Religion & Philosophy

Why didn't Jewish people fight back?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#1New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 17:27:51
I'm not sure if i have picked the right spot for this subject so i'll leave that to the mods.

I've been thinking why didn't the Jewish people fight back in WWII when they were rounded up in groups that were larger than the nazi's and French with guns? I came to asking myself this question over and over again while reading a novel called 'Sarah's Key', last week. Although the story is based on facts of how the jews were rounded up in Paris, some 13,000 of them and by then in 1942, they knew about the death camps.... they never fought back. Why? I know i was not there, but I'd like to think if i knew my family was being sent to a death camp that i would fight tooth and nail to overpower my guards and free them. That a few of us dead to overpower the few that would kill thousands of us would be worth the effort in dying for. And what of the people who watched and didn't agree with it, why didn't they overpower the few. Were people that self preserving that selfish that they were cowardice enough not to fight back in the masses? Did they not comprehend that guns only ave so many bullets and far less would have died had they sacrificed a few of themselves to save thousands?? I just find it VERY hard to understand why they would let fear overpower them enough to stop them from saving or at least trying to save more of their Jewish faith people, and not just Jews but all the others also rounded up at that time.

So perhaps some of you can enlighten me and explain why? Perhaps some of you have wondered the same thing and have questions to add?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 17:32:30
The Jewish people were just people. They didn't have an army. Sure you can fight back tooth and nail, but teeth and nails don't really do much against bullets.
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#3New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 17:37:58
@someone_else Said

The Jewish people were just people. They didn't have an army. Sure you can fight back tooth and nail, but teeth and nails don't really do much against bullets.

True but 13,000 people vs say a hundred guards with a limited amount of bullets...some will die but far less would have died vs the thousands that were gassed etc. and i'm just using the small group that was massed in Paris, what of the camps themselves? They had only a few guards and a few guns...not enough bullets per persons there, could they not have over powered them? why would they not at least try?
TaraLovesLiam On March 02, 2014

Portlaoise, Ireland
#4New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 17:42:44
That's a interesting question you asked.It's got me thinking about it too.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 17:46:01
@Elza Said

True but 13,000 people vs say a hundred guards with a limited amount of bullets...some will die but far less would have died vs the thousands that were gassed etc. and i'm just using the small group that was massed in Paris, what of the camps themselves? They had only a few guards and a few guns...not enough bullets per persons there, could they not have over powered them? why would they not at least try?

How far would they've got after taking out the guards and, having done so, what would likely be the response when they were caught up with?
Codrus On June 01, 2012

t***sville, Florida
#6New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 17:47:15
There wasn't any money in it ..just kiding. They did have guerilla fighters and an underground, but mostly throughout history the Jewish people have been passive and complacent (until the holocaust, when they vowed never again and became proactive) even in the bible and even after being commanded by god most wanted to take the easy way out and most figured if they didn't do anything they would be left alone ....it never worked out that way for them.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#7New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 17:57:03
Because even if they succeeded in taking out those guards, more would come and they would die, along with their children. They had no hope.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#8New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 18:01:23
@chisa96 Said

Because even if they succeeded in taking out those guards, more would come and they would die, along with their children. They had no hope.

Something else notable about this is that the "rebels" likely weren't the ones (or at least the only ones) to be killed. They would find that person's family instead and kill them while leaving the rebel alive, or killing them afterwards. Either way, their disobedience brought death to another innocent.

I've often wondered, if someone threatened my family with death, what would hurt me more? Them killing me in front of my kids, or them killing my kids in front of me?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 18:01:42
How far do you think a few hundred or thousand people locked up in barracks and surrounded by walls and fences would have gotten? What about the armed guards all around them? What about the men with rifles and machine guns in elevated turrets that they couldn't reach?

And if they did get out of the camp, where would they go? How far would they get?
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#10New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 18:09:32
That's a good question. Nazi Germany was a militarized state and Hitler geared the entire state's industry towards producing a strong army.

With that in mind, I'm sure all the Germans were used to constant parades of armed forces and military capability. The imprisoned Jews knew this and simply didn't want to face that. Perhaps they didn't know they were going to die? Perhaps they thought they'd be rescued or that the Nazis would never actually kill them, but just imprison them until the war was over?

It's always risky when you have to decide on whether to wait it out and hope not to die or make a run for it and hope not to die...
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#11New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 18:25:54
@someone_else Said

Something else notable about this is that the "rebels" likely weren't the ones (or at least the only ones) to be killed. They would find that person's family instead and kill them while leaving the rebel alive, or killing them afterwards. Either way, their disobedience brought death to another innocent.

I've often wondered, if someone threatened my family with death, what would hurt me more? Them killing me in front of my kids, or them killing my kids in front of me?

Definitly the latter. You'd have to live after knowing what you did. Either way, they weren't going to get far, and they would be killed when they failed.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#12New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 18:28:49
@chisa96 Said

Definitly the latter. You'd have to live after knowing what you did.

In my speculation, there was no "did," it was just a general thought. Even if I were killed right afterward, the latter would be worse. I need to stop thinking about it right now though...it's turning my stomach.
CaLyPsO On June 04, 2022
spankable deity

kent, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 18:29:52
they defo had a resistance organisation which they had in the countries the Germans had a grip on and even in the consentration camps and killing centres , so i suppose that was there way of trying x
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#14New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 19:05:28
@Elza Said

I'm not sure if i have picked the right spot for this subject so i'll leave that to the mods.

I've been thinking why didn't the Jewish people fight back in WWII when they were rounded up in groups that were larger than the nazi's and French with guns? I came to asking myself this question over and over again while reading a novel called 'Sarah's Key', last week. Although the story is based on facts of how the jews were rounded up in Paris, some 13,000 of them and by then in 1942, they knew about the death camps.... they never fought back. Why? I know i was not there, but I'd like to think if i knew my family was being sent to a death camp that i would fight tooth and nail to overpower my guards and free them. That a few of us dead to overpower the few that would kill thousands of us would be worth the effort in dying for. And what of the people who watched and didn't agree with it, why didn't they overpower the few. Were people that self preserving that selfish that they were cowardice enough not to fight back in the masses? Did they not comprehend that guns only ave so many bullets and far less would have died had they sacrificed a few of themselves to save thousands?? I just find it VERY hard to understand why they would let fear overpower them enough to stop them from saving or at least trying to save more of their Jewish faith people, and not just Jews but all the others also rounded up at that time.

So perhaps some of you can enlighten me and explain why? Perhaps some of you have wondered the same thing and have questions to add?

I've often thought this myself...I'd certainly have fought back too, made some kind of an attempt, and roused others to join me. Especially in light of the fact that they were going to be killed anyway.
What was to lose?
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Mar 12, 2012 @ 19:09:03
Ever asked yourself how a mad man could find thousands of other men to agree with him that turning human flesh into playing cards was a really cool idea?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs