The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

White House Announces Saudi Arms Deal - Was This Smart?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Sep 14, 2010 @ 02:01:20
The White House has announced what is potentially the largest weapons sale in history to Saudi Arabia. $60BB to include top line aircraft, munitions, tanks, helicopters and on and on. Reuters is reporting the deal in a short media report as the WH will not release details until Congress receives the details next week sometime. https://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/547089/201009131843/Large-Saudi-arms-deal-disclosed.aspx

With the MidEast being in the volatile state it is in, was this a smart move? Israel is obviously unhappy with the announcement. The Iranians will be less than overjoyed. Keep in mind, Wahabism is the main Sunni cult religion in Saudi Arabia and it is violent and anti-Western. So what gives here? Why would the White House enter into this kind of deal? What do they expect to come of it?
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#2New Post! Sep 14, 2010 @ 03:20:08
meh, the US has already granted billions of dollars worth of military equipment over the years.

granting more isn't exactly outlandish, especially considering the advanced aircraft, isn't that relatively advanced any more, not too mention Saudi Arabia already own quantities of these aircraft.

as for Israel, i remember reading that they are getting access to, to the new stock of advanced aircraft (f 35), so they may not like this Saudi deal, but they'll live.

to sum this story up, "storm in a tea cup"

of course none of this touches on the benefits of this deal, the thousands of jobs that will be created, and the billions of dollars that will be injected into the economy.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 14, 2010 @ 13:34:03
Seeing as Saudi Arabia is a US ally I don't see why not.

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#4New Post! Sep 14, 2010 @ 13:53:18
@SparklyKatie Said

Seeing as Saudi Arabia is a US ally I don't see why not.

A lot of us here have problems with the US being allied with the Saudis. Many of us want a full extraction from the MidEast. We'd be just as happy not dealing with them or taking their oil. We have plenty in Alaska, the continental West, the Gulf of Mexico and other coastal shelves. We get the bulk of our oil from Canada and can always purchase one Western group away from any MidEast producer. Hey, the Russians would be happy to sell us oil.

I think its time to let your country run that MidEast show. You did it before we ever came into the picture, and for a much longer period of time.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#5New Post! Sep 15, 2010 @ 16:34:44
@Junkyard_Jim Said

The White House has announced what is potentially the largest weapons sale in history to Saudi Arabia. $60BB to include top line aircraft, munitions, tanks, helicopters and on and on. Reuters is reporting the deal in a short media report as the WH will not release details until Congress receives the details next week sometime. https://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/547089/201009131843/Large-Saudi-arms-deal-disclosed.aspx

With the MidEast being in the volatile state it is in, was this a smart move? Israel is obviously unhappy with the announcement. The Iranians will be less than overjoyed. Keep in mind, Wahabism is the main Sunni cult religion in Saudi Arabia and it is violent and anti-Western. So what gives here? Why would the White House enter into this kind of deal? What do they expect to come of it?

Tes! IF Washington can assure me that those deadly aircraft could neer be used against us or our allies! It can be done!

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#6New Post! Sep 15, 2010 @ 18:04:58
@WASH Said

Tes! IF Washington can assure me that those deadly aircraft could neer be used against us or our allies! It can be done!

Sounds like it is a done deal, Wash. My question, given the dislike for Americans, why do we bother with any of these governments? That area is like an insane asylum as far as numbers of jihadists, extremists, fundamentalists, corrupt or despotic governements, lunatic holy men and large ethnic populations that hate one another, have little support for nationalism re their country and would prefer to align by tribal or clan areas.

We have the technology and the resources to go largely in-house and let the European Union deal with that mess. They have a lot of opinions on it, are not greatly involved (except for Britain) and they created the mess there to start with.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs