Society & Lifestyles

Why do people hate on Vegans so much?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Kibbity_Kabbit On October 16, 2017

Memphis, Tennessee
#1New Post! Jul 24, 2017 @ 08:50:57
***Disclaimer*** DO NOT throw this back in my face with answers like "Why do vegans hate meat-eaters??" Let's try to keep this as respectful & decently debatable please!

So I have recently embraced the vegan lifestyle, starting back in May. I have experienced many benefits with the change. I didn't really start this experience with losing weight as a goal, but that has been the most people have commented on when they see me. So yaaayyy & stuff! I just researched a whole bunch & learned a lot about health & such. So I couldn't consciously keep making poor eating choices & support meat/dairy factories. Not gonna lie, I still treat myself to junk food every now & then. Don't f***ing judge me!

But I have experienced unnecessary hate as well & just really ignorant questions. Examples: "I could never do that! Meat is just so good." "Liar! You're not skinny enough to be vegan." "But but BACON!!!" "What do you even eat???" "How do you get enough protein, iron, vitamins, etc.?" "Veganism is just a bunch of liberal-tard special snowflakes who make up false facts to seem more important than others!"

I don't understand how a personal choice pisses people off so easily! I really only talk about my vegan lifestyle if I'm questioned about it or venting to social media sites like this one. But even when I try to politely discuss my reasoning for switching, people STILL have the nerve to treat me like a parasite.

As I've stated above, I'm fully aware that there are some vegans who say really messed up things to omnivores in the same vain as my rant here. I understand that some people are just a*****es & unfortunately refuse to grow out of that behavior. I would just like to hear your own POLITE opinions on the matter.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#2New Post! Jul 24, 2017 @ 12:27:55
If you're doing it for health reasons - Good for you!
If you're doing it for moral or political reasons - Good for you! Just don't push your political or moral ... or religious beliefs onto to me.

I have no reason to hate a vegan for being a vegan. I may end up hating someone for their actions, and they happen to be a vegan...

People may chide or joke about you/them (How can you leave Bacon behind!?!!)
Some may have an honest curiosity - where do you get enough protein?...
But that's hardly hate.

I don't see "hating on vegans" anywhere.
It makes as much sense as hating on someone that doesn't drink alcohol (but ... but... there's Bourbon!!)
newcarscent7 On March 18, 2020

Cleveland, Ohio
#3New Post! Jul 24, 2017 @ 13:08:39
It might be because they're jealous they don't have the self-control and will power to live a healthy lifestyle like you.

Or maybe they're just ignorant goofs who hate anyone who thinks different than them. There are quite a lot of those.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#4New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 01:41:42
I love vegans!

The increase of people eating vegan has really opened up food options for me. I have an egg allergy. So anything vegan is "safe" for me.

So I have been eating a lot of vegan things. I don't think I can go completely vegan though. I still have to have meat and milk in the house for husband. He has medical conditions that just are not compatible with him going vegan. I also just don't have enough time to always prepare two meals, And the stress of trying might literally kill me, so there's that.
The meat and dairy industry is pretty brutal, and I get that. I've at least tried to make better choices by getting my meat and dairy from local people that I know how the animals are treated. It's not perfect but I try.

I've got a few vegan friends, that range from knowing where everything comes from and vegan only no exceptions, in food, clothing and housewares to others being vegan but willing to make an exception once and a while if it's a hassle.

Vegan isn't always healthy though.
Like Oreos are vegan. And I know vegans with high blood pressure and cholesterol So mostly I'm of the, eat whatever you want, and I'll try and be accommodating where I can.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 06:20:58
i really don't have problems with people love vegetables. if i could bury them alive, and watch them crawl out of grave in six feet under in less than five minutes.

i probably like vegetables more.

my doctor tell me that i need eat more vegetables, it good for me. i am not a big fan of vegetables. my doctor gave me a list of things gave gas, when i had problems with stomach in 20's. most of my stomach problems on the list were vegetables.

so safe green vegetable for me is cumber. that i will eat once in awhile. i never been a big fan of green vegetables because my mother told me or force me to eat when i was little kid. my mother told me, i would get strong muscles and hairy chest.

my mom really had a hairy chest, even king hong was jealous of her

there are worst crimes than that, if you claim that a person, you love vegetables, and being an republican, too.

that an outrage that i can't bear!

then you should be shot for treason!
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 12:31:01
I don't have a problem with vegans, I have a problem with proselytizing a*****es. No, not all vegans are proselytizing a*****es, and not all proselytizing a*****es are vegans.

If I have a problem with a vegan, it has nothing to do with him/her being a vegan and everything to do with his or her character as a human being.

I have vegan/vegetarian friends and have no problem whatsoever making sure the meal is suited to them if they come over for dinner.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 12:44:07
@Kibbity_Kabbit Said

But I have experienced unnecessary hate as well & just really ignorant questions. Examples: "I could never do that! Meat is just so good." "But but BACON!!!" "What do you even eat???" "How do you get enough protein, iron, vitamins, etc.?"

In all fairness though....how are any of these statements or questions ignorant or hateful?

(I did delete the two that were rude and/or uncalled for)

One of them is someone else expressing a personal choice...nothing really wrong there is there? One is someone saying they like bacon. Okay...nothing mean or rude there. The other two are people actually asking valid questions about veganism that I'd imagine most vegans would be more than happy to be given the opportunity to answer.

Sure, there are some a*****es out there who will attack you just for being vegan and getting bent out of shape for no good reason, but not everyone who questions you is attacking you either. Just a thought.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 14:54:44
There is nothing wrong at all with being Vegan, Kabby. And from my point of view, if you have found a lifestyle that suits you and you feel comfortable with then hey, who am I to judge..??

I can see where you're coming from though when you use strong language such as "hate". There are people around who will despise you for what you've done. Don't ask me why they do such things. Their thought processes confound reason.

I've experienced hate crime too - though not for veganism - and I know how unpleasant that is. You haven't done anything to hurt anybody, your way of life doesn't adversely affect anybody and you're not "Ramming it down anybody's throat".

Perhaps though (for example), you may go into a restaurant with some friends and you ask the waiter if there is a vegan option. This gets overheard on another table and it's enough to set some people off. You weren't trying to shine some sort of light on yourself.... sort of "Oh, I'm a vegan so I'm superior to anybody else". But that's what you'll be accused of doing. Just because you made a reasonable request for an alternative menu in a restaurant. You can attract hate crime that easily when you're a little different to other people.

I once had a beer can thrown at me because I wore a rainbow ribbon on the lapel of my jacket. I wasn't flaunting my homosexuality. I was on my way to a Student Union meeting to hear a speaker give a lecture on LGBT campaigns in the media. But wearing the ribbon was enough and I ended up with a bruise on my face and beer splattered all over my jacket. I was going about my lawful business and not affecting or hurting anybody. I've suffered other assaults but all they do is steel my resolve to be myself and not hide from anyone.

So I empathise with you and understand your confusion.

I don't think you should hide your veganism. It isn't anything to be ashamed of. Don't keep it in the closet as if it was some kind of dirty secret.

If you want to wear a vegan symbol, then do so. It's your lawful right. You may attract some adverse comments but hopefully, no violence.

Ignore the idiots who taunt or call you names. They're more to be pitied than scorned. It isn't easy to do this but for what it's worth, I respect your right to live as you choose and I would suggest that the vast majority do too.

In time, more and more people will come to accept vegans. For sure, there will always be morons but ever was it thus so. Don't let them grind you down. Don't let them win.

Little by little, the LGBT community here in UK is becoming more and more accepted. There are still homophobic incidents, but they are diminishing year on year. Take heart from that.

Lastly, I'll say "Good for you" that you've found a way of life that you're happy with and you feel is good for you. I admire and respect you for that.

One last thought. When it comes to the haters, all you have to do is be bigger than them.

Because you'll almost certainly outlive them..!!
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 15:08:32
I'm a meat eater. I know lots of meat eaters. The vast majority of the people that I know are meat eaters (to varying degrees).

I fully acknowledge that I am not a mathematically valid sampling, however, I don't know anyone who hates on vegans... or perhaps more accurately, I've never seen anyone that I know hate on vegans.

@Kibbity_Kabbit Said

But I have experienced unnecessary hate as well & just really ignorant questions. Examples:

"I could never do that! Meat is just so good." Why is that "ignorant"?

"Liar! You're not skinny enough to be vegan." Ok, that one is pretty stupid.

"But but BACON!!!" Hmmm...a bit goofy and cliche, but not really "ignorant".

"What do you even eat???" Depending on the tone in the person's voice, this could be a reasonable question.

"How do you get enough protein, iron, vitamins, etc.?" Again, depending on the tone in the person's voice, this could be a reasonable question.

"Veganism is just a bunch of liberal-tard special snowflakes who make up false facts to seem more important than others!" Yes, this person seems to have been a hater.

@Kibbity_Kabbit Said

***Disclaimer*** DO NOT throw this back in my face with answers like "Why do vegans hate meat-eaters??" Let's try to keep this as respectful & decently debatable please!

Interesting.

You get to ask "Why do people hate on Vegans so much?" and it is "respectful & decently debatable", but if someone asks you "Why do vegans hate meat-eaters?" is is not "respectful & and debatable.

And that is not meant to be disrespectful...its just that communications go both ways.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 16:22:53
I too like a nice bacon sandwich, Chas. Tasty fresh bread from the baker's in the high street, good Cornish butter and at least two rashers of thick cut bacon. Lots of brown sauce. Yummy. Top tucker..!!

But that's me. I don't expect others to like the same things that I do. I expect to be able to partake of my personal enjoyment when and where I like without harassment.

But to the best of my knowledge, no vegan that I know has ever criticised me for it or attempted to lecture me on my choice. They may choose to have something else but surely we can all just rub along together without it even being an issue. Why on earth should it be..?

As regarding Kabbi's rhetoric, I made the point in my last post that I can see where she's coming from. It isn't nice being the target of hate. She has my fullest empathy.

I don't know if anybody here been subjected to adverse reaction over any aspect of their life. Some who do are able to shrug it off, some are defiant and refuse to be cowed, and some take it more to heart and are affected by it. We're all human and we all respond in different ways.

I think that on any issue of "hate", be it veganism, homosexuality, race, religion or whatever, a spirit of conciliation is the best line to follow. I respect you, you respect me. What's not to like..?

I'm sure Kabbi is a very nice person and her veganism is simply one aspect of the wonderfully multi-faceted person she probably is (please put me right if I'm out of line by saying this here, Kabbi).

Her veganism shouldn't define her. It shouldn't be the only thing that anybody sees or comments on. It shouldn't become a label or a stick to beat her with.

If she writes about what she perceives to be the health and lifestyle advantages that veganism gives her, she's probably trying to give us the benefit of her experience in the hope that we might give it a try. Fair enough, say I.

By way of return I might say "Thanks, but no thanks." I'm not dismissing her. I'm not disagreeing with her, I'm just saying that actually, I like meat and don't wish to give it up. If I'm clogging up my coronary arteries with dairy and animal fats, well, it's my choice and I'm doing it with my eyes open.

Each to their own. There's room on the planet for all of us.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! Jul 25, 2017 @ 16:41:13
@Jennifer1984 Said

I too like a nice bacon sandwich, Chas. Tasty fresh bread from the baker's in the high street, good Cornish butter and at least two rashers of thick cut bacon. Lots of brown sauce. Yummy. Top tucker..!!

Well...anyone who doesn't like that is a fool!

Just kidding!

@Jennifer1984 Said

But that's me. I don't expect others to like the same things that I do. I expect to be able to partake of my personal enjoyment when and where I like without harassment.

But to the best of my knowledge, no vegan that I know has ever criticised me for it or attempted to lecture me on my choice. They may choose to have something else but surely we can all just rub along together without it even being an issue. Why on earth should it be..?

As regarding Kabbi's rhetoric, I made the point in my last post that I can see where she's coming from. It isn't nice being the target of hate. She has my fullest empathy.

I don't know if anybody here been subjected to adverse reaction over any aspect of their life. Some who do are able to shrug it off, some are defiant and refuse to be cowed, and some take it more to heart and are affected by it. We're all human and we all respond in different ways.

I think that on any issue of "hate", be it veganism, homosexuality, race, religion or whatever, a spirit of conciliation is the best line to follow. I respect you, you respect me. What's not to like..?

I'm sure Kabbi is a very nice person and her veganism is simply one aspect of the wonderfully multi-faceted person she probably is (please put me right if I'm out of line by saying this here, Kabbi).

Her veganism shouldn't define her. It shouldn't be the only thing that anybody sees or comments on. It shouldn't become a label or a stick to beat her with.

If she writes about what she perceives to be the health and lifestyle advantages that veganism gives her, she's probably trying to give us the benefit of her experience in the hope that we might give it a try. Fair enough, say I.

By way of return I might say "Thanks, but no thanks." I'm not dismissing her. I'm not disagreeing with her, I'm just saying that actually, I like meat and don't wish to give it up. If I'm clogging up my coronary arteries with dairy and animal fats, well, it's my choice and I'm doing it with my eyes open.

Each to their own. There's room on the planet for all of us.

Yes.

So, to Kibbity_Kabbit: Don't let the haters get you down...after all, "it" is your life, your body, your decision of what to eat or not eat... etc.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#12New Post! Jul 26, 2017 @ 00:38:34
@Kibbity_Kabbit Said

So I have recently embraced the vegan lifestyle, starting back in May. I have experienced many benefits with the change. I didn't really start this experience with losing weight as a goal, but that has been the most people have commented on when they see me. So yaaayyy & stuff! I just researched a whole bunch & learned a lot about health & such. So I couldn't consciously keep making poor eating choices & support meat/dairy factories. Not gonna lie, I still treat myself to junk food every now & then. Don't f***ing judge me!

But I have experienced unnecessary hate as well & just really ignorant questions. Examples: "I could never do that! Meat is just so good." "Liar! You're not skinny enough to be vegan." "But but BACON!!!" "What do you even eat???" "How do you get enough protein, iron, vitamins, etc.?" "Veganism is just a bunch of liberal-tard special snowflakes who make up false facts to seem more important than others!"

I don't understand how a personal choice pisses people off so easily! I really only talk about my vegan lifestyle if I'm questioned about it or venting to social media sites like this one. But even when I try to politely discuss my reasoning for switching, people STILL have the nerve to treat me like a parasite.

As I've stated above, I'm fully aware that there are some vegans who say really messed up things to omnivores in the same vain as my rant here. I understand that some people are just a*****es & unfortunately refuse to grow out of that behavior. I would just like to hear your own POLITE opinions on the matter.

I am a meat eater and I hate vegans because they are a bunch of libtard special snowflakes.

And now for a slightly more serious answer. I really don't care what people choose to eat. Be vegan, vegetarian, carnivore, cannibal, I don't care.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! Jul 26, 2017 @ 00:44:50
@bob_the_fisherman Said

I am a meat eater and I hate vegans because they are a bunch of libtard special snowflakes.

And now for a slightly more serious answer. I really don't care what people choose to eat. Be vegan, vegetarian, carnivore, cannibal, I don't care.

Well, I do care if they are cannibal and it gets personal ...

That's why as a ...species? race? ...? I generally don't like zombies.
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Jul 26, 2017 @ 01:02:14
if an vegetarian had see a dead animal on the dinner plate wearing green jumpsuit, they eat the crap out of it.
Ratty On November 08, 2021

So Cal, California
#15New Post! Jul 26, 2017 @ 01:35:13
@mrmhead Said

If you're doing it for health reasons - Good for you!
If you're doing it for moral or political reasons - Good for you! Just don't push your political or moral ... or religious beliefs onto to me.

I have no reason to hate a vegan for being a vegan. I may end up hating someone for their actions, and they happen to be a vegan...

People may chide or joke about you/them (How can you leave Bacon behind!?!!)
Some may have an honest curiosity - where do you get enough protein?...
But that's hardly hate.

I don't see "hating on vegans" anywhere.
It makes as much sense as hating on someone that doesn't drink alcohol (but ... but... there's Bourbon!!)

I agree. As long as a person is obnoxious about it and puts down meat eaters then they can do whatever they like.

It would be a major pain in the a** to be vegan, vegetarian would be much easier to deal with.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs