The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Why do Spanish speaking people say they can't understand Mexican speaking ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 16:12:21
A few months back there was some discussion about local(new Mexico) Spanish people saying they couldn't understand the Mexicans from Mexico . Another member said I didn't know what I was talking about and that Spanish and Mexican was one in the same . Well it's not a topic that a whole lot of research has been published on. Not that I could find anyway. So I did the next best thing . I ask this on yahoo answers ,
I have only used the first letter of each of the peoples names that answered .
And here are the three best answers ,

"Why do Spanish speaking people say they can't understand Mexican speaking people and vica versa ?"

Quote:

Simple. Because Spanish speakers who grow up here have actually destroyed the real Spanish. So often they literally translate the way you say things in English into Spanish. Also since they usually learn it at home, they have tons of grammatical mistakes (written and speaking). It sounds like another language....its sad to see how even some Spanish radio/TV hosts speak it like they did not even went to elementary school.....

To give you an idea, in Spanish to ask for your age we literally say : how many years do you have ? instead of how old are you.....Would you like to hear any English speaker ask you that way ? Tha's what they do with spanish...
by F.

Quote:

I think that maybe them people dont speak the best of the spanish or they were not raised on the spanish. Why do i say that?
Because i practise spanish and I can understand mexican spanish good but when i listen to the univision television station sometimes i cant understand some things they say because they seem to use words i havnt heard of and maybe have a little different accent.
So i think its because of different words and accents and i think that them people you are talking about might not speak the best spanish themselves is some of the reason why they dont understand it.
Somebody who speaks the best of spanish might would understand cuban spanish though.
By A.

Quote:
Well you see, even though im Mexican i sometimes find it hard to understand other Mexicans. Not all of us speak the same way even though it is tecnically the same language.

It varies from every city, region, state, country and so on. We have different slang words and accents.

Now in an utopical situation where we are all very well educated, we should understand each other. Missunderstandings usually happen when someone starts using a lot of slang terms in places where people are not familiar with them.
Source(s):
oh well i should finish my rant there

please excuse my funny English, Spanish is my 1st language

hope it helps
By M.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#2New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 21:31:09
There are differences just like there's differences between American English and English English. I've also heard German can change drastically depending on where you are in Germany, to the point it can be difficult for them to understand each other.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#3New Post! Dec 18, 2009 @ 22:54:09
@crazylikeafox Said

There are differences just like there's differences between American English and English English. I've also heard German can change drastically depending on where you are in Germany, to the point it can be difficult for them to understand each other.

Well according to one member here he and his daughter who are not of Spanish or Mexican decent according to the member speak fluent Spanish from across the world and he allows I am not correct when I say the local Spanish speaking people say they can't understand Mexican.
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 19, 2009 @ 02:44:19
A lot of it is accents. I learned Spanish in a Spanish university, we were taught Castillian Spanish, which is quite articulate but out on the streets of Andalucia the language is quite rough and it almost seems like another language. Also like any other language over time it changes and the modern you put their own take on it.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#5New Post! Dec 19, 2009 @ 15:22:48
I am a gringo and can only speak enough to get beer ,cigs and aask wheres the bathroom.
Johnny_shade On October 28, 2011

Casper, Wyoming
#6New Post! Dec 20, 2009 @ 06:23:35
I speak english and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the post by "A" is trying to say. He keeps calling whoever "them people." Wtf...
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Dec 20, 2009 @ 06:30:25
@Johnny_shade Said

I speak english and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the post by "A" is trying to say. He keeps calling whoever "them people." Wtf...

Maybe people from his home town can't understand the English speaking people from the net town over.
I thought that post gave a good example of what the Spanish speaking locals are saying.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#8New Post! Dec 20, 2009 @ 06:31:44
Ever tried speaking to a Glaswegian?
Or a bush-Aussie for that matter?
I was once involved in trying to translate between a native of Edinburgh, a Sth African, and a New Guinean, and THEY were all speaking English!
Or so they claimed!
I can't see why Spanish would be any different?
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#9New Post! Dec 20, 2009 @ 06:37:45
@Marcussextus Said

Ever tried speaking to a Glaswegian?
Or a bush-Aussie for that matter?
I was once involved in trying to translate between a native of Edinburgh, a Sth African, and a New Guinean, and THEY were all speaking English!
Or so they claimed!
I can't see why Spanish would be any different?

I was hoping the member that disagreed about the locals saying they don't understand the Mexicans would show up in this thread as he claims to speak Spanish and can understand all Spanish speaking people and claims his daughter can latterly speak to and understand all dialects of all Spanish no matter what part of the world it's spoken., but I guess he figures there's not any room for him to jump on his favorite soap box . just a guess on my part.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs