The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Woman Talk

What to buy VS what to wait to get at the baby shower?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 00:05:13
I already bought the crib, the glider and now I'm saving up for a dresser/changing table combo. My dad is building me an heirloom cradle.

When my mom and I went to Babies R Us, we saw a LOT of stuff that I'm interested in getting, but she reminded me to not buy too much because I'm having a baby shower (or two; mom's side & dad's side).

What things should I definitely buy myself VS what should I wait to get at the shower(s)?

Thanks
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 00:40:31
Since you already have your furniture, I would wait until after the shower to see what you don't get. If you're registering somewhere (which I strongly suggest), go ahead and register for everything you want. Things like strollers are expensive, and you wouldn't want one person to buy them, but some of your friends might want to pitch in and get one for you.

The things you absolutely should buy yourself are things that you are going to be super picky about. If you want "this one and no other"...those are the ones you buy.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#3New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 00:50:52
I do not know about these things but want to be helpful. I would say its safe to stock up on things like diapers and wipes and things you could never have too much of.

Can you register online for baby shower and do like cheap, mid price and expensive gifts you want and then shop for anything you do not get? but do like different prices for all budgets.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#4New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 02:12:18
Chick thread! Chick thread!
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#5New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 02:13:45
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Oh sorry. Woman Talk forum, Woman Talk forum.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#6New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 02:13:46
You should have waited on the crib. Of all the baby showers I've been to, I've seen crib given as a gift.

Make sure you make a list and register.

Wait for the playpen, strollers, car seats, diapers.

I would wait before buying unless you know you're not going to get anything big.

Another option is to get everything and ask everyone to donate money to kids college fund. If you do this, you can't touch it and the money is NOT yours but your childs. set up a proper plan, 529 plan or buy ibonds.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#7New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 05:25:26
@someone_else Said

Since you already have your furniture, I would wait until after the shower to see what you don't get. If you're registering somewhere (which I strongly suggest), go ahead and register for everything you want. Things like strollers are expensive, and you wouldn't want one person to buy them, but some of your friends might want to pitch in and get one for you.

The things you absolutely should buy yourself are things that you are going to be super picky about. If you want "this one and no other"...those are the ones you buy.

^^
This

The way you want the nursery decorated, those are the items that you can buy now...once you know the sex of the baby that is.

Sometimes your guests chip-in for a car seat or car seat/stroller set, so do wait until the shower before buying that, especially if you have an inkling that it will be bought for you.

If you see cute outfits that you just love, buy them. Yes, clothes are given as gifts for the shower, but certain outfits you just can't pass up.

Buy a packet or two of the different diaper sizes over the next few months to start stocking up. Believe me, you will go through TONS of diapers.

, Canada
#8New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 05:34:18
@Dark_Tink Said

^^
This

The way you want the nursery decorated, those are the items that you can buy now...once you know the sex of the baby that is.

Sometimes your guests chip-in for a car seat or car seat/stroller set, so do wait until the shower before buying that, especially if you have an inkling that it will be bought for you.

If you see cute outfits that you just love, buy them. Yes, clothes are given as gifts for the shower, but certain outfits you just can't pass up.

Buy a packet or two of the different diaper sizes over the next few months to start stocking up. Believe me, you will go through TONS of diapers.

Diapers come in sizes? I thought they had like premature baby, normal baby and pull ups for big boys and girls only. Holy crap, this baby stuff is over my head.

Carly's Mommy

#9New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:09:06
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Carly's Mommy

#10New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:15:26
@boobagins Said

You should have waited on the crib. Of all the baby showers I've been to, I've seen crib given as a gift.

Make sure you make a list and register.

Wait for the playpen, strollers, car seats, diapers.

I would wait before buying unless you know you're not going to get anything big.

Another option is to get everything and ask everyone to donate money to kids college fund. If you do this, you can't touch it and the money is NOT yours but your childs. set up a proper plan, 529 plan or buy ibonds.

I actually haven't ever seen a crib given as a gift. Or maybe all the baby showers I've been to I just don't remember.
Well, in a way, I'm glad I did get it because it was in the exact style and finish that I wanted.

The donations are a good idea, although knowing my family they'd want to buy me tons of stuff AND possibly also donate.
The baby does have a savings account set up already so donations would always be welcome.
Maybe I can do that for his/her first birthday? I mean, at one, they're not really going to remember it.

@Dark_Tink Said

^^
This

I was thinking about stocking up, but I'm not sure how many to buy in each size. I don't want to many and then have leftovers out the ass.
At BabiesRUs they have packs of 204 diapers in each size, is that good enough?

I definitely have to register though. I have a theme in mind for a boy, but nothing yet for a girl.
God, it's killing me that I don't know what it is yet!!
I'm hoping to get some sort of inkling tomorrow at my sonogram, but I know it's still really early.

@DorkySupergirl Said

Diapers come in sizes? I thought they had like premature baby, normal baby and pull ups for big boys and girls only. Holy crap, this baby stuff is over my head.

There are TONS of sizes
Preemie, newborn, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#11New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 13:30:54
@DorkySupergirl Said

Preemie, Newborn, Size 1-7, then the different varieties and sizes of the trainers and overnights. Then also to find the brand that you like(or best for your wallet) or the one that works best for your baby. https://diaper-sizes.org/

It's crazy the amount of things they have for babies.

After your first child, you realises that a lot of the stuff on the market, is never really needed, just a money making ploy for companies.

@Kristy69 Said

I was thinking about stocking up, but I'm not sure how many to buy in each size. I don't want to many and then have leftovers out the ass.
At BabiesRUs they have packs of 204 diapers in each size, is that good enough?

Oh yeah. That 204 pack is good to start for each size. You definitely don't want to buy too many before the baby is into each size, especially since diapers can be in a lot of the shower gifts. A baby can normally go through 10 diapers a day for the first few weeks. Then it's usually about 5-8 a day, sometimes more, depending on how many MESSY craps they have.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#12New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 15:06:46
@Dark_Tink Said

When my first baby was born, I was given an awesome present by my dad's best friend and his extended family (son and daughter-in-law). The daughter-in-law, who I barely knew, made me a diaper cake. It was the first time that I'd ever seen one and I've been dying to make one for someone ever since.

The "decorations" on mine were thinks like washcloths, pacifiers, teething rings, rattles...cheap baby things that almost everybody needs. I think there were 3 or 4 boxes of diapers included in it. It was awesome.
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#13New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 15:13:18
@someone_else Said

When my first baby was born, I was given an awesome present by my dad's best friend and his extended family (son and daughter-in-law). The daughter-in-law, who I barely knew, made me a diaper cake. It was the first time that I'd ever seen one and I've been dying to make one for someone ever since.

The "decorations" on mine were thinks like washcloths, pacifiers, teething rings, rattles...cheap baby things that almost everybody needs. I think there were 3 or 4 boxes of diapers included in it. It was awesome.

I have seen those a few times. Such an awesome idea! I'll probably make one like that for the next shower I go to.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#14New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 15:14:48
@Dark_Tink Said

I have seen those a few times. Such an awesome idea! I'll probably make one like that for the next shower I go to.

Tell them it's from me!!!!

, Canada
#15New Post! Mar 14, 2012 @ 16:28:39
@Kristy69 Said

There are TONS of sizes
Preemie, newborn, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

@Dark_Tink Said

Preemie, Newborn, Size 1-7, then the different varieties and sizes of the trainers and overnights. Then also to find the brand that you like(or best for your wallet) or the one that works best for your baby. https://diaper-sizes.org/

It's crazy the amount of things they have for babies.

I had no clue diapers came in all those sizes, other than the sizes I mentioned.

I do buy baby wipes(to remove tanning lotion) and when I go to the baby aisle, all that stuff scares me, there is too much of it.

Now Kristy, I am an expert with baby wipes so you ever need help with that one thing, I am your woman.

I prefer the Huggies, they are thicker, softer and stronger and get more off. Also, they have nice scents or unscented.

OMG, look at me, I know one thing about baby products. I so rock.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs