The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Local

What is the "Law of the Land" in other countries ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 15:12:01
IRL, A friend and I were talking about how little we know about other countries rights or freedoms.
Is there other countries that have something similar to our Bill of Rights and our Constitution ?
What started the discussion about this , was , I was telling her about how there seems to be some serious America bashing going on in some parts o the world and not necessarily in the middle East .
After I got back home I did some googling around looking for laws on rights or freedoms in other countries but soon enough was so bogged down and overwhelmed I thought maybe I could just ask and hopefully some people will be inclined to discuss their countries as energiticlly as some are willing to discuss America.
I have been in a thread / discussion on the difference between the way Great Britons 'constitution ' and Americas . But it was more about how the two constitution's are different in way the government uses what is written or in GB's case not written .
What I'm interested in is stuff like ,
Americans have the right to "The Freedom of Speech " do any other countries have laws on the books similar ? Other countries seem to more accepting of same sex marriage , but is it a right as in equal rights or is it that the majority of citizens more accepting .

It's not the politics , but, the similarities and differences in the "Law of The Land " from country to country that I am interested in THIS IS NOT A COUNTRY BASHING THREAD , . After all I think we can all agree that what ever country any one of us call home in our personal opinions that country is the best on to be in or from .
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 15:46:39
Bump...

Good post, but I think it's a little too broad for discussion.. Perhaps bring it down to one or two "rights" or "Laws"?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 15:49:23
Almost all democracies have freedom of speech central to their constitutions. In fact to even be called a democracy it needs to have a constitution which allows for freedom of speech.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#4New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 15:58:10
Maybe it would help if we list out our bill of rights and they and somebody does that with their country.

TAKEN FROM WIKIPEDIA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights

* First Amendment ? Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly; right to petition

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

* Second Amendment ? Militia (United States), Sovereign state, Right to keep and bear arms.

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. [5]

* Third Amendment ? Protection from quartering of troops.

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

* Fourth Amendment ? Protection from unreasonable search and seizure.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

* Fifth Amendment ? due process, double jeopardy, self-incrimination, eminent domain.

No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

* Sixth Amendment ? Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

* Seventh Amendment ? Civil trial by jury.

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

* Eighth Amendment ? Prohibition of excessive bail and cruel and unusual punishment.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

* Ninth Amendment ? Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Constitution.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

* Tenth Amendment ? Powers of States and people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Edited: December 09, 2010 @ 15:59

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:04:01
@boxerdc Said

Bump...

Good post, but I think it's a little too broad for discussion.. Perhaps bring it down to one or two "rights" or "Laws"?

I am hoping that by leaving it 'open ' that anyone inclined to have a real discussion on the similarities and differences between ours and theirs can see that i am looking for real insight and information and not trying to nit pick or negitive energy finger pointing ,,,
Does that make any sense ?

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:07:29
boobagins
Thanks , that is a good idea.
Kudos for you ! [smile]https://i.tfster.com/tfs/images/galleries/full_aa7480817256f333c44938398f0e76cd.gif"> and a high five .
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:11:30
Personally it annoys me when people make out the US is a shining beacon of what every country should be like or that America is the freeist (is that a word?) country in the World. Different things work in different countries and there's things I can do (or broadly, UK citizens can) that Americans can't, doesn't mean I'm more free than an American. No system is better than another and I find it offensive when some Americans try and lecture me on how perfect their country is, it really isn't.
Edited: December 09, 2010 @ 16:12
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:13:25
Ragghhhhhhh, I just wrote a lovely reply...then accidently hit the back button

Take 2

Freedon of speech is considered a Human Right, so all countries that sit on the UN has it in law (I think that is the case anyway, I know we do, and most other European countries - though there are cases where it doesn't apply - inciting racial hatred/violence for example.)

As for same sex marriage...it's a tough one. I think it is probably both, the law wouldn't work unless most people were accepting. The change in view has happened pretty quickly, like when my grandparents were my age it was utterly illegal. Being caught kissing someone of the same sex could land you in jail, more likely an insane asylum. We don't yet have 'marriage' just 'civil unions', but most people don't see the difference and just call it marriage, refer to each other as husband or wife.

Leading from that, we have Equality/Discrimination Bills, so you can't (legally) sack or refuse to serve someone based on gender, sexuality, race or religion...From some of the stories I've heard, you don't seem to have that?

As for a 'constitution' we don't have one written document, like you, I think it's just a mix of all our laws. I'm not sure though, I don't study Law or Politics.

Also, we have bishops holding seats in the House of Lords (part of parliament), who will have votes of laws. The Church of England can also submit legistration to be voted on in parliament. It's all getting a little bit political I think, but it's just to show the difference in how laws can be passed. I mean, going back to equality and gay marriage, you'd think a country where the church has so much influence it wouldn't happen, but it has

Deleted

#9New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:15:13
@SparklyKatie Said

Personally it annoys me <snip>

Wow... Way to totally go off on a tangent that is not only completely unrelated to this thread, but one that was specifically stated against in the OP..

You might want to actually read the entire OP and then rework your reply katie, as the OP specifically said that this was a thread to learn about the laws and rights of other countries, and not a "my country is better than yours" thread..

Just sayin.
\m//O_O\\m/

#10New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:17:16
@boxerdc Said

Wow... Way to totally go off on a tangent that is not only completely unrelated to this thread, but one that was specifically stated against in the OP..

You might want to actually read the entire OP and then rework your reply katie, as the OP specifically said that this was a thread to learn about the laws and rights of other countries, and not a "my country is better than yours" thread..

Just sayin.

I wasn't accusing anyone was I? Neither did I state any country is better than another, quite the contrary.

Deleted

#11New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:21:12
@SparklyKatie Said

Personally it annoys me when people make out the US is a shining beacon of what every country should be like or that America is the freeist (is that a word?) country in the World. Different things work in different countries and there's things I can do (or broadly, UK citizens can) that Americans can't, doesn't mean I'm more free than an American. No system is better than another and I find it offensive when some Americans try and lecture me on how perfect their country is, it really isn't.

@SparklyKatie Said

I wasn't accusing anyone was I? Neither did I state any country is better than another, quite the contrary.

Yeah.. actually you were accusing.. You were accusing americans of being "better than", and "freer", when in fact the OP was asking posters from other countries to elucidate on their own laws and rights in an effort to learn about different cultures freedoms.

So, rather than speak to your countries freedoms and rights, you jumped right in, and assumed that this was a "compare with america" thread.. when, it's actually a "compare and contrast with each other" thread.

Maybe next time someone from the UK will start it, so that you don't feel the need to jump in and be so defensive.
\m//O_O\\m/

#12New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:24:36
@boxerdc Said

Yeah.. actually you were accusing.. You were accusing americans of being "better than", and "freer", when in fact the OP was asking posters from other countries to elucidate on their own laws and rights in an effort to learn about different cultures freedoms.

So, rather than speak to your countries freedoms and rights, you jumped right in, and assumed that this was a "compare with america" thread.. when, it's actually a "compare and contrast with each other" thread.

Maybe next time someone from the UK will start it, so that you don't feel the need to jump in and be so defensive.

No, I said 'some' not all. Unless you're saying no Americans think what I stated? Sorry but I've seen it too often to not be affected by it.

OK here you go. Most Americans I interact with aren't like how I said in my above post, only some. Is that better?

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:26:18
@SparklyKatie Said

Damn the luck.
I tried to word my OP in such a way that this sort of responce wouldn't come about.
My apologies, I in no way meant to annoy anyone .
Thanks for your input.
\m//O_O\\m/

#14New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:31:02
@white_swan53 Said

Damn the luck.
I tried to word my OP in such a way that this sort of responce wouldn't come about.
My apologies, I in no way meant to annoy anyone .
Thanks for your input.

I in no way intended to make out anyone in this thread annoyed me and if I did I apologise, it's just when you hear (on here and other boards) that America is the land of the free and everywhere else should adopt their system it does twinge a nerve.

I'll back out of this thread now, sorry if I hijacked it that wasn't my intention.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#15New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:35:04
My country has the best laws -

Drugs are decriminalized for drug possession and personal use.

Prostitution is legal
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs