Parenting

Who's you're daddy?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
claire On September 15, 2009

Perth, Australia
#1New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 10:24:53
Paternity tests always make headlines, especially when people involved are in the public eye. Last year, Fedral Health Minister, Tony Abbott was reunited with Danial O' Connor, the love child he hadn't seen for 27 years, only to then discover from a DNA test that he wasn't his biological father after all.

Then there was the time Elizabeth Hurley's former boyfriend, Steve Bing, questioned whether he was the father of Hurley's now 4 year-old son - until a positive paternity test silenced him.

Recently daddy doubt has become a regular theme in popular culture: Desperate Housewives, Gabrielle got pregnant, her hubby asked for a paternity test, knowing she'd cheated on him with the gardener. And Kanye West's hit Gold Digger is about a women who dupes a man into believing her son is his.

A simple test can clear up daddy doubts, and getting one is as easy as ordering a pizza. But do paternity tests solve problems - or stir up new ones?
And should it be law that every baby is given a DNA test at birth?

Perth, Australia
#3New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 11:32:49
Live_a_lie:

What you're saying has it's good and bad points...
For example; I know this chick who recently found out that her father isn't her biological dad, after coming out with it, she has no need to find her bio dad cos she doesnt see the need to know. As far as she's concerned the man she calls daddy is her daddy, genetics plays nothing.
And her "dad", whilst shocked and upset, admitted he couldn't ask for a better daughter regardless of what a paternity test shows....at the end of the day for this family love is all that counts.

If I got pregnant and my boyfriend asked me for a DNA test, I'd be disgusted, I'd say if you that who you feel then screw you...I guess I'm hoping he trusts me better than that.
Asking for every baby to undergo a DNA test at birth, I think won't only see more divorces but also abortions and maybe even backyard births, which are incredibly dangerous.

Whilst on the other hand, DNA tests at birth, might curve infidelity.

It isn't about loving a child that isn't yours or unfair because the child won't know it's real father....
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#4New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 11:39:34
I have experience on going throw a DNA test, and i can tell you its a mind racking thing.. but ultimatlley satisfing to find out that you knew all along that the kid isnt uyours.. where missing the point with all this DNA testing and it coming back as negative.. it reflects just how unhonest most women are.. and i agree with Live_a_lie DNA tests should be done at birth.. then we should address the next step with the truth after that.

Unhonest people really piss me off, lieing is one thing but this is someones life, father and child..
innit!

#6New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 11:43:55
Will it lead to abortions or will it lead to less single parent families where the kids are brought up with thee really father in there lives.. with the mum or not?? the truth may hurt people but its a good stand point to create a future for people..... guys with all respect.. tilll it happens to you.. you wont beleive the emotion you go throw..

Perth, Australia
#7New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 11:54:41
A recent poll showed that DNA tests are on the rise in Austraila, between 5000 and 6000 tests done each year. And 70per cent are intiated by women. These women know the father won't want to be involved so request a paternity test for child support reasons.

But men are also iniating tests, often because they suspect they're not the biological father. About 20 per cent of samples sent to the lab reveal non-paternity.

Then there's so-called "paternity fraud", which gets men's rights groups in a lather, these are the groups recommending compulsory paternity tests at birth.
Whether or not deliberate duping is as common as they fear, it's brought the mother's invovlement into the equation.

In an ideal scenario, the mother and the alleged father would both be willing to submit to the test. But currently, the law doesn't prevent the man from carrying out the test behind the mother's back. And in a recent survey, nearly a quater of people felt comfortable with the idea of "motherless" testing.
brainfarmer On February 09, 2007

huddersfield, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:02:08
they should do a dna test on prince harry coz he's the image of james hewitt who princess di had a romp with
innit!

#9New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:16:40
@claire Said
A recent poll showed that DNA tests are on the rise in Austraila, between 5000 and 6000 tests done each year. And 70per cent are intiated by women. These women know the father won't want to be involved so request a paternity test for child support reasons.

But men are also iniating tests, often because they suspect they're not the biological father. About 20 per cent of samples sent to the lab reveal non-paternity.

Then there's so-called "paternity fraud", which gets men's rights groups in a lather, these are the groups recommending compulsory paternity tests at birth.
Whether or not deliberate duping is as common as they fear, it's brought the mother's invovlement into the equation.

In an ideal scenario, the mother and the alleged father would both be willing to submit to the test. But currently, the law doesn't prevent the man from carrying out the test behind the mother's back. And in a recent survey, nearly a quater of people felt comfortable with the idea of "motherless" testing.

Can i ask what are trying to get at??
Are you for DNA dtesting so that people know the truth?? or against.. because figures like that dont reflect real when the father has to pay a s*** load of money to prove he isnt the father or is.. The figure talks about people that take the test.. how about the real fiqure that dont take the test?? Its all media spin.. the truth is people cant be trusted..

Perth, Australia
#10New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:36:58
I'm niether for or against....

I've seen it from a few angles. I found out a few years ago that I'm not my dad's daughter, but he doesn't know and if he suspects, he hasn't said anything. And forthat matter I intend to take my seceret to the grave.

I've tried looking for my father, just because I'm curious, but I don't particularly care whether I locate him or not.

On the other hand, my sister is a bit of a player, she was going out with this guy for about a month when she got pregnant.
He demmanded a DNA test, and it came back stating him to be the dad. But he still won't pay child support or acknowledge the child as his because he's Cambodian and they see girls as less than men, so that's his reason for rejecting his baby daughter.
innit!

#11New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:46:59
god, im sorry to hear about your dad.. but is it your fathers fault?? dont you think that he deserves the truth?? He will still love you.. but i think that s so unfair.. and i blame your mother for that.. im sorry i had to say it.

Ive had enough of certain women lieing about these things.. and i am apart of a group trying to change the law..
beautifuldisaster On February 22, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#12New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:53:41
I'm sorry but the idea of compulsory DNA testing really insults me! I just had two beautiful children with my Fiance and I have never even considered sleeping around on him and I definatly would not try to pull the wool over his eyes if I knew for certain that any child of ours was not infact his. Just the simple idea of someone implying that I "may" have tried to do so really angers me. All it really does is belittle any woman who has never done a wrong thing by her partner and it's not right.

In saying this though if someone did try to force it on me I wouldn't say no because I'm not afraid of the results.

If a male is in a relationship which this could happen then he can initiate the test but it's wrong to make it compulsory in my opinion.
innit!

#13New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:57:20
@beautifuldisaster Said
I'm sorry but the idea of compulsory DNA testing really insults me! I just had two beautiful children with my Fiance and I have never even considered sleeping around on him and I definatly would not try to pull the wool over his eyes if I knew for certain that any child of ours was not infact his. Just the simple idea of someone implying that I "may" have tried to do so really angers me. All it really does is belittle any woman who has never done a wrong thing by her partner and it's not right.

In saying this though if someone did try to force it on me I wouldn't say no because I'm not afraid of the results.

If a male is in a relationship which this could happen then he can initiate the test but it's wrong to make it compulsory in my opinion.

Then as long as you have got nothing to hide then why should it insult you??

There are very vidictive people out there that want an easy life and would do any thing to get it.. including lieing about fatherhood...

Sorry to sound harsh.. its just something like this is happening to me..

Perth, Australia
#14New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 12:58:59
No it's not my dads fault and my mum and I aren't close as a result, and whilst I know he would love me no matter what, that's not why I'm keepping my silence.

My dad is almost 60, he's been married to my mum for 22 years, the reason he married her was because she was pregnant with me....
I believe that by not saying anything I'm sparing my dad, the truth. Maybe he diserves to know, but I don't think it'll change alot except cause huge pain and suffering.

Sometimes the truth is better left unsaid.
innit!

#15New Post! Sep 24, 2006 @ 13:03:24
@claire Said

Sometimes the truth is better left unsaid.

I should have asked the situation first, my bad.. you right in what you say.. es[pacially your dad at his age.. the beleif he has been bringing up a child for 21 years and its not his would hurt him alot at his age..

But dont you think after all this.. that DNA testing should be made compulsory...

I only say have a heart not just fo rthe child but the farther as well...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs