The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Psychology

What would happen if you gave a blind person Hallucinogens?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
TheRealSimmonds On December 11, 2010

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 01:35:05
I just dunno what would happen, so Im throwing it out there.
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#2New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 01:40:37
@TheRealSimmonds Said

One doesn't have to be able to see to hallucinate. Some people hear things that aren't there. I'm sure there would be some brain impairment anyway. It's not a good idea for anyone to take hallucinogens. If you must share with others, please make sure everyone is in a safe place.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 01:43:41
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#4New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 01:51:54
@buffalobill90 Said

[img]

Fixed it.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#5New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:13:33
The synapses would still misfire causing hallucinations.
It would be interesting to get their impressions after their trip.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#6New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:15:21
Hallucinations can be auditory too, and certain hallucinogens can produce more "out of body" experiences. But it's an interesting question.

I've always kinda wondered what it would be like to sort of develop a "new" sense (think of people getting cochlear implants and stuff).
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#7New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:21:48
@annski729 Said

Hallucinations can be auditory too, and certain hallucinogens can produce more "out of body" experiences. But it's an interesting question.

I've always kinda wondered what it would be like to sort of develop a "new" sense (think of people getting cochlear implants and stuff).

But you wouldn't recommend anyone trying hallucinogens, right?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#8New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:27:37
@TheRealSimmonds Said

how does a blind person know when to stop wiping their rear?

i have 1 blind eye.
that could mess with my brain.
but
if you could make reality, into a halusy thingy.
then a blind person could see.

got any thoughts?

these look cool.
dyslexic_god On December 12, 2012

, Ireland
#9New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:28:42
Do blind people hallucinate on LSD?: I've just found a remarkable 1963 study [pdf] from the Archives of Opthalmologyin which 24 blind participants took LSD to see if they could experience visual hallucinations.It turns out, they can, although this seems largely to be the case in blind people who had several years of sight to begin with, but who later lost their vision.Those blind from a very early age (younger than two years-old) did not report visual hallucinations, probably because they never had enough visual experience to shape a fully-functioning visual system when their brain was still developing.It is evident that a normal retina is not needed for the occurrence of LSD-induced visual experiences. These visual experiences do not seem to differ from the hallucinations reported by normal subjects after LSD.Such phenomena occurred only in blind subjects who reported prior visual activity. The drug increased the frequency of visual events such as spots, lights, dots, and flickers. However, the complex visual experiences reported by 3 subjects after LSD did not occur after placebo or in ordinary experience. It is interesting to note that duration of blindness was not related to the occurrence of visual hallucinations; nor was intelligence, acuity of visual memory, or use of visual imagery in speech. I mentioned in an earlier post on auditory hallucinations in deaf people that I'd heard rumours of studies on LSD in blind people but never found any reports. This study is not the only one it seems. The paper reviews several other studies in the same area.Three other reports deal with the effects of hallucinogenic drugs on blind subjects. Alema reported that 50 micrograms of orally administered LSD induced elaborate visual hallucinations in a subject with bilateral enucleations of the eyeball. However, the effects of 50 micrograms of LSD are stated to have persisted for the incredibly long period of 5 days (they usually last 6 hours). This subject was noted to have spontaneous visual activity.

#10New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:30:55
@PaNda Said

But you wouldn't recommend anyone trying hallucinogens, right?

Of course not. Nor would I support giving illegal drugs to humans experimentally either.

I actually found a study in which something like this was done with monkeys, but I don't feel like paying for the journal to find out the results

#11New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:32:25
@dyslexic_god Said

Do blind people hallucinate on LSD?: I've just found a remarkable 1963 study [pdf] from the Archives of Opthalmologyin which 24 blind participants took LSD to see if they could experience visual hallucinations.It turns out, they can, although this seems largely to be the case in blind people who had several years of sight to begin with, but who later lost their vision.Those blind from a very early age (younger than two years-old) did not report visual hallucinations, probably because they never had enough visual experience to shape a fully-functioning visual system when their brain was still developing.It is evident that a normal retina is not needed for the occurrence of LSD-induced visual experiences. These visual experiences do not seem to differ from the hallucinations reported by normal subjects after LSD.Such phenomena occurred only in blind subjects who reported prior visual activity. The drug increased the frequency of visual events such as spots, lights, dots, and flickers. However, the complex visual experiences reported by 3 subjects after LSD did not occur after placebo or in ordinary experience. It is interesting to note that duration of blindness was not related to the occurrence of visual hallucinations; nor was intelligence, acuity of visual memory, or use of visual imagery in speech. I mentioned in an earlier post on auditory hallucinations in deaf people that I'd heard rumours of studies on LSD in blind people but never found any reports. This study is not the only one it seems. The paper reviews several other studies in the same area.Three other reports deal with the effects of hallucinogenic drugs on blind subjects. Alema reported that 50 micrograms of orally administered LSD induced elaborate visual hallucinations in a subject with bilateral enucleations of the eyeball. However, the effects of 50 micrograms of LSD are stated to have persisted for the incredibly long period of 5 days (they usually last 6 hours). This subject was noted to have spontaneous visual activity.

Interesting. Can you post a citation please?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#12New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:33:48
this thread needs a theme song.

dyslexic_god On December 12, 2012

, Ireland
#13New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:43:47
Go to mindhacks.com. Its the blog from Nov 18 2009. Cant provide links on the PS3, sorry.

#14New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:48:57
@dyslexic_god Said

Go to mindhacks.com. Its the blog from Nov 18 2009. Cant provide links on the PS3, sorry.

OK thanks for the directions.

Here's the link: https://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2009/11/do_blind_people_hall.html
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#15New Post! Dec 13, 2009 @ 02:49:47
the brain can only recreate what it has seen?
kinda like a blank harddrive don't run anything?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs