The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Why African American predominated groups are ok...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...16 17 18 19 20 · >>
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#256New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 05:47:34
A side note,
I had to look up "First Nations" because I had not ever heard that , I have always heard Native Americans and other words that have been applied by the white man to the people .

I never heard it before, but I figured it out on my own.
In a way, it is just like saying 'black' was fine for awhile, PC and all, Black Power and all, then it moved to being PC to say African American. Comment was made that saying Indians or First Nations lumps them all together instead of differentiating amongst the people. Perhaps that is what we whites are saying: that we feel you
(they or others, generically speaking) are lumping all whites together. We hear you saying you are not, and we read what you have written -- but there seems to be an underlying message, all the same, there seems to be a subliminal message if you will. Hey cool word, Tino, I got that from when the number of points for posting pops up on the screen
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#257New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 06:01:00
@shinobinoz Said

Kewl! I was shocked when the kids brought home a middle school history book that talked about ethnic cleansing and genocide and went on to talk about Nazi Germany, Kosovo, Rhawanda, etc. The only thing it said about First Nations /US relationship was basically- although they did not always see eye to eye- the Europeans brought many inventions and the Indians gave the world many new foods. This became known as "The Columbian Exchange"
That was it. Nothing about how the Peoples were decimated, hunted, and moved in forced marches to be locked up. Nothing. Just they didn't always see eye to eye.

Hmmmm, let me see if I get this right: Sorry that this made you upset. 8) In reflection though, perhaps it shouldn't be too surprising though that these things happen. If you were the author/editor/publishing company for a book, textbook, you would be the exception to the rule if you went to great length in this book describing the atrocities that exist within your people (as they do within all people). Instead, most likely you would naturally spend a great deal of print relating facts about others, which directly or indirectly will leave 'your people' [generically speaking] looking pretty good.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#258New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 06:23:09
@shinobinoz Said

Obviously the intent is to hilight what a person is saying as an emphasis. It directs the reader to the words the writer wants you to pay attention to.

NOW AN ENTIRE POST LIKE THIS. THIS WOULD BE YELLING!!!!!!!

You are correct again my friend!!!! How is it you post just what I was thinking?
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#259New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 06:42:43
@DuLu Said

Thank you, lil or no caps, and I hear you loud and clear, and still feel your passion. Now, politely and with all due respect, I must disagree with parts on your thread - aYou say, unless you are black or any part black, you cannot possibly know ......
Isn't the reverse or actually the same true for all people, all races, in any situation, across the board - unless you 'are' them, you cannot possibly speak for them, or know from where they are coming. How can 'you' speak for them, you're not them, you're you - and unless you have a mouse in your pocket, you/anyone should speak for themselves, and let the others do the same.
b using your own words 'unless you are black or partially black, you cannot possibly know..... and yet it seems you go to great length to insure that we know you 'can' speak for them, you 'know' them. You know only that which they are showing or telling you about, with their game face on, whatever their game face is, whatever role they're playing, and whatever their personal agenda is. It makes no sense: 'we' can't possibly know, because we aren't them. but you on the other hand can possibly know - even though you aren't them either? Huh! If not directly, at least you are implying that you have the right to tell 'us' (whoever we may be) what we know and don't know, but unless we are 'you' or 'them', we don't have the right to say/think/feel or express an opinion about any of this - because 'we don't know"? In as kind as way as possible: "Who died and made you God?" ....made you or anyone that is, it is all encompassing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Complements to all who are posting here - admire the way the
discussion is flowing, and yet things are still remaining 'cool'.
Great posting by all.

Sorry to make this so short....but my pc is running slow.....I believe you have misquoted me......I didn't say you have to be black or even half black to fully understand blacks.......read it again please.....what I said was or what I meant was if you are not black, if you are not half black, and you are a white person who does NOT have ANY close, personal relationships with black people....I don't mean just black co-workers or black people who may live next door to you....if you are white and you don't have close.....meaning doing things with black people as much as you do with white people.....I can't possiblly know ALL black people.....but i'am half black, I have blacks in my family eat, drive......I can not explain this anymore....not trying to be God....nor am I saying you have to be black to know blacks......all my white friends and family members share my basic beliefs......they don't know blacks because they just listen to media or watch movies, t.v. shows about blacks.....they know them cause they want to......a few mo. ago, I let a couple of my white friends read some of these post regarding race issues.....let me just say.....they were stunned at the level of disrespect.....and lack of knowledge about blacks......how do you debate or disscuss this black issue...if you DON'T KNOW blacks? My white friends are my friends because they know and understand blacks as a result of their involvement with blacks.......I can't explain it any better than that.....being both races...has allowed me to see both sides of this race coin......
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#260New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 11:34:25
@doubtingthomas Said

I'm fairly sure, that even if we whre all the same color, we would figure out a new methoud of hating/desriminating and segregating ourselfs.

Dr Suess and the Star Belly Sneeches comes to mind.

I agree that discrimination is more expansive than just a question of skin colour. However, for people to discard their prejudices about skin colour they would also naturally have to discard similarly unreasonable prejudices about other differences. A solution would encompass a total rejection of all arbitrary divisions in society.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#261New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 18:05:14
@buffalobill90 Said

I agree that discrimination is more expansive than just a question of skin colour. However, for people to discard their prejudices about skin colour they would also naturally have to discard similarly unreasonable prejudices about other differences. A solution would encompass a total rejection of all arbitrary divisions in society.

Which is impossible....
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#262New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 18:14:21
@DuLu Said

Shino said: Obviously the intent is to hilight what a person is saying as an emphasis. It directs the reader to the words the writer wants you to pay attention to.

NOW AN ENTIRE POST LIKE THIS. THIS WOULD BE YELLING!!!!!!!

Shino - yes an entire post all caps would be yelling.
Or it may not be, depending on the tone of the post.
Why choose all caps as the means to direct the reader to the words you want them to pay attention to, knowing that it is 'understood' by many that all caps words/phrases/ sentences is yelling? Especially with a subject that is controversial and so many people may feel passionate about. If i want to emphsize the word passionate, I can underline it, or I can bold it, or I can italicize it, or I can "quote" it. Same with phrases,
or sentences, or whole posts. It is hard to get to the meat of a matter 'online', but the tone of someone's words when stated with such passion is not misunderstood, and generally the poster doesn't want it to be. Put the tone, and the passion and the caps all together, and people are 'put off' by that, and many are unable to or can't be bothered to go past that. In my humble opinion, that is.
I am merely trying to get the poster to see what could possibly be causing distrust or anomosity to the thread. My POV.

Should'nt that be pov or POV or..... I'm just fooling wichya!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#263New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 18:22:38
@rocket48 Said

I always appreciate your posts. You were making perfectly good sense to me. Some things irritate me about being PC. I live close to the San Jacinto Monument. The name of the road to the Battleship of Texas and Monument used to be called " Battle ground road". They had to change that to "independence Parkway" because the Mexicans thought it was "hurtful" to see the name Battleground Road.
Talk about changing history??

Thank you for your comment on my posting.
The term PC is a crock of crap IMO.
I will explain, I have never been in politics and have no plans to ever be . So when I as a person understand that some words and actions are not only unacceptable but wrong to use when referring to any group of people, it has nothing to do with my government telling me this. It is because I have heard someone or many someones from a group of people telling me or speaking publicly that the word or action is degrading and insulting. If as a person I could give a big rats a** that some may find or feel the use of a word or action is degrading and insulting and continued to do or say these things, again my government has nothing to do with my decision.
It makes no sense to me why some one would feel that a 'place' would need a new name as long as the name isn't something like
(insert any race) are a**holes Blvd. IMO if a battle took place there on in that area and the name refers to the battle not who won or lost , then I can't see where the name could be a problem. The name change won't change the outcome of what ever happened or the nationality of either side that was involved. Just my thoughts and opinion.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#264New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 18:53:17
@shinobinoz Said

Should'nt that be pov or POV or..... I'm just fooling wichya!

ha ha
gotcha. Believe POV is an acceptable capitalized acronym though
like USA or DEN or INC, though you don't see USA as Usa
you may see DEN as Den or INC as Inc and yada yada yada..
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#265New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 19:19:52
@Spinkiegirl Said

Sorry to make this so short....but my pc is running slow.....I believe you have misquoted me......I didn't say you have to be black or even half black to fully understand blacks.......read it again please....

@Spinkiegirl Said

unless you are a black person, half black person, have close personal friendships with blacks, hang out, dine, play, interact with blacks from day to day, etc.You can not possibly know for a fact that blacks feel

@DuLu Said

You say, unless you are black or any part black, you cannot possibly know ......

It becomes impossible to debate or discuss a topic when someone changes the meaning of a phrase or words they have used if they are disagreed with.

@Spinkiegirl Said

if you are not half black, and you are a white person who does NOT have ANY close, personal relationships with black people....I don't mean just black co-workers or black people who may live next door to you....if you are white and you don't have close.....meaning doing things with black people as much as you do with white people.....I can't possiblly know ALL black people.....but i'am half black, I have blacks in my family eat, drive......I can not explain this anymore....not trying to be God....nor am I saying you have to be black to know blacks......all my white friends and family members share my basic beliefs......they don't know blacks because they just listen to media or watch movies, t.v. shows about blacks.....they know them cause they want to......

It's called a discussion not a debate if a person uses only thier personal opinones or thoughts ( with no links) or proven information ,when telling others where or how they may be mistaken in what they say or think on a topic.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#266New Post! Aug 12, 2009 @ 19:30:16
@Spinkiegirl Said

a few mo. ago, I let a couple of my white friends read some of these post regarding race issues.....let me just say.....they were stunned at the level of disrespect.....and lack of knowledge about blacks......how do you debate or disscuss this black issue...if you DON'T KNOW blacks? My white friends are my friends because they know and understand blacks as a result of their involvement with blacks.......I can't explain it any better than that.....being both races...has allowed me to see both sides of this race coin......

I have seen where you have said that you showed some of your white friends some of the posts in TFS racism forums and they
".they were stunned at the level of disrespect.....and lack of knowledge about blacks" (direct quote)
I have a friend that I have known for several years , we first met as co workers . As a matter of fact she was the first black person I had ever been in contact with in my life. No, we don't dine or dance or drive or play or whatever together. We worked together for close to 3 years , she has been to my home and sat down to my table and had dinner with my family a few times and I have sat at her mothers table and had dinner with her family a few times. She married and moved out of state a few years ago and so the only contact we have now is emails and phone calls.
With that said , I decided to see what she felt about some of the posts in the TFS racism forums . So I sent her a link to the forums. She lurked for a few hours last nite . Now, there are somethings that just not acceptable for a person of one race to say to a person of another race . While IMing with her about her 'take' on the forums she used words like ' self hate' and 'denial' when talking about a few of the posts . She also pointed out that when a person has become convinced that where they are in life today is the fault of something or someone else's problems or actions whether it be in the past (resent or long gone) there just isn't much anyone else can do or say that will change anything. She told me of a few experiences she had as a black kid growing up in a Spanish speaking neighbor hood and some that happened when as a young teenager she went looking for a part time job . She experienced some pretty ugly racism from both the Spanish people and whites , let me tell you from what she said it's a hard spot to be in when your one of about a dozen black kids in a school of over 3000 kids and the 'accepted' minority is Spanish and Native American. She was discriminated against by some people on all sides . She also told about the people that paid no attention to her skin and treated her as a person . She said looking back there were more that treated her as a person then ones that seen only the color of her skin. I re framed from pointing out any one member or any one thread when I sent her the link . and I did not ask her for 'details' afterwards. I did tell her my user name . She ask me to please mention that there is no one posting on these forums that can say they know a **** thing about how she as a black woman thinks or feels , that the only person anyone can truthfully say they know anything about is themselves.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013