The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
US Elections

Why are you NOT voting for Obama or McCain?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
nothingtodo On September 21, 2010

Deleted

#1New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 15:52:34
I'm not interested in hearing why you like a certain candidate but instead - why are you not voting for one or the other or both of them?

I personally won't be making any decisions until it's time to vote - both have ideas that I agree with and both have some that I don't. I am looking forward to the Republican convention and the debates.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#2New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 15:54:51
im obviously not able to vote.

but if was it would be obama, but not because of his merits, but because of mccains flaws i.e. bush.2
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 15:57:13
I'm not voting for either of them, because they're both lying bastards who are in the pocket of special interest groups and corporations. And they have zero respect for the personal freedoms or privacy rights of American Citizens or for the Constitution of the United States.

The following is a Slashdot comment by nanojath that I love to quote:

"I agree. The problem here is not the Supreme Court but Congress, and the problem with Congress is that like idiots we continue to vote for lizards to rule us - because otherwise the wrong lizard might wind up in charge.

Every year more money is spent on elections - and we all know where that money is coming from. I heard a lobbyist on public radio a few days ago say outright that their goal is to either make a representative feel beholden to them or else afraid of them. They didn't even bother to spin it at all or try to make it sound remotely democratic, that is how confident these people are, and why not?

And the supreme irony is that the majority of people seem oblivious to the reality that the partisan divide is one hundred percent in favor of this situation. The electorate in the USA has been divided and conquered. Libertarians are out there fighting for the Republican side, while the Republicans are busy fighting abortion on every available front to satisfy their Christian Right pro-life contingent. Drug law reform advocates back the Democrats, who have been responsible for some of the most draconian, insane, prison-filling mandatory minimum drug laws on the books -all so they could prop up a "tough on crime" image. Above all, everybody studiously ignores the fact that nearly every member of Congress is busy producing two products: payback legislation for their special interest funders and bulls*** rhetoric to keep their apparently braindead supporters on the hook. And year after year after year after year the issue of campaign finance legislation gets floated - and then all but the most minimal provisions get shot down, and what's left gets busily sued to smithereens.

And still you can log onto slashdot every day of the week and watch the spectacle of Republicans bickering with Democrats, liberals having it out with conservatives. Well here's the news of the day, sheep: the people who can afford real influence are laughing all the way to the bank. Democracy is an experiment that's failing because an informed, committed, active voting public is not something you can build into a constitution - and without that people get exactly the government they deserve. "
Scoobiedoolala On October 30, 2008

Deleted
Banned

paducah, Kentucky
#4New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:01:27
i wont be voting as yet. but, if i do, it will probably be mccain. BUT both candidtates scare the s*** out of me.

Deleted

#5New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:02:59
@scoobiedoolala Said
i wont be voting as yet. but, if i do, it will probably be mccain. BUT both candidtates scare the s*** out of me.

So what is about Obama that has you definately saying NO?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:06:41
@nothingtodo Said
So what is about Obama that has you definately saying NO?

You really expect a 40 year old white woman from small-town Kentucky to vote for a black Democrat for President?
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#7New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:09:56
@jonnythan Said
I'm not voting for either of them, because they're both lying bastards who are in the pocket of special interest groups and corporations. And they have zero respect for the personal freedoms or privacy rights of American Citizens or for the Constitution of the United States.

The following is a Slashdot comment by nanojath that I love to quote:

"I agree. The problem here is not the Supreme Court but Congress, and the problem with Congress is that like idiots we continue to vote for lizards to rule us - because otherwise the wrong lizard might wind up in charge.

Every year more money is spent on elections - and we all know where that money is coming from. I heard a lobbyist on public radio a few days ago say outright that their goal is to either make a representative feel beholden to them or else afraid of them. They didn't even bother to spin it at all or try to make it sound remotely democratic, that is how confident these people are, and why not?

And the supreme irony is that the majority of people seem oblivious to the reality that the partisan divide is one hundred percent in favor of this situation. The electorate in the USA has been divided and conquered. Libertarians are out there fighting for the Republican side, while the Republicans are busy fighting abortion on every available front to satisfy their Christian Right pro-life contingent. Drug law reform advocates back the Democrats, who have been responsible for some of the most draconian, insane, prison-filling mandatory minimum drug laws on the books -all so they could prop up a "tough on crime" image. Above all, everybody studiously ignores the fact that nearly every member of Congress is busy producing two products: payback legislation for their special interest funders and bulls*** rhetoric to keep their apparently braindead supporters on the hook. And year after year after year after year the issue of campaign finance legislation gets floated - and then all but the most minimal provisions get shot down, and what's left gets busily sued to smithereens.

And still you can log onto slashdot every day of the week and watch the spectacle of Republicans bickering with Democrats, liberals having it out with conservatives. Well here's the news of the day, sheep: the people who can afford real influence are laughing all the way to the bank. Democracy is an experiment that's failing because an informed, committed, active voting public is not something you can build into a constitution - and without that people get exactly the government they deserve. "

That was f***ing brilliant Jon. Until the sheep realize they are in fact sheep, wake up and start voting from the bottom up, we're screwed.

Deleted

#8New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:10:14
@jonnythan Said
You really expect a 40 year old white woman from small-town Kentucky to vote for a Black Democrat for President?

hmm..I was hoping for a few reasons - but if there aren't any...

Boppin_Guy On March 01, 2024

No Place,
#9New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:11:57
I'm not voting for Obama because: he's anti-gun, and no matter how many times he says that he isn't I still don't trust him on that. He's for universal healthcare. That's not going to work in America. He's for taxing the rich like all get out, and I don't like that.

I have more reasons but those are the main ones.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:12:28
@vizzy Said
That was f***ing brilliant Jon. Until the sheep realize they are in fact sheep, wake up and start voting from the bottom up, we're screwed.

I just wish I had written in.

, Florida
#11New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:18:15
@jonnythan Said
I just wish I had written in.

Me too. I was impressed.

I miss details all the time. I thought: "I agree. The problem here is not the Supreme Court but Congress, and the problem with Congress is that like idiots we continue to vote for lizards to rule us - because otherwise the wrong lizard might wind up in charge" was the only thing by nanojath and the rest was yours.

Deleted

#12New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:26:59
But a lot of people do have the mindset that one or the other IS going to win and we need to have the lesser of two evils.
I see it that way myself - if I dislike both candidates but one more than the other and feel strongly about NOT wanting him in the office can I essentially throw my vote away by writing in and giving it that chance of the one I definately don't want to get in? Every vote counts right?
Also - then do I get the right to b**** about whoever is in office, because if I'm not happy with who is in I did have the chance to vote for his apponent.

, Florida
#13New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:29:44
@nothingtodo Said
But a lot of people do have the mindset that one or the other IS going to win and we need to have the lesser of two evils.
I see it that way myself - if I dislike both candidates but one more than the other and feel strongly about NOT wanting him in the office can I essentially throw my vote away by writing in and giving it that chance of the one I definately don't want to get in? Every vote counts right?
Also - then do I get the right to b**** about whoever is in office, because if I'm not happy with who is in I did have the chance to vote for his apponent.

Vote your conscinece. If getting in the lesser of two evils matters most to you, then vote that way. If refusing to vote for either candidate and making a stand means more, do a write in. Vote in a way you can feel proud of.

Deleted

#14New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:36:14
vizzy I was going to kudo you a thank you - you just made that little light switch in my head turn on but I have to share the love first.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:36:32
@vizzy Said
Vote your conscinece. If getting in the lesser of two evils matters most to you, then vote that way. If refusing to vote for either candidate and making a stand means more, do a write in. Vote in a way you can feel proud of.

What's a write in?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs