Gender Issues

What people need to accept

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
MilesIsOkay On November 09, 2017

Fort Wright, Kentucky
#1New Post! Nov 09, 2017 @ 01:10:36
I think people should not make up a bunch of genders like genderfluid. But i do believe in the genders transgender and non binary. But we already have non binary, we don't need like 24 million more genders. But i believe in these genders becoming legal on a legal ID. But not transgender because they are trying to be a different gender, so the gender they're trying to be should be on their ID.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#2New Post! Nov 09, 2017 @ 04:11:09
Personally, I understand there being male, female and transgender. I don’t understand non binary. Since we are looking at the social construct, it wouldn’t be a bad idea putting on a state ID or Driver’s License. Having more than 3 or 4 genders is too much.
Justpassing On February 03, 2021

Avoca Vic Australia, Australia
#3New Post! Nov 10, 2017 @ 09:48:50
@Cpat92 Said

Personally, I understand there being male, female and transgender. I don’t understand non binary. Since we are looking at the social construct, it wouldn’t be a bad idea putting on a state ID or Driver’s License. Having more than 3 or 4 genders is too much.

Also known as Genderqueer - non binary is ' bit of this and a bit of that'
Can also include "none of the above" - genderless.

The Navajo probably had the best solution to gender - 4 genders being feminine woman, masculine woman, feminine man, masculine man.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Nov 10, 2017 @ 12:55:30
I think part of the problem is that a lot of people seem to be intent on making it someone else's responsibility to change their own perceptions based on how a transgender/non binary/genderqueer/whatever else feels about themselves. I think it's unreasonable for someone who looks like a man but really feels in his/her bones that he/she is a woman and identifies as such to expect me to somehow change everything about how I speak and all of natural history going back millions of years so that he/she doesn't have to hear me call he/she a he. Instead of hanging the responsibility on everyone who isn't me, if I feel like I'm something other than what I appear to be, maybe I shouldn't get incensed when I look like a man and am called a man and just understand once and for all that some people look like women and some people look like men.

Seeing this person on the street:

I'd think it was a girl. But biologically, that's a male.

Would it be unreasonable if this person just looked like this without any effort but didn't want to be identified as a female to get pissed off when people thought "female?" And demand that everyone in the world use "they/them" pronouns or double check to make sure if he/she is a male or female or feels like this or that before using any pronouns at all?

If someone doesn't think he or she is the gender he or she was biologically born into, okay...whatever...go be you and call yourself what you want and try your best to be happy. I mean that without an ounce of condescension or unfair judgement...seriously...I wish nothing but happiness on people in general. But trying to shame me for thinking someone who looks like a woman is a woman and calling that person a woman gets both of us nowhere.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Nov 10, 2017 @ 15:49:07
@MilesIsOkay Said

we don't need like 24 million more genders.

Hyperbole is fun.

But anyway...

I recently read that, scientifically, "there are a total of eight known sexes (X0, XX, XY, ZZ, ZW, WW, true Hermaphrodite, and asexual)", however there are "only three genders (male, female, and neuter)".

Of course there is a group that has come up with "63 genders"... but I'm pretty sure their assessment is a bit Tongue-in-cheek.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 10, 2017 @ 17:11:49
@Eaglebauer Said

I'd think it was a girl. But biologically, that's a male.

It..? Are you referring to that human being in the image, who you describe as an "it"..?

I know it's sometimes difficult for heteros to understand the more intricate aspects of non-conventional sexuality, but we're still human you know.

I'm sure you didn't intend any offence, Eagle and I understand the point you're trying to make, but imagine if you said that to somebody's face and they didn't know you as we do here.

Sensitivities can be very easily offended, mate.

Actually, I think she's kinda cute. Nice smile.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! Nov 10, 2017 @ 23:46:42
@Jennifer1984 Said

It..? Are you referring to that human being in the image, who you describe as an "it"..?

I know it's sometimes difficult for heteros to understand the more intricate aspects of non-conventional sexuality, but we're still human you know.

I'm sure you didn't intend any offence, Eagle and I understand the point you're trying to make, but imagine if you said that to somebody's face and they didn't know you as we do here.

Sensitivities can be very easily offended, mate.

Actually, I think she's kinda cute. Nice smile.

Did you miss Eagle's first paragraph? Or are you demonstrating that you don't agree?

I recently found out that I was being offensive to "a friend of a friend" (to put it simply) because I used the pronoun "she" instead of "they" - HOW THE f*** SHOULD I KNOW!?!!
I knew the person was somewhere in the new "spectrum" of genderism, but we never discussed it in detail.

And this could be generalized for a lot of things: Everything I say is not intended to be offensive, harm, humiliate, or otherwise demean someone or something - More often it is just the opposite, I try not choose my words carefully so as not to offend any living being within earshot.

BUT IT'S GETTING PRETTY TIRING TRYING TO AVOID OFFENDING THOSE THAT ARE LOOKING TO BE OFFENDED!!!!

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

puzZles On November 13, 2020

Inside my mind's mind, United
#10New Post! Nov 11, 2017 @ 05:53:00
@Jennifer1984 Said

It's very simple. Just treat them as a citizen, nothing more and nothing less.

If the ID says "Female", then treat them as a female. No need to look down the front of their trousers to see if they've got a willy. And even if they're still pre-op, ignore it anyway. She's a girl. End of.

As for travelling to another country, most transgender people who I know (and I know a number) are smart. They're quite capable of checking out whether there is any risk involved in them travelling to, say, Iran or Saudi Arabia. They're capable of assessing the potential danger for themselves.

As for criminal records crossing from one gender to another, you could use the case of Chelsea Manning as an example. I'm guessing the US Criminal Records Bureau has the facility to make a record of her previous gender in a way that those who need to use it in the course of their duties can understand.

Just treat people like people. Not freaks.

I'm pretty sure Eagle was making his point from the perspective of law enforcement; making arrests specifically. And thus, read between the lines from there, how unreasonable it is to expect the world to change to suit a few souls.
It seems to me it's your/them/their place, to adapt to the world around you as best you can. We are taught as children, whenever you have a problem, handle it yourself. In fact, that is fair.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#11New Post! Nov 11, 2017 @ 07:18:50
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#12New Post! Nov 11, 2017 @ 07:25:01
I do not see why a persons orientation is pertinent on ID. Biological Gender on ID.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#13New Post! Nov 11, 2017 @ 08:28:59
This whole thread is reminding me about a certain, let's call it quirk, of some of the Asian population. Living in Hawaii, you tend to see your fair share of Asians. Typically, most Asians look remarkably similar to each other in the sense that it can be rather difficult to differentiate between someone who is Vietnamese vs someone who is Chinese or Japanese or Korean or Filipino. Sure, there may be some subtle markers, but even other Asians don't always have the easiest time telling between them, which only gets more and more complicated once multiple ethnicities becomes a question. As one might expect, non-Asians are typically much more awful at telling between them. Now some Asians will take that little mix-up in stride, while others might not. Kind of like in this topic, where some transgendered people might take the mix-up in stride and some might not.

I get where other people are coming from when they say they didn't mean to offend the other person, but at the end of the day whether or not the other person is offended is their own reaction. We can argue about whether or not they SHOULD be offended but the fact remains that they are.

Now what does this mean for the person who inadvertently offended them? Only as much as they want to make out of it. So you inadvertently offended someone? So what? Yes, it happened. You can either learn from it or ignore it, as is your right. If you think that what they got mad over was stupid then you are free to think that. If you think it unfair because it was difficult to tell then that is your right also. If you wish to change based on that interaction then that is also your choice.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#15New Post! Nov 12, 2017 @ 06:29:58
Not sure if I may seem ignorant or whatever, but oh well. I recently read an article that Germany now has until the end of next year to either remove genders altogether or introduce a third gender option on all legal documents in which they were required (e.g. passport, identification cards, etc.). Some people claim they feel safe and won’t feel pressured to be binary. I say it’s decent, but I see a flaw in it. In this way, it may seem like they are pushing a change that may be unnecessary. Gender is a social construct and we tend to give it way more power than necessary. You may want people to be more open minded, but trying to correct people of how to speak is another thing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs