Why Americans Are Not Taught History

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 26, 2012 @ 14:23:03
...by Christopher Hitchens. A great polemic, and truly frightening.

https://us.history.wisc.edu/hist102/readings/hitchens_goodbye.pdf

"In 1988, four years after 1984, the Soviet Union scrapped its official history curriculum and announced that a newly authorized version was somewhere in the works. That was the precise moment at which the regime conceded its own extinction. For true blissed-out and vacant servitude, though, you need an otherwise sophisticated society where no serious history is taught at all."

"...Young Americans are at home with the concept of black holes and the imminence of cloning. The idea that human life may be a cosmic joke is well known to them. They understand that viruses and other microorganisms can be more powerful actors than dictators. The youngest of them share the wised-up humor of The Simpsons ("Springfield Youth Center: Building Unrealistic Hopes Since 1966" ). But can they be allowed to consider their own history as anything other than a story of uplift, or, at worst, a chronicle of obstacles overcome? Not really, says David McCullough, whose Why History? is widely circulated by those hoping for a revival of the subject: "History shows us how to behave. History teaches, reinforces what we believe in, what we stand for, and what we ought to be willing to stand up for. History is—or should be—the bedrock of patriotism, not the chest-pounding kind of patriotism but the real thing, love of country." And no, also, says Joy Hakim, a self-starting amateur historian who decided to write her own textbooks (marketed as A History of US) and ignited a brief spark of hope by breaking the monopoly of so-called educational publishing. Her introduction states:

Learning about our country's history will make you understand what it means to be an American. And being American is a privilege. People all over the world wish that they, too, could be American. Why? Because we are a nation that is trying to be fair to all our citizens.... The more you study history, the more you will realize that all nations are not the same. Some are better than others. Does that seem like an unfair thing to say? Maybe, but we believe it.

The third sentence does express a factual truth. But the reason given in the fifth sentence is mere propaganda, at least insofar as it distinguishes the United States from Italy, say, or Iceland or Chile. In what other discipline may a teacher so readily assume what has to be proved? Many critics have hailed Hakim for contesting the relativists and the guilt-trip historians head-on. But how different is her approach from the standard textbooks of the last generation, entitled as they were: The American Pageant, The American Way, Land of Promise, American Adventures, Life and Liberty, The Challenge of Freedom, Triumph of the American Nation? It was under this benign rule that the current crop of unlettered teachers and distracted pupils was sown."
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#2New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 14:05:16
@buffalobill90 Said

...by Christopher Hitchens. A great polemic, and truly frightening.

https://us.history.wisc.edu/hist102/readings/hitchens_goodbye.pdf

"In 1988, four years after 1984, the Soviet Union scrapped its official history curriculum and announced that a newly authorized version was somewhere in the works. That was the precise moment at which the regime conceded its own extinction. For true blissed-out and vacant servitude, though, you need an otherwise sophisticated society where no serious history is taught at all."

"...Young Americans are at home with the concept of black holes and the imminence of cloning. The idea that human life may be a cosmic joke is well known to them. They understand that viruses and other microorganisms can be more powerful actors than dictators. The youngest of them share the wised-up humor of The Simpsons ("Springfield Youth Center: Building Unrealistic Hopes Since 1966" ). But can they be allowed to consider their own history as anything other than a story of uplift, or, at worst, a chronicle of obstacles overcome? Not really, says David McCullough, whose Why History? is widely circulated by those hoping for a revival of the subject: "History shows us how to behave. History teaches, reinforces what we believe in, what we stand for, and what we ought to be willing to stand up for. History is—or should be—the bedrock of patriotism, not the chest-pounding kind of patriotism but the real thing, love of country." And no, also, says Joy Hakim, a self-starting amateur historian who decided to write her own textbooks (marketed as A History of US) and ignited a brief spark of hope by breaking the monopoly of so-called educational publishing. Her introduction states:

Learning about our country's history will make you understand what it means to be an American. And being American is a privilege. People all over the world wish that they, too, could be American. Why? Because we are a nation that is trying to be fair to all our citizens.... The more you study history, the more you will realize that all nations are not the same. Some are better than others. Does that seem like an unfair thing to say? Maybe, but we believe it.

The third sentence does express a factual truth. But the reason given in the fifth sentence is mere propaganda, at least insofar as it distinguishes the United States from Italy, say, or Iceland or Chile. In what other discipline may a teacher so readily assume what has to be proved? Many critics have hailed Hakim for contesting the relativists and the guilt-trip historians head-on. But how different is her approach from the standard textbooks of the last generation, entitled as they were: The American Pageant, The American Way, Land of Promise, American Adventures, Life and Liberty, The Challenge of Freedom, Triumph of the American Nation? It was under this benign rule that the current crop of unlettered teachers and distracted pupils was sown."

I disagree entirely.

Because there's no such thing as American history. World history is the thing we need to learn. And not for the purpose of patriotism, but to actually learn something from it. The mistakes our ancestors made 6000 years ago are still being made by most of us today. So patriotism isn't any standard we need to concentrate on living by.

What we need more than anything is to grow.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#3New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 14:44:10
I remember the history we were taught when I went through grade school in the mid '40's to late '50's. Endless lists of names, dates and political doings. Incredibly boring. When I got a library card I discovered books about wars, war heroes, the old West, indians, artic adventurers, old autos, airplanes, military history, etc. That's when history became interesting to me.
If you want to bore students to death, teach them boring s***.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#4New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 14:51:57
@hoppy Said

I remember the history we were taught when I went through grade school in the mid '40's to late '50's. Endless lists of names, dates and political doings. Incredibly boring. When I got a library card I discovered books about wars, war heroes, the old West, indians, artic adventurers, old autos, airplanes, military history, etc. That's when history became interesting to me.
If you want to bore students to death, teach them boring s***.

There you go Hoppy.

The best way to learn history is by your own accord.

Because the history they teach kids in school isn't even worth learning.

Children need to be taught to make things out for themselves.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#5New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 14:58:23
They at least give the baseline knowledge so that they have a starting point to go off and learn things for themselves.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 14:59:03
It was the books in my grand parents many book shelves, books that they had spent a life time collecting that I learned about the real history of where , how and why America came to be.
The text books we studied in the schoolroom didn't have enough info in them on any given topic to peak the interest of the kids studying them.
With that said , I am not sure the OP answers his own question in the title of this thread . That is the "Why' Americans aren't taught history . It does a decent job of explaining what isn't taught and does a good job of explaining / identifying the two sides of the issue .

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#7New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:01:26
@chisa96 Said

They at least give the baseline knowledge so that they have a starting point to go off and learn things for themselves.

I disagree with that.

The history they teach kids is useless.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#8New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:16:16
@cisslybee2012 Said

I disagree with that.

The history they teach kids is useless.

Sorry you had such a crappy experience with it. Mine was decent.

n/a, New Mexico
#9New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:19:57
@chisa96 Said

I have to disagree with you on this.
The information in the text books is so white washed and made to seem like a mere blip on the screen of centuries in a nations history. that a kid wouldn't give 99% of it a second thought in the context of it being " baseline knowledge".

It teaches crap like
' The Indians were here wen Columbus landed , they were friends with the white man, helping him survive the winters and selling the land for handfuls of pretty glass beads.'
' Yes there were slaves here , brought here after being sold by their own country man to the white man.'
These are not direct quotes and for the record it has been more then 20 years that I have read a school issued text book , and then it was just to show my kids what my grand dad had shown me. he had me read the 1 1/2 pages of white washed crap in the text book , then handed me book of history filled with facts , about the only thing that can be said about the text book is it does have most of the names and dates correct but not much else .
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#10New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:23:03
@white_swan53 Said

I have to disagree with you on this.
The information in the text books is so white washed and made to seem like a mere blip on the screen of centuries in a nations history. that a kid wouldn't give 99% of it a second thought in the context of it being " baseline knowledge".

It teaches crap like
' The Indians were here wen Columbus landed , they were friends with the white man, helping him survive the winters and selling the land for handfuls of pretty glass beads.'
' Yes there were slaves here , brought here after being sold by their own country man to the white man.'
These are not direct quotes and for the record it has been more then 20 years that I have read a school issued text book , and then it was just to show my kids what my grand dad had shown me. he had me read the 1 1/2 pages of white washed crap in the text book , then handed me book of history filled with facts , about the only thing that can be said about the text book is it does have most of the names and dates correct but not much else .

I don't remember being taught anything so blatantly biased. We were taught exactly how we crushed the natives and participated in slave trading.

The introduction of the op makes me cringe, and while I can't say that I remember the introductions from any of the textbooks, I did take away knowledge from the classes that was a lot more objective.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#11New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:25:56
@chisa96 Said

Sorry you had such a crappy experience with it. Mine was decent.

I'm not saying I had a crappy experience.

I'm only saying that school history lessons are of no use to children.

n/a, New Mexico
#12New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:34:57
I remember not understanding my grand dads disgust over what he had read in my text book and years later it ( my understanding of his disgust) came to me like a light bulb over the head ,when I was helping my own kids with their home work. I ask granddad the next day if i could use his books to help my kids with their home work assignments.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#13New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:40:17
@cisslybee2012 Said

I'm not saying I had a crappy experience.

I'm only saying that school history lessons are of no use to children.

Mine were. Mine provided a solid baseline to work from. They're not worth more than that, but they at least deserve that much credit, depending upon the curriculum and the teachers one had.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#14New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:41:09
@white_swan53 Said

I remember not understanding my grand dads disgust over what he had read in my text book and years later it ( my understanding of his disgust) came to me like a light bulb over the head ,when I was helping my own kids with their home work. I ask granddad the next day if i could use his books to help my kids with their home work assignments.

They would actually be rather fascinating to read over anyway. It's really cool that he still had them.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#15New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:41:54
Iinteresting topic. Not being an American I have no idea how your history, or what history you are taught in schools.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs