Religion & Philosophy

Who Is Jesus Christ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#46New Post! Aug 22, 2021 @ 11:13:39
What do You want of me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You before God not to torture me!
Darkman666 On about 12 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#47New Post! Aug 22, 2021 @ 17:20:03
who is jesus christ?

i know a story about a horse and jesus christ.

this is a ranch, that rent out horses for horseback riders. one day, an inexperience horse back rider got an horse. the trainer told him, tell the horse, " jesus " to get him to move. then, tell him, " amen " to stop.

of course, the rider doesn't believe the trainer. the man just sitting on the horse, and lightly kicking him, and the horse doesn't move. so, then, then the man said, " jesus ", before the man caught his breath, the horse starts running, and the man is panicing and praying to god.

the man is praying so much, he is just really how dangerous of losing his life. the horse running toward an cliff that drop over 1000 feet straight down. all sudden, then the man said out loud, " amen ". the horse stops few inches from the edge of the cliff. all sudden, a huge relief came over the man, and then the man said, " jesus! "

the moral of the story:

the horse is no jesus christ, he ain't no mr.ed, either!
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#48New Post! Aug 23, 2021 @ 16:32:48
Who is Jesus Christ?

Jesus Christ is a winner!

All those the Father give me will come to me, and whoever come to me I will never drive away.

I think the only problem here is we have to remember that "drive away" is similar "cast out."
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#49New Post! Aug 24, 2021 @ 08:38:13
Who is Jesus Christ?

Jesus is loyal. Jesus is loyal to God and worthy of loyalty.

Loyalty to God is such a Cosmic value that the sworn enemy of Heaven (Satan!) is portrayed by Dante as chewing on the head of Judas who was the most damnable of betrayers in human history.

(In reality, Satan is not ugly but is illustrated this way to show his personality and character)
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#50New Post! Aug 24, 2021 @ 16:55:55
@Na Said

Who is Jesus Christ?

Jesus is loyal. Jesus is loyal to God and worthy of loyalty.

Loyalty to God is such a Cosmic value that the sworn enemy of Heaven (Satan!) is portrayed by Dante as chewing on the head of Judas who was the most damnable of betrayers in human history.

(In reality, Satan is not ugly but is illustrated this way to show his personality and character)

Here an early conception of Satan chewing on Judas.

Don't be a Judas. Don't betray Jesus.

chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#51New Post! Aug 24, 2021 @ 18:48:36
@Na Said

Here an early conception of Satan chewing on Judas.

Don't be a Judas. Don't betray Jesus.

Judas' roll was predetermined by God literally thousands of years before he (Judas) betrayed Jesus.
Judas' literally had no choice in the matter.

The Judas story, combined with God's attributes, leads to three possible conclusions:

1. Judas (including his soul) was a sacrificial lamb screwed over by god. Hey, someone has to go to hell so this weird story works... let's go with... um... Judas!

2. Judas was preselected by god to be an unwitting hero in the Jesus story; literally sacrificing himself so that Jesus could in fact fulfill the prophesy.

3. Jesus and Judas were both just humans. There was no prophesy to be fulfilled. There was no Abrahamic god playing some weird cosmic game with the lives and souls of various men and women. Just a pair of humans who had a philosophical parting of ways, which led one (Judas) to betray the other (Jesus).

Note: Options #1 and #2 basically mean the Judas had no "free will". Option #3 means the Judas did have "free will". Either way, the devil had nothing to do with it... unless that was another weird part of the weird game... create Satan who was predetermined to "make" Judas who was also predetermined to betray Jesus.... the plot thickens, but only because God kept adding weird spices to the mixture.
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#52New Post! Aug 25, 2021 @ 05:44:01
Who Is Jesus Christ?

Jesus is the Truth.

Jesus says he's the truth in John 14.

He's not just sincere, not just a man of facts, not just a man who apprehends reality without distortion.

Sincere, factual, real, and beyond that Cosmic. Jesus is the Truth.

The enemy says truth is relative. Don't be the enemy.

dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#53New Post! Sep 20, 2021 @ 09:29:40
@Na Said

Who Is Jesus Christ?

Jesus is the Truth.

Jesus says he's the truth in John 14.

He's not just sincere, not just a man of facts, not just a man who apprehends reality without distortion.

Sincere, factual, real, and beyond that Cosmic. Jesus is the Truth.

The enemy says truth is relative. Don't be the enemy.

Christ is the truth. Christ, aka Tao, Logos, Word, whatever.

As so many have observed, throughout the whole world of Faiths, from time immemorial (in other words, NOT "new age nonsense" ) every particular contains the universal .

Jesus would thus have "contained the universal." However, to make any claim that Jesus was some sort of totally unique incarnation of the universal, some sort of particular particular, actually simply confuses and distorts, and worse, opens the way for Inquisitions, division, ignorance and bigotry. Of which our world has surely seen enough.

Now this post can safely be either ignored or responded to by yet another display of ignorance.

Thank you
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Sep 20, 2021 @ 11:55:44
Further to my post above, a word from T.S.Eliot (or at least, his thought):-

T.S.Eliot, who knew his Christian mystics as well as being well read on the various eastern faiths, felt no compunction in alluding to the Bhagavad Gita in one section of his poems and Dante's Paradiso in the next. He was not interested in judging various doctrines/beliefs or even in contrasting them with each other, nor in reconciling them. Instead, he claims that prior to the differentiation of various religious paths, there is a universal substratum called Word (logos) of which religions are concretions. This logos is an object both of belief and disbelief. It is an object of belief in that, without prior belief in the logos, any subsequent religious belief is incoherent. It is an object of disbelief in that belief in it is empty, the positive content of actual belief is fully invested in religious doctrine.

So "truth" is indeed not "relative" but is to be found within Reality itself. Yet such "truth" can be expressed in infinite ways. The beauty of difference.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#55New Post! Sep 20, 2021 @ 12:02:05
Therefore the "enemy" (if one must insist upon having an enemy) are those who are over dogmatic, who claim "truth" only for their own creed, who are, historically, the instigators of division and conflict.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Sep 21, 2021 @ 07:32:14
Just a final word. In effect the world has already moved on beyond "Jesus" (as being necessarily linked to Christ) Even the die-hard fundamentalists rarely seek to link their defence of Jesus as "truth" (or whatever) with what is recorded in the Gospels. i.e. Cursing fig-trees, flaying at his own enemies, being anything but a "peacemaker" by the actual evidence available, while St Paul totally ignores the historical Jesus to build his theology.

Threads like this one demonstrate the sheer confusion and pointlessness of the entire exercise.

I will retire to my Journal, maybe post an occasional Memo from the Pure Land.

May Christ be with you all.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#57New Post! Sep 22, 2021 @ 12:25:43
@Leon Said

The Bible itself is a selected set of verses that confirm a pre-existing bias (read the Apostolic Fathers, Nag Hammadi, and Dead Sea Scrolls, in addition to the Bible if you want to include most of what is available), not to mention everything in there on Jesus, our only sources on him, was written at least 100 years after Christ, long after actual eyewitnesses we’re dead.

Yes, true, I was in a bookshop today which had a huge selection of "gnostic" texts and associated literature. One huge book was called "The Other Bible" and was literally bigger than the accepted one (there are also various differing canons of the "accepted" version) It contained all the different gospels written at the time, various letters to early churches, much other stuff.

Given this, plus the thousands of textual variations highlighted by various scholars, it really seems an odd way for any "higher being" to communicate his message to us.

Obviously, if the message is the Word ( not the word) and the pre-eminent "revelation" is Reality itself, then any particular "holy" book can find a place at the table. Just not the pre-eminent place.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#58New Post! Sep 22, 2021 @ 13:42:57
@dookie Said

Obviously, if the message is the Word ( not the word) and the pre-eminent "revelation" is Reality itself, then any particular "holy" book can find a place at the table. Just not the pre-eminent place.

Which is why I have the Bhagavad Gita, Upanishad, Vinaya, Sutta Pitaka, Jakarta Tales, Suttanipata, Dhammapada, Udana, Ittivutaka, Therigatha, the earlier mentioned Dead Sea Scrolls, Nag Hammadi, and Apostolic Fathers, the recently released ESV translation of the Bible, Koran, 40 Hadith, Four Books and Five Classics of Confucianism, Tao Te Ching, Book of Chuang Tzu, and 5-10 or so of major European/Western philosophers all purchased and downloaded on my phone, ready to read when I ever have the time.

Maybe I’ll learn a thing or two I haven’t before.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#59New Post! Sep 22, 2021 @ 14:13:32
@Leon Said

Maybe I’ll learn a thing or two I haven’t before.

Not really being one to speak, having what can only be called a dustbin for a mind, nevertheless I've found it more an unlearning of preconceived ideas. The posh name is the via negativa.

As per the T S Eliot quote before, I think we need some sort of "belief" in the universal substratum (logos) to begin to make anything at all of the various texts of our world's "holy" books. It's a bit of a quagmire.

Obviously, if any "particular" potentially contains the universal, then even one single verse can become illuminating, much like the guy who "got it" when the Buddha simply held up a flower. It certainly saved him a lot of reading!
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#60New Post! Sep 22, 2021 @ 15:58:18
@dookie Said

Not really being one to speak, having what can only be called a dustbin for a mind, nevertheless I've found it more an unlearning of preconceived ideas. The posh name is the via negativa.

As per the T S Eliot quote before, I think we need some sort of "belief" in the universal substratum (logos) to begin to make anything at all of the various texts of our world's "holy" books. It's a bit of a quagmire.

Obviously, if any "particular" potentially contains the universal, then even one single verse can become illuminating, much like the guy who "got it" when the Buddha simply held up a flower. It certainly saved him a lot of reading!

I suspect you are right. I may find, after reading all of it (if I ever accomplish such a feat), that nobody really knows what they are talking about. It’s probably all just our feeble attempt at interpreting what we experience through our five senses - which may end up being all that we really need, hence Buddha’s flower.

I also included Hawkins and Sagan in my collection for good measure - all they do is talk and theorize about what is indeed observable. As well as Will Durant for his historical take on our great struggle here on earth - aka civilization.

Regardless, at the very least, knowing what such minds have said at least allows for greater discussion at the dinner table once in retirement.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs