The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Which system of education in regards to the study of politics do you agree with?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
When do you think a child should begin to study politics and its different sides?
At a very young age (<10).
At the age of 12 at school and/or at home.
At the age of 16 at school and/or at home.
At the age of 18 at school and/or at home.
Children should never be taught politics, but rather allowed and/or encouraged to decide for themselves on their own time.
The choice should be made by their parents with no set law on the matter.
No system. This all seems like George Orwell's 1984.
View Results
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#1New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:30:06
I don't have my mind made up yet, but it was an interesting discussion brought up in my philosophy class. A person suggested a law be made to make learning of politics by children before the age of 18 illegal so as not to allow for the risk of brainwashing. I'm not saying it's a a bad idea. I mean, I see some 2 or 3-year-old's here in the political parties' colors like they even know the names of those parties...
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#2New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:33:05
Children shouldn't be taught politics imo.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:33:21
blimey, as soon as you start teaching history IMO. Even very small children can grasp politics. It all starts in the playground.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#4New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:40:52
Okay, I added a poll option for at a very young age for whatever reason you choose to mention in the thread.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:56:45
I voted now

The reason why I feel its something that young children should be taught is politics is probably one of the most important things in a persons life if they are living in any society.

Even animals have politics. The first lesson learned is protect or be protected. To understand any authority at all is to learn politics.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 18:58:26
I think about 10 maybe. That's when I was first taught about politics in School and I was hooked from then on.

In saying that I remember my mum always talking about politics at home from earlier than that and me asking questions as to what she was talking about.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 19:06:07
I voted 12+. I unfortunately knew people at my secondary school who couldn't even tell me who the Prime Minister was, which is something I find appalling considering it's the person who essentially controls the country in one way or another.

Politics effects the price of alcohol, the fact that we have tuition fees, petrol prices, cigarette tax, VAT, wages, etc, which are all things that young people may well be interested in (though hopefully not at 12 ), so they might as well learn about it when they're younger and actually able to form a clear understanding with the guidance of teachers.

It should definitely be taught at school and not left solely to parents though, as it means they are more likely to learn about the parties objectively and then make up their own mind.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Jan 27, 2011 @ 19:35:03
Politics is different than law and history.

Learning and understanding law, its process, what it means and the history behind it is essential first. Politics is build up on that that I think should be started in middle school.

Learning the political platform, history and its laws that built a country should be started by a young age but it should not go into "who are you and what you believe in," at that young of an age. Because quite frankly...at ten years old, you haven't been through half the things and EVENTS that could touch you if you were otherwise an adult. Learning how to FIND out about something is different than being TAUGHT how to be something...and its essential that you are not pushing that a young age. There a minor difference but important ones.

There are so many types of politics...its not even elections, its work politics, business politics, consumer politics, educational politics, governmental politics, sports politics...

Understanding the base platform which is law and history is what I think is essential.

As far as elections and studying politics in that relm, I think that should be decided by the kid themselves. No one needs a proper theoretical system to adhere by because they are theory, they truly don't exist in real life and that is something that should be learned.

Not to mention, many high school, colleges and even some middle schools offer clubs and internships that allow you to be behind a politicians campaign. But I think that is a PERSONAL choice that needs to be decided by the kid themselves.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 00:07:42
I have this great memory of watching an educational programme when I was 10 in P7 at school which was presented by Jon Snow.

He outlined the basic ideologies behind the three main parties in the simplest possible terms.

Our teacher then asked us to put our hands up based on which party we thought was best. I remember raising my hand at Labour, based on the simplistic idea that equality was essential.

I also remember Labour being the most unpopular choice but it all started a great lessen in what was called 'Citizenship'. Citizenship was essentially a lesson about politics and political issues presented for primary age children. I absolutely loved it. By the time my sister got to that age they had gotten rid of it.

Now, 11 years later I have an active and passionate interest in politics, whilst my sister's interest is passive at best. I'm not saying that this is solely due to the political lessons at school but that may have something to do with it.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#10New Post! Jan 28, 2011 @ 10:50:39
Back in the dark ages when I was in school, we had a class in civics. It taught us how government worked. Our history class touched on the political parties a bit. I believe anything beyond that would open the door to brainwashing.
culturalrider On February 03, 2011

Griffith, Indiana
#11New Post! Feb 02, 2011 @ 21:53:43
Politics is not as major a subject as history, which tends to propagandize children towards nationalism and tends to downplay non-governmental solutions to problems.
fun2bme On February 16, 2011

St Joseph, Michigan
#12New Post! Feb 10, 2011 @ 22:57:55
Like anything else taught to children, politics should begin when the kids can understand the relationship values and should increase in complexity as that understanding increases. I think this is around ten or so (judging form my kids)although there seems to be two definitions of "politics" on the table here. I am referring to political science not the social politics of survival, that begins at birth, hopefully and should be taught by parents, teachers, and religious leaders through out life (not too mention by life itself).
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#13New Post! Feb 15, 2011 @ 18:58:37
POlitics has invadeed every phase of our lives. And includes family, friends,strangers and enemies which we still have not met. I wrote a book on this subjewct and described each phase. Yt is in letter form more easily understood.

THE LETTERS CHRONICLE THE HISTORY OF THE EVOLUTION OF POLITICIANS IN OUR GOVERNMENT POLITICS
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs