Why Mitt Romney?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#1New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 21:53:27
I'm not American, I'll begin with saying that. Therefore, I do not know everything that's going on with the Presidential race, nor how the elections work. From what I can gather, though, Mitt Romney is a front-runner for the nomination of Republican candidate, although Gingrich is doing his best to hunt him down...

My question then; If John McCain was such a screw-up in 2008, being easily beaten by Obama, why would Romney fare any better? Mitt Romney is the man who lost to McCain in 2008. By far.

How about Ron Paul? An old man willing to shake things up. He looks intelligent. He seems to know a thing or two. It's a shame media is trying to choke him. Not just American media, either. My media (Swedish), along with the rest of the media reporting on this election.

I also want to finish off with repeating what I first said:

"I'm not American. I do not know everything that's going on with the Presidential race, nor how the elections work". So if you disagree with what I'm saying here, I'd rather you inform me WHY you disagree than consider me stupid. Being foreign, I'm given a smaller window of insight.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#2New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 21:59:05
@Chrill Said

I'm not American, I'll begin with saying that. Therefore, I do not know everything that's going on with the Presidential race, nor how the elections work. From what I can gather, though, Mitt Romney is a front-runner for the nomination of Republican candidate, although Gingrich is doing his best to hunt him down...

My question then; If John McCain was such a screw-up in 2008, being easily beaten by Obama, why would Romney fare any better? Mitt Romney is the man who lost to McCain in 2008. By far.

How about Ron Paul? An old man willing to shake things up. He looks intelligent. He seems to know a thing or two. It's a shame media is trying to choke him. Not just American media, either. My media (Swedish), along with the rest of the media reporting on this election.

"I'm not American. I do not know everything that's going on with the Presidential race, nor how the elections work". So if you disagree with what I'm saying here, I'd rather you inform me WHY you disagree than consider me stupid. Being foreign, I'm given a smaller window of insight.

Maybe this will help. I found it somewhere on the internet.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

A majority of the people who support Ron Paul are young voters and they rule the internet. Most 40-50 year olds can barely use email. The republicans don't like Ron Paul because he is against war. He didn't want us to go into Iraq, interfere with Libya, give billions of dollars to Pakistan, etc. He also wants to allow liberty for everyone no matter what such as legalizing drugs and getting rid of marriage licenses. The republicans don't like that because most believe that marriage should be defined by the government as a relationship between a man and a woman. They don't want drugs to be legal because if they legalize herion, they believe more people will begin to use it (even though anyone with a brain knows that herion is horrible for you).

The main source of information that 30+ year olds get is from TV. Unfortunately, TV is very biased and there's only one point of view. The internet on the other hand, has everyones' point of view so you see a lot of different opinions. For some reason I don't know the answer to, ALL of the major news stations ignore Ron Paul as much as they can. It may be because they have no dirt on him from his past. Or maybe because he might have a chance to beat Obama. Not sure.

Ron Paul has ran for Presidential nomination twice before and he's always done pretty well in the polls. The only problem is, is that the media does not like him. And unfortunately, the media is very powerful in the altering of peoples views and opinions.
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#3New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 22:03:15
good question...i'd like to know why as well seeing as he drove from Massachusetts to Canada with the family dog strapped to the roof of the car. The dog lost control of its bowels from fright and had to be hosed off at a gas station. Poor dog.
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#4New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 22:06:48
@hoppy Said

Maybe this will help. I found it somewhere on the internet.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

A majority of the people who support Ron Paul are young voters and they rule the internet. Most 40-50 year olds can barely use email. The republicans don't like Ron Paul because he is against war. He didn't want us to go into Iraq, interfere with Libya, give billions of dollars to Pakistan, etc. He also wants to allow liberty for everyone no matter what such as legalizing drugs and getting rid of marriage licenses. The republicans don't like that because most believe that marriage should be defined by the government as a relationship between a man and a woman. They don't want drugs to be legal because if they legalize herion, they believe more people will begin to use it (even though anyone with a brain knows that herion is horrible for you).

The main source of information that 30+ year olds get is from TV. Unfortunately, TV is very biased and there's only one point of view. The internet on the other hand, has everyones' point of view so you see a lot of different opinions. For some reason I don't know the answer to, ALL of the major news stations ignore Ron Paul as much as they can. It may be because they have no dirt on him from his past. Or maybe because he might have a chance to beat Obama. Not sure.

Ron Paul has ran for Presidential nomination twice before and he's always done pretty well in the polls. The only problem is, is that the media does not like him. And unfortunately, the media is very powerful in the altering of peoples views and opinions.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I'll have to read up more on this Ron Paul fello as you said there is not much in media coverage on him.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#5New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 22:07:39
@Elza Said

good question...i'd like to know why as well seeing as he drove from Massachusetts to Canada with the family dog strapped to the roof of the car. The dog lost control of its bowels from fright and had to be hosed off at a gas station. Poor dog.

Ya want the dog s***tin in the car?
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#6New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 22:10:03
@Elza Said

Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#7New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 22:16:46
@Chrill Said

I really don't get the Romney attraction. I do not want him as POTUS that's for sure! I wish people and the media would pay more attention to Ron Paul. He's the one I prefer as president.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#8New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 22:27:57
@hoppy Said

@Elza Said

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I'll have to read up more on this Ron Paul fello as you said there is not much in media coverage on him.

That's the problem, the media ignores him. Most republicans do as well cuz he doesn't fit the bill, none the less, he's the best candidate there is and wants to do some stuff, such as bringing back the gold standard, getting rid of the IRS and the Federal Reserve. Of course, I don't agree with everything he says, such as no death penalty or legalization of certain drugs, but still, he's the man and I'm gonna vote for him during the primaries like I did 4 years ago.
Back to the subject, why Mitt Romney, I'm guessing his name is more popular? It would stink, too, for the same as the last 6 elections, have to choose the lesser of two evils. At least he's not Newt Gingrich
Cinnamon On April 21, 2012

USA,
#9New Post! Mar 02, 2012 @ 23:33:56
Well, Dan, as an American - we will have to vote for anything that runs against the muslim-in-chief. I'm so not wearing a burka in the next four years.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#10New Post! Mar 03, 2012 @ 00:14:54
Romney needs to choose his words more carefully. He has officially pissed off many Canadians with this statement...

"He rejected the Keystone Pipeline," Romney said, pausing for a chorus of jeers from the audience before adding: "I'll get us that oil from Canada that we deserve.

He being Obama. The problem with the comment, it seems to us Canadians that he thinks Americans just deserve to have our oil. He makes it sounds like he is coming to Canada to take out oil because Americans deserve it.

He does not say he'll reach a deal with Canada, a deal Obama rejected. He does not say he will talk to Canada's PM about a deal. He just says that he is going to get that oil from Canada because its deserved.

What an arrogant comment. Its our oil, Romney. Do not be so bold as to think you can bully us or just come and take it from us. Ask us for an oil deal, approach us for an oil deal but do not tell anyone you deserve this oil and you will get it from Canada.

If anyone deserves Canadian oil, its Canadians.

USA,
#11New Post! Mar 03, 2012 @ 01:12:09
Hi Dorky - that's all interesting and coming from you, I certainly believe he said that. I never heard it before just now.

However, I'm looking at his quote, "I'll get us that oil from Canada that we deserve."

I don't think I'd come to the conclusion that he meant he would steal it. It just doesn't ring in my thoughts while reading that. My first thought would be that he wouldn't make the same mistake Obama did - and he'd negotiate something positive for America.

As for the whole pipeline, I've read good and bad on that. Since Obama rejected it, I know it must be good for America.

I just don't think Romney meant he would steal it because you don't deserve it. Just doesn't sound right.

Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#12New Post! Mar 03, 2012 @ 01:27:37
I still prefer Mr. Santorum.
Not a perfect candidate but I'd choose him over the other GOP hopefulls.

, Canada
#13New Post! Mar 03, 2012 @ 02:39:14
@Cinnamon Said

Hi Dorky - that's all interesting and coming from you, I certainly believe he said that. I never heard it before just now.

However, I'm looking at his quote, "I'll get us that oil from Canada that we deserve."

I don't think I'd come to the conclusion that he meant he would steal it. It just doesn't ring in my thoughts while reading that. My first thought would be that he wouldn't make the same mistake Obama did - and he'd negotiate something positive for America.

As for the whole pipeline, I've read good and bad on that. Since Obama rejected it, I know it must be good for America.

I just don't think Romney meant he would steal it because you don't deserve it. Just doesn't sound right.

I really think he needs to choose his words more carefully. While his intent might not have been and probably was not, "Canada arm yourselves, I am coming for your oil because Americans deserve it." The way he worded it, it came across to me and many of my fellow countrymen as a very arrogant statement and a very entitled statement. It came across as though he feels he has a God given right to this oil in my country.

I understand that was probably not the intent of the comment at all but sometimes when we do not choose our words, it comes across totally different than how we mean and it can piss people off.

I find many times, he comes across to me as a very entitled person and a very arrogant person and I think for myself, that comes across in many of his statements.

As for Obama, he enforced a 10% tanning tax in addition to state tax. Now its on, Obama, now its on.

USA,
#14New Post! Mar 03, 2012 @ 02:56:00
@DorkySupergirl Said

I really think he needs to choose his words more carefully. While his intent might not have been and probably was not, "Canada arm yourselves, I am coming for your oil because Americans deserve it." The way he worded it, it came across to me and many of my fellow countrymen as a very arrogant statement and a very entitled statement. It came across as though he feels he has a God given right to this oil in my country.

I understand that was probably not the intent of the comment at all but sometimes when we do not choose our words, it comes across totally different than how we mean and it can piss people off.

I find many times, he comes across to me as a very entitled person and a very arrogant person and I think for myself, that comes across in many of his statements.

As for Obama, he enforced a 10% tanning tax in addition to state tax. Now its on, Obama, now its on.

I'm going to assure you that you know more about him than I do at this point. It's still early in the game and I don't have my heart set on any one. I've seen good and bad in all the candidates but I know how the liberal media works it. Just like they did before - they direct the election. Creeps.

Too bad The Donald changed his mind, I still think he could squash the muslim - but that's a pipe dream now. [no pun intended]

, Canada
#15New Post! Mar 03, 2012 @ 03:00:17
@Cinnamon Said

I'm going to assure you that you know more about him than I do at this point. It's still early in the game and I don't have my heart set on any one. I've seen good and bad in all the candidates but I know how the liberal media works it. Just like they did before - they direct the election. Creeps.

Too bad The Donald changed his mind, I still think he could squash the muslim - but that's a pipe dream now. [no pun intended]

I had my own thread about him, not really because it was about him because of the content. He once strapped the family dog to the roof of his car and drove 8 hours to Canada. Its okay he says, he made a windshield on the kennel for the dog and says the dog loved it. He might come for my oil but he ain't getting my dog.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs