Why Believe Literally In The Bible?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 22:35:20
I don't understand why anyone would take the Bible as being literally true. The Bible was first written 3000 years ago, at a time when epilepsy was believed to be demon possession, the sky was thought to be the roof of the earth and so many other things that we know now are not true.

Yet people still take the Bible literally. We do not live in the same universe as the one the Bible was written in. Believe what the church teaches rather than what the Bible says.

I'm getting scared of extremists.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#2New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 22:38:46
Most people don't really think for themselves so I guess they need someone to think for them. I seriously still don't know why.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 22:46:00
They are taught by their parents and their teachers to accept the literal truth of religious scripture. This is apparent in all religious communities to some extent.

It is truly harrowing that people would follow the basely primitive morals and accounts of history that were formulated by ancient societies which had no scientific or logical authority whatsoever.
jasonsmith On January 08, 2008

Birmingham, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 22:53:32
all religious books state a few facts...the rest are lies...

now i just replied to a relgious topic..where is the knife!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 22:54:15
@jmo Said
The Bible was first written 3000 years ago,

Holy s***.

I didn't realize that the entire New Testament was written a thousand years before Jesus.
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 22:59:56
I'm actually freaked out by the extremists too. I'm writing a book about it. Three orphaned teenagers living in a world where a few people a week get tortured and burned at the stake for the smallest things and the world has been divided equally between Christianity and Islam. Everyone else has been forced to convert or hide. I can only wirte a bit at a time cos it's quite freaky.
silenthunder On November 25, 2007

Halliburton, Texas
#7New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 22:59:58
@jmo Said
I don't understand why anyone would take the Bible as being literally true. The Bible was first written 3000 years ago, at a time when epilepsy was believed to be demon possession, the sky was thought to be the roof of the earth and so many other things that we know now are not true.

Yet people still take the Bible literally. We do not live in the same universe as the one the Bible was written in. Believe what the church teaches rather than what the Bible says.

I'm getting scared of extremists.

If I can ask a question without arguing;

Have your read the Bible?
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:01:03
@silenthunder Said
If I can ask a question without arguing;

Have your read the Bible?

Yup. Didn't agree with it.
silenthunder On November 25, 2007

Halliburton, Texas
#9New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:07:01
@crazychica Said
Yup. Didn't agree with it.

That is fine. I have read many books that I didn't agree with. The only point that I was trying to make is that when one makes the decision to disagree, it might be a good thing to be familiar with the material disagreed with.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#10New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:08:27
i don't get it.
peoples ability to live their lives according to a book about which they seem to know very little about in the context of history astounds me.

deriving a sense of spirituality or moral guidance from its teachings is a-ok to me,
but believing in it as an historical factual account dictated by god himself?

i think there's alot of lost people out there just looking for something. Jeez, that sounded so superior, few are more lost than myself.
though still i think alot of people get taken advantage of for sure.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:09:29
@silenthunder Said
That is fine. I have read many books that I didn't agree with. The only point that I was trying to make is that when one makes the decision to disagree, it might be a good thing to be familiar with the material disagreed with.

A very valid point. I say that to my sister a lot when we're in restaruants. She's fussy and I always say to her "How do you know you don't like it? You've never even tried it!" It works the same way with everything I think.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:13:56
I have read the Bible. Abour to start reading the Qu'ran too.

When I said "The Bible was first written" I meant that that was when the first part of the Bible (the old testement) was written 3000 years ago.
vanished On April 24, 2011

London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:23:12
like you said the book was written before scientific logic so itis not alllies see the world as they saw it. lightning was created by gods back then because how could you explain the electric statics behind lighning when you do not even have a running drainage system to flush your own s*** down.
how low must things have been then to feel that if you followed through on this life you would be rewarded with something greater most likly got you through the day.

ALSO

just becuase you may believe in god dose not mean you cannot beleive in the evolution of life it may not have been so simple as good creating a male and female but where did the big bang comefrom who is to say something did not creat the first smallest organisam that lead to the start of evolution and the creation of who we are now.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#14New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:32:26
@vanished Said
where did the big bang comefrom who is to say something did not creat the first smallest organisam that lead to the start of evolution and the creation of who we are now.

i've seen this thinking come up alot,
the way i see it is that any question of whether or not god could possibly exist is quite seperate to the question of wheter it could be possible that we have an exact accurate account of history in the bible.
vanished On April 24, 2011

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 20, 2007 @ 23:36:09
its just chinese wispers, small wives tales said through generations untill someone could final pick up a penand write the story.

but its like andbook unless it wasa good read you wold not bother reading it. but then most peoplecould not read so it was just another way to entertain ourselves with no t.v
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs