#4New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 12:49:23
Why is this in philosophy?

Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#5New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 13:26:50
@Eaglebauer Said

Why is this in philosophy?

Kingdom of heaven = Religion

Pretty much anything you can think of has a philosophy of some kind. There is even a philosophy of philosophy.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#6New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 14:31:02
Lots of Pancakes and Waffles
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 14:53:48
@Erimitus Said

Pretty much anything you can think of has a philosophy of some kind. There is even a philosophy of philosophy.

Not really though...

What is the philosophy of "roofing nail?"

You can say that there are philosophical quandaries involved in our concept of roofing nails and what makes a roofing nail a roofing nail, but those are really questions of epistemology and metaphysics that include "roofing nail" as a completely changeable variable.
chaski On about 18 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#8New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 15:47:52
@Eaglebauer Said

What is the philosophy of "roofing nail?.

Stand up and take your knocks...

Or

In life is it better to be the hammer, the roofing nail or the roof?

😎
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 15:52:10
@chaski Said

Stand up and take your knocks...

Or

In life is it better to be the hammer, the roofing nail or the roof?

😎

#10New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 18:14:11
Eagle: you can say that there are philosophical quandaries involved in our concept of roofing nails and what makes a roofing nail a roofing nail, but those are really questions of epistemology and metaphysics that include "roofing nail" as a completely changeable variable.

E: I do not understand.

Answering a Question with a question: Why is it that I am aware and a nail is not?

A Nail is not aware, it cannot have a philosophy.

(About-ness)

A carpenter may have a philosophy (about) nails in general or about a particular nail.

A philosophy about of a nail is an analysis of the concept of nails and fundamental beliefs (about) and value of nails.

A philosophy is not about testing nails. (That is science). A philosophy of nails is (about) the concept of nails.

I really do not have personal of philosophy of nails if I did it would be about the concept of nails.

#11New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 18:16:02
@Cpat92 Said

Lots of Pancakes and Waffles

Well yeah.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#12New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 18:33:03
I wonder if some nails wish to be other nails. Like, maybe a roofing nail does not like the extremes of weather it has to endure and would rather be a drywall nail.
Or a drywall nail does not want to be inside all the time....

Roofing nails are notoriously mean. They like to hide in the driveway and puncture tires.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#13New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 18:46:27
@Erimitus Said

Eagle: you can say that there are philosophical quandaries involved in our concept of roofing nails and what makes a roofing nail a roofing nail, but those are really questions of epistemology and metaphysics that include "roofing nail" as a completely changeable variable.

E: I do not understand.

Answering a Question with a question: Why is it that I am aware and a nail is not?

A Nail is not aware, it cannot have a philosophy.

(About-ness)

A carpenter may have a philosophy (about) nails in general or about a particular nail.

A philosophy about of a nail is an analysis of the concept of nails and fundamental beliefs (about) and value of nails.

A philosophy is not about testing nails. (That is science). A philosophy of nails is (about) the concept of nails.

I really do not have personal of philosophy of nails if I did it would be about the concept of nails.

I was offering one of countless examples of things that do not have philosophies behind them...roofing nails can be included as a variable in a philosophical exploration of things like "nailness" or the concept of nails, but these questions are not about nails, they are about intrinsic valuation and conceptualization that would apply to anything...they can be equally applied to tables and "tableness"...trees and "treeness."

My point is that the philosophical question "what makes a nail a nail" is not actually about the nail, it's about our valuation of phenomena in general. It's the philosophy of metaphysics, and while it does get more granular into things like phenomena and noumena, and even further to things like Kantian "Ding an Sich" and other things that make our heads hurt, it's not the philosophy of roofing nails just because roofing nails are being used as the Guinea pig in the experiment.

Using lab rats to study cancer is the study of cancer, not of lab rats.

We're getting kind of off track here

I didn't mean to derail the thread and I'm really not trying to be a pedant. The question about why this was a philosophy thread was asked in earnest.

And the most important thing to take away from my rambling here is that I've compared philosophy to the study of cancer.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#14New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 18:46:53
@Erimitus Said

Well yeah.

And pancakeness.

gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#15New Post! Jan 10, 2018 @ 19:26:15
@Willi Said

What is a kingdom?

If I am a king.
I have my kingdom.
Who should I have in my kingdom?

A parliament is better with a figurehead but a figurehead doesn't have to have a parliament.

The bare essentials includes, an ensign, a people-group, authority to govern. I put ensigns in there as a way to include any and all symbols, branding, and messaging of the kingdom. You don't have to have your own bobblehead of the king but maybe at least a flag to distinguish between kingdoms.

My kingdom has to have land. I also want to trade. But if I can't trade then I need something what Michael Jackson had at Neverland but he had money so I still think trade or riches is important.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs