White Privilege

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
GreenAppleKing On April 23, 2015

Deleted

, United States (general)
#1New Post! May 24, 2014 @ 14:40:30
I was very much impressed by the genius marketing of this idea when I discovered it.

I altered a cigarette ad to help them in their cause.

Oh Noz here comes White Privilege

Uploaded at ImageFra.me
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#2New Post! May 24, 2014 @ 17:13:59
I got attacked on Facebook for making a comment regarding welfare the other day. Even though I see the welfare abuse stereotype all around me (thanks to where I live) - the fact that I'm white means that my opinion is automatically invalid. I am pigeon holed as a fox news watching, Sarah Palin loving conservative for pointing out a broken system that is bleeding California dry.

I have experienced this same "white privilege" stereotyping many times. Usually it's other white people calling me names and degrading my opinion based on my ethnicity.

It's true that whites have it easier, I'll never dispute that. However, the "white privilege" people (that I know personally) around my age have rich parents that fund all of their endeavors. They aren't making enough money from work to live on their own or getting promotions. The difference is they have people in their corner with money already. Once their parents die, they are going to be screwed. I know plenty of Hispanics from rich families that fall into the same category. It seems in America, if you are handed everything as a child, you grow up to be a useless, entitled adult regardless of race.

However, I know many people here on TFS won't agree with what I just said. The argument is usually focused on the benefits of privilege. However, the inequality starts in education. You need to know how to get out of poverty in order to actually get out of it. The dumbing down of the nation overall is enhancing the rifts between classes. Our nation is falling behind other nations overall. It is a complex problem that will require a complex answer.
Electric_Banana On about 7 hours ago

, New Zealand
#3New Post! May 24, 2014 @ 17:28:55
I'm a heterosexual white male and I've been suppressed all of my life.

Equal opportunity discrimination nowadays.

Three options you have to get through life comfortably no matter what race or sex you are:

1. From the start, train people to fear you

2. Wealth & Beauty

3. Surrender your own principles to the viewpoints of the most influential constituencies even if you know they're wrong or even harmful (Selling of the soul)
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! May 25, 2014 @ 06:27:47
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#5New Post! May 25, 2014 @ 19:48:48
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#6New Post! May 25, 2014 @ 20:11:36
White privilege happens in dominant white Nations.
What ever color is the Dominant race of that nation. That race will mostly likely be the Privilege race Including in my nation.

People are attracted to like kinds so that is who they will most likely have around them.

Deleted

#7New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 00:10:09
@DuLu Said

You can stop dishing it anytime
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#8New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 01:22:18
The fact that there are poor white people doesn't disprove that there actually is white privilege, and the fact that there are organizations that support minorities and not white people is actually indicative that white privilege in fact exists.

You shouldn't feel guilty for being the "wrong color" no matter what color you are, but that isn't what the acknowledgement of white privilege is pushing.

Deleted

#9New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 01:26:34
@Eaglebauer Said

The fact that there are poor white people doesn't disprove that there actually is white privilege, and the fact that there are organizations that support minorities and not white people is actually indicative that white privilege in fact exists.

You shouldn't feel guilty for being the "wrong color" no matter what color you are, but that isn't what the acknowledgement of white privilege is pushing.

acknowledgment or accusation?
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 01:30:38
@GreenAppleKing Said

acknowledgment or accusation?

Acknowledgement.

If you are white, and someone says that there is white privilege in this country, it isn't necessarily an indictment against you. Just an acknowledgement that the privilege is there. It doesn't mean that you had a hand in creating it or that you personally are guilty of anything.

Is it universal? No. There are parts of the country and certain instances in this society where being a white man is not a good thing, and I disagree with those situations as much as I disagree with white privilege in others.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 01:36:47
I will also add that I have witnessed that card being overplayed and recognize that that is just as much a symptom of the race problem that then goes to propagate the race problem. Just ten minutes ago I watched a man being lead to a jail cell by a white cop who was called a racist for arresting him. I know the cop personally and he's married to a black woman, while the man he arrested was caught beating his own son.

I recognize that the problem of painting "the other side" as privileged and racist is a two way street and comes from both sides of the race line, but isn't it self defeating to feed into that and just sling mud back and forth?

Deleted

#12New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 01:47:08
Brer Rabbit was trapped by the tar baby because he expected the doll to honor a greeting and he let his emotions get the best of him.

White privilege is the same trap. I'll expect some truth and meaning to come of this and from that will only become entangled.

I won't be taken by it, and my only goal here is to signal others to stay away.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#13New Post! May 29, 2014 @ 02:12:42
White privilege isn't a trap. It's an actual problem in some parts of our country, whether you are cognizant of it or not. If you'd rather ignore it or say that it isn't there, I can't stop you. You're the only one who can make that choice.

I do wonder what it is you think you're going to become entangled in? And if you haven't really acknowledged it, how is it that you know it's a trap that will entangle you?

I'm not insulting you or saying you have to believe as I do, but it is counterproductive to try to convince people that no problem exists where there actually is one. I think honestly it will be there long after you and I aren't anymore, but I personally choose not to ignore it all the same. I have a problem with racism of any stripe, and I honestly don't understand how you can seriously deny that white people still enjoy an advantage in a lot of areas of society simply because we are the dominant race.

But...I'm probably not going to change your mind. You won't change mine either. We both might think that's unfortunate for different reasons.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#14New Post! May 30, 2014 @ 02:11:55
@GreenAppleKing Said

I was very much impressed by the genius marketing of this idea when I discovered it.

I altered a cigarette ad to help them in their cause.

Oh Noz here comes White Privilege

Uploaded at ImageFra.me

shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! May 30, 2014 @ 02:14:57
@Eaglebauer Said

Bingo. Also to what Restoreone said.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs