Religion

What's your Religion?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...14 15 16 · >>
mansio On December 26, 2010

France
#16New Post! Aug 09, 2005 @ 06:21:21
I think so. In the West we are more 'relax' about religion because we've had people like Voltaire, we have plenty of different religions around to compare with, and we consider religion as a strictly private matter. Most Muslim countries have one (very) dominant faith and religion pervades everyday life.
mosteverything On June 19, 2009

basically LA, California
#17New Post! Aug 09, 2005 @ 09:57:48
As I mentioned, being from America the perspective is different.

We have "Christian" activists here who are so strong in their convictions that they bomb abortion clinics because they believe it is wrong to "murder" a fetus, not taking into consideration all the additional lives (including the pregnant patients who still carry a FETUS) they are taking.

It is no more relaxed here when it comes to personal freedoms, the turnout for our last election was not about the presidency, it was about boys kissing!

I wish we were more relaxed about religion, I have no problem with a Christian not wanting to have an abortion or marry same sex, but I do have a problem with them telling me that I can't, and I've never even been inclined to do either. Personal propensity to do or not do something based on your faith is admirable, but to transcend that into obligating others to do the same is abominable.
redfury On August 22, 2005

Southampton, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Aug 09, 2005 @ 10:12:09
I'm agnostic. But i admire people for their faith, the most important thing with any religion is not about the religion itself but what it represents to the individual.
misscj On February 09, 2007

Anywhere I lay my hat, United
#19New Post! Aug 09, 2005 @ 16:10:00
For me every religion and science is trying to search for answers for who we are, a history and the future. Many religions have simularities and it is just down to how people interpret the words written. To me this tells me that each religion has some truth in it.
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#20New Post! Aug 09, 2005 @ 19:23:45
I do not like organized religion - it seems almost a condemnation of truth. There are many truths out there and many things that we cannot find the answers to. The point though is not to impede others from living happily. If one is sick, treat them, but do not imprison them if they are not hurting others and do not want help.

I myself am just a person not so much ocncerned with the truths that I cannot find the answers to as the truths that I can figure out. Religion plays a very small part in my truth, in these truths that I have found. Belief and faith, however, and in more than just "God," are very important. Not much else needs to be said here.
sal On November 29, 2007

Beirut, Lebanon
#21New Post! Aug 24, 2005 @ 11:43:57
im a muslim

i couldnt help but reply, mansio , about those islamic forums uve been on or tried finding answers from, well trust me, u will never ever find anything true about islam in such sites, cuz ppl in there MOST of the time dont know wat they r talking about. so if u really wona know anything about islam, u should check a real muslim (not those who r like islam on paper! there r alot of them, or those ppl who think they know wat they r talking about but wind up knowing nothing!
nikki_b On November 03, 2005

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Aug 24, 2005 @ 12:04:30
I'm a presbyterian. In essence a Christian but we don't follow the Catholic ways.
Robb On April 20, 2011

Deleted

#23New Post! Aug 24, 2005 @ 12:58:43
I am sort of an atheist, I believe in god but not in the way most people do. I'm thinking that he might be a visitor from outer space who modified our DNA when we were still in the form of a chimpanzee to give us that advantage and intelligence so we can grow to what we are today. So like when the bible says that god created life it's sort of true. I believe and many others too think that they are watching over us to see how we develop in technology etc, and how we live and behave. This will explain many things such as wonders of the world, why there were more sightings after major world events such as the two atomic bombs on Japan because they came to see what just happened.
vladimirm On April 13, 2007

Darlington, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Aug 24, 2005 @ 13:03:03
Im a Communist.
Sort of a replacement for religion

France
#25New Post! Aug 24, 2005 @ 16:55:36
Hello Sal

It's precisely because of what you denounce that I go on Islamic forums. If I would agree with them I wouldn't bother confronting them.
sal On November 29, 2007

Beirut, Lebanon
#26New Post! Aug 25, 2005 @ 16:17:58
ya but u cant base wat u think about a religion from these forums, many ppl follow a religion without knowing wat it is, basically only following it on papers(in their ID) or becuz their parents make them follow it!

France
#27New Post! Aug 25, 2005 @ 17:09:06
The people on those forums are Sunni Muslims, mostly fundamentalists.
I know a little bit about religions and I derive my opinions directly from the Quran.
tiniwiel_saz On November 06, 2007

Deleted

the Black Country, United King
#28New Post! Aug 25, 2005 @ 17:34:31
im pentecostal and always have been. my family though is anglican, mormon, baptist, methodist, catholic and pagan. the only problem i have with my religion is that i feel that many so called christians abuse the faith by bombing abortion clinics and charging extortionate prices for things like holy water (not just catholics) and even prayers. i think that this is the same in any religion and it takes away the dignity of the true followers and lessens the respect that nonbelievers may have for that religion.
sal On November 29, 2007

Beirut, Lebanon
#29New Post! Aug 25, 2005 @ 19:01:35
@mansio Said
The people on those forums are Sunni Muslims, mostly fundamentalists.
I know a little bit about religions and I derive my opinions directly from the Quran.

im a sunni muslim, and i dont think wat u read in these forums from some ppl r true i mean, some ppl just explain from their own u know!
ya well good then deriving it from Quran, but u gotta know one thing, that u cant always understand the meaning of the ayah or soura ur reading, sometimes u just dont. so u always gotta go check some books that explain the quran!
laterz

France
#30New Post! Aug 26, 2005 @ 06:54:45
Hello Sal

When I read something in the Quran that displeases some Muslims,I get the usual answer "You don't understand the Quran" or "the Quran is mistranslated".
To that I answer that God states in the Quran that it is revealed in clear Arabic for all to understand. It also says that a few verses are ambiguous (mutashâbihâh). That contradicts of course the first assertion.
As of the translations, they are made by Muslim and non-Muslim scholars who know Arabic much better than amateurs who decide a verse is mistranslated.
Besides, serious translations have plenty of notes that explain things and point out the ambiguous verses with the tafsîr from Muslim scholars.
Then there is the problem of the hadiths which supplement the Quran. That's another story.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...14 15 16 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs