there good people out there that don't like dogs and cats... maybe.
darkman666 11 minutes ago




Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Jan 16, 2020 @ 23:31:16
pets are good to talk to, if your pets are talking back, then you are hearing things. you probably fell off the electric banana boat too many times. you should invest in a diggy, you diggy!

pets are not bad to eat, throw a treat in a microwave, open the microwave's door. that sucker will follow that treat. the microwave does explodes then your pet too big for microwave. the next time, pet in the oven, are cut the pet up. you probably need season on the pet, when it's done. their bones are good toothpicks for a good year to use.

nothing better on a ritz cracker!

pets are good, if you are lonely. the pet will keep you company.

the bottom line: pet is good compassion to you. you feed the pet, take care of it. you have a pet for life.
mrmhead On 33 minutes ago




NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jan 17, 2020 @ 00:18:41
@chaski Said

1. If my cat doesn't like you, there is probably a good reason for me to not like you.

2. If you don't like my cate, there is probably a good reason for me to not like you.

3. Never trust a person who doesn't like either dogs or cats. Are there good people out there that don't like dogs and cats... maybe.



Generally speaking, I'm prejudiced against cats. I don't like cats (I don't necessarily hate them either)
But if I get to know one, I may like that particular one.

.. Or I may totally hate it as in:
One college break I gave a good friend a ride home. He had a cat that he wanted to bring with him. I "knew" the cat and tolerated it, so I said fine.

Part way through the drive it crawled in my lap and I figured "OK, fine. If it settles down and naps, it'd be fine ...
But It CRAPPED In My Lap!

I pulled over, and jumped out of the car. The damn cat didn't run away and I smelled cats*** for the rest of the drive home.

Luckily the cat was NOT going back to school.

... I'm a dog person.
chaski On about 2 hours ago
Stalker





Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Jan 17, 2020 @ 01:04:41
@mrmhead Said

I smelled cats*** for the rest of the drive home.


You see... this proves my point... If you don't like my cate, there is probably a good reason for me to not like you.

That is... if you didn't like my cat, I wouldn't like you because you smelled like cat s***.




Ok.. but honesty, actually I do understand some people not really liking cats... my sister's cat was kind of a hateful jackass... it is hard to like something that hisses at you and wants to claw your ankles like Freddy Krueger... really it is...
darkman666 11 minutes ago




Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Jan 17, 2020 @ 05:14:49
in the south, they have use their pets to help their youngers to learn parallel parking.

they use their small critters to make them sit between the curb and the street, and their little youngers get in their pickups and try to parallel park the pickup. most of the youngers run over their pets.

you heard this method before in driving school in the south, there is a book out, this method in it. the book call:

101 ways to use your pets for roadkill
gakINGKONG On about 5 hours ago




, Florida
#7New Post! Jan 17, 2020 @ 13:50:24
Boredom and affluence.

A dog would be good for hunting. My hound could make my job of providing for my family a bit easier.

But what happens if my job won't permit me to hunt or makes hunting more a novelty.

With all the food stores, I really don't need to hunt. Now my dog is no longer really needed.

The same goes for Santa Claus. He was great for orphans and widows, but he's more of a trinket these days.

Meh. My wife adopted another dog and he's okay. I'll put up with this guy until he gets run over or something.
Conflict On September 29, 2020




Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#8New Post! Jan 18, 2020 @ 23:10:48
@chaski Said

THEY ARE ILLITERATE So are many humans, and the ones that are " iterate" often seem to be willfully ignorant.

THEY CAN'T CONVERSE WITH HUMANS Well, they can't speak English, French, Spanish... Chinese...etc, but they often communicate better with humans than humans do with each other.

THEY CAN'T BUILD ANYTHING ANYTHING ADVANCED Most humans can't build anything "advanced"... in fact many can't seem to build the simplest of things... many (if not most) humans couldn't survive on there own.

THEY DON'T WORK There are plenty of animals that work just as hard, if not harder, than humans. Military & police dogs as just one example.

But as to the "why?":

> Pets are often far more reliable and trustworthy than humans.

> Pets are often more loving and caring than humans are to each other.

> I have periodically had cats... they never lied to me, never cheated on me, never stole from me.... They have been companions and friends to me. They are smart. My present cat likes to hang out with me, go on walks, climb trees together... we chase each other... play catch with acorns... etc... the only thing he does that I don't like is sometimes cross the road... this is not good, but there is no training that out of him as he was a wild cat that pretty much self domesticated...

I could go on, but will close with this: Pets (at least dogs and cats) have a very good sense about people. I have learned from experience these three things:

1. If my cat doesn't like you, there is probably a good reason for me to not like you.

2. If you don't like my cate, there is probably a good reason for me to not like you.

3. Never trust a person who doesn't like either dogs or cats. Are there good people out there that don't like dogs and cats... maybe.



You make some valid points. Animals do have a sense of honor and integrity that some humans lack and they do offer company, but this does not change the fact that they can never take part in what we do. They can never play any of the sports we like, hang out with friends, get employed and contribute to the work force, or become part of anyone's family. They just eat, provide comfort, without engaging in professional and social activities, setting them apart from humans in a way that I find very sad because they will never know the joys humans do of studying, earning a living or just going out with friends.

For example, I can never share the books I read with my cat, nor can he and I watch a movie together or go out for drinks. All of those things are off-limits to him because of the way he is and nothing will change him until the day he dies. He'll never get a job and earn a well-deserved retirement, leaving behind his own personal legacy like human beings can. It's so unfair.
Jennifer1984 On about 3 hours ago
Returner and proud





Penzance, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 18, 2020 @ 23:15:05
In a technical sense you are mostly right in your proposition, but that is only if you treat animals by human standards which, obviously you cannot do because they're not humans.

It is true they cannot read or write. Neither of my cats will ever write Hamlet. I've always disagreed with the "Infinite number of monkeys" theorem. But they don't need to. They don't have art and therefore there is no need for them to express themselves in a literary way, or understand the literary works of others.

But that doesn't mean they're incapable of communicating. My cats let me know when they're hungry.

When we first had them, they would bring their kills home. I was forever shooing them away from the back door when they came home with a dead mouse in their maw. But why did they do this..? They did it because they think I'm a rotten hunter and need teaching how to obtain food. That is a form of communication.

I disagree that non-human species are incapable of construction. Rather, they construct what they need. Beavers construct dams. Birds construct nests. As for the advanced construction, I offer you The Honeycomb and the spider web. Apes have an opposable thumb and are therefore, in physical terms, as technically adept as humans. They have been known to make simple tools, such as stripping twigs of leaves to make rods to reach inside ant nests for food.

Animals do work. indeed, many sub-species of dogs have been bred specifically as working animals such as Border Collies for herding sheep. Dogs are trained for police work in sniffing out drugs or explosives. The blind are grateful for their guide dogs.

The human race has utilised animals for our own purposes for thousands of years and, because we are an advanced species, we have taken the role of master. But that doesn't mean animals are stupid, cannot learn or cannot be bred for specific roles.

It is true that their evolution has not been as rapid or adaptive as ours, but that is because they haven't had to.

A lion doesn't need to farm to eat. It is adapted to hunt for meat.

Humans - in an evolutionary sense - are not physically adapted to survive. We have no large teeth or claws. We are not powerfully strong and we can't run, jump or swim very quickly. By regular nature standards, in the wild we would be prey. We should have been hunted to extinction a very long time ago.

if, that is, it were not for our brain. It is our brain (and an opposable thumb) that has enabled us to elevate our species above the animal kingdom.

We shouldn't judge animals in a derogatory sense because they don't have our advantage. Rather, I feel, we should admire the way many animals have adapted themselves to live among us, provide whatever service they can for us, and thrive alongside us.

If they're passengers on the human journey, they're paying their way.
darkman666 11 minutes ago




Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 02:57:56
I have a small confession, when I in my 20's, I had four alley cats following me back to my apartment building. so, I was naïve back then, I decided to bring them in my apartment to feed them and let them spend night. they slept in my living room and I slept in my bedroom with the door close.

so, next morning, I came out my bedroom, and my front door was wide open. then look around, no cats, no tv, no microwave and other things. those damn cats stole everything in my living room.

they left me a note on my dining room table with one word on it:

sucker!!
DiscordTiger On about 2 hours ago
The Queen of Random

Administrator




Emerald City, United States (g
#11New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 02:58:49
I’d argue companionship is enough. There are a few sports or games you can play with a pet. Not the same as human but still it’s physical activity. You can hang out with pet, I visit some people to really hang out with their dog. Animals can work, they just don’t get compensated like humans because society views them as lessers, but they do lots of work. Not every animal, but every human doesn’t work.

My cats personality is like the Naomi Campbell of cats. She’s beautiful, and knows it. She also treats me like Naomi treats her staff.
But she’s really pretty, sometimes charitable and kind, looks fashionable in a window, wants to be treated like a princess, and isn’t going to let anyone f*** with her.

As to why I got her, it was a moment of baby fever and someone put a kitty in my face. Considering how life has turned out. It was a better gift for me than a human baby at that time.

Nothing against human babies, I just rather have a pet.
4d4m On September 28, 2020




4dforum.org,
#12New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 07:52:35
We have pets because they are our fuzzy buddies and we like them.
Cpat92 On about 6 hours ago
It's all or nothing





Lauderhill, Florida
#13New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 19:05:40
Are you suggesting Pets own us?
darkman666 11 minutes ago




Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 19:27:50
I wonder if the movie, " planet of the apes " more base on " George orwell's animal farm " more on " orwell's 1984 ", the movie was a science fiction about planet that run by apes. but taylor find out at the end of the movie, man lost that right in control of the planet by his own destruction.

if animals are exposed too humans too long, to they become human and follow the same path of self destruction.
DiscordTiger On about 2 hours ago
The Queen of Random

Administrator




Emerald City, United States (g
#15New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 22:19:33
@Cpat92 Said

Are you suggesting Pets own us?



Dogs no.

Cats maybe. They are above everyone in the hierarchy. There’s a reason ancient cultures worshiped them.

Actually my cat just thinks I’m a big stupid hairless cat that walks funny, doesn’t feed her on time, and can’t find the bed, so she has to put me to bed every night.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

      
Subscribe to topic prefs

Similar Topics
    Forum Topic Last Post Replies Views
New posts   Animal Rights
Mon Jan 11, 2010 @ 23:24
37 3018
New posts   Jokes & Humor
Sat Nov 14, 2009 @ 18:32
1 362
New posts   Animal Rights
Thu Oct 01, 2009 @ 10:44
74 3369
New posts   Biology
Wed Jul 22, 2009 @ 10:14
23 2691
New posts   Animal Rights
Fri Nov 21, 2008 @ 16:09
12 1083