The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Sports:
2012 Olympics

Which sport that is in the Olympics now. Would you not really call a sport? And why?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
scardycat On May 17, 2014

, Australia
#1New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 14:50:23
There are so many different sports in the Olympics. On the radio today they had a section where they asked people to ring up with there opinions.
The question was
Which sport that is in the Olympics now do you think is not really a sport? And why?
Well they got heaps of calls and this was some of the answers.

Fencing: Why? It reminded the caller of a couple of kids playing with swords pretending to be pirates.

trampolining : Why because trampolining is something you do in your backyard for fun.

synchronized swimming: We have all done handstands and pretended we could dance underwater. All it is to me is a lot of splashing and sticking arms and legs in the air, Sorry its just doesnt do it for me. Its stupid.

So
Which sport that is in the Olympics now. Would you not really a sport? And why?

Debate....
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:09:46
Table tennis. I know it's more like extreme table tennis when you see them do it, but it still seems a bit of an odd choice for an olympic sport.

I also think it's odd that weightlifting is included, simply because it doesn't really look like a competitive sport. I'm sure it is in some form or other, but I can't see it really.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:11:28
Fencing is a great Olympic sport. The Olympics really started as military training games, and to see swordfighting still represented is awesome. It's fun to watch and fun to participate in.

Anyway, I'd say table tennis too. And synchronized swimming.

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:13:58
@scardycat Said

Fencing: Why? It reminded the caller of a couple of kids playing with swords pretending to be pirates.

How is that not cool though?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:16:33
Table tennis requires a lot of hand eye coordination and quick reflex skill, so it is very much a sport, in that it is a competition heavily reliant on physical skill.

One could more easily have a case against equestrian events being a legitimate sport since most of the physical skill involved is in the animal rather than the human receiving the medal.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:19:36
@Leon Said

Table tennis requires a lot of hand eye coordination and quick reflex skill, so it is very much a sport, in that it is a competition heavily reliant on physical skill.

One could more easily have a case against equestrian events being a legitimate sport since most of the physical skill involved is in the animal rather than the human receiving the medal.

It is a sport, yes. I don't think anyone said it's not. It's a pretty silly sport to have in the Olympics though.

I'm torn on the equestrian thing. On the one hand it's cool to have horsemanship as an event, as that was an important military skill, but on the other it doesn't really have a ton to do with the human.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:20:35
@sister_of_mercy Said

Table tennis. I know it's more like extreme table tennis when you see them do it, but it still seems a bit of an odd choice for an olympic sport.

I also think it's odd that weightlifting is included, simply because it doesn't really look like a competitive sport. I'm sure it is in some form or other, but I can't see it really.

How can you get more pure a competition of strength than weightlifting?

The guy who can lift the heaviest bar wins. End of story.

Run faster, jump higher, lift heavier.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:21:31
@jonnythan Said

It is a sport, yes. I don't think anyone said it's not. It's a pretty silly sport to have in the Olympics though.

I'm torn on the equestrian thing. On the one hand it's cool to have horsemanship as an event, as that was an important military skill, but on the other it doesn't really have a ton to do with the human.

I see. I was just going by the title of this thread and then seeing people list table tennis. So that was deceiving.

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:29:32
@jonnythan Said

How can you get more pure a competition of strength than weightlifting?

The guy who can lift the heaviest bar wins. End of story.

Run faster, jump higher, lift heavier.

I guess yeah in that sense I can understand it. It's just not really a team based sport like tennis or whatever. Then again you could say that about diving and that seems to make more sense to me for some reason.

I think it just reminds me too much of The World's Strongest Man for me to take it seriously
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 15:38:46
Up until 1948 there were Olympic medals given for Town Planning.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#11New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 16:18:04
@sister_of_mercy Said

I guess yeah in that sense I can understand it. It's just not really a team based sport like tennis or whatever. Then again you could say that about diving and that seems to make more sense to me for some reason.

I think it just reminds me too much of The World's Strongest Man for me to take it seriously

Of all the actual team-based sports, you pick the one - tennis - that is primarily an individual sport

Many or most Olympic sports are individual anyway. Swimming, sprinting, high and long jumping, etc.

Besides, shouldn't the strongest man in the world get a gold medal at the Olympics?
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Jul 30, 2012 @ 16:28:41
I am not a fan of any of the sports that require judges to give an opinion/score.

One must be very athletic to perform well in diving, gymnastics, etc.... but (to me) the scoring is subjective.

I like sports where a person clearly wins... as in faster (sprinting), higher, longer, farther (javelin, disc...), more weight lifted, more precise on target (shooting, archery), more points scored (as in tennis, soccer, water polo...) etc.

Winning because judges provide scores that are averaged to say one person did a performance more precisely... not for me.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs