What is British Culture?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 10:25:46
Britain is a country of mixed cultures.
London has the largest non white population of any European city. People eat a variety of food and 250 languages are spoken.Different religous festivals such as Eid, Christmas, Divali and Chinese new year are all celebrated.
This goes to show that not all British people are either Christian or white.They do not think the same, nor should they be expected too.
A variety of dress is worn from being covered from head to toe, african dress, saris to mini skirts or people who are half naked even!
More people in London must now eat rice than potatoes, the Sunday roast has gone due to the people wanting shops to be open. The churches are normally half empty around the country on a Sunday, though in my area it is nice to see that they are usually full every week with non white people i may add, generally from the Caribean.
We eat a mix of foods from all corners of the world. WHAT IS BRITISH CULTURE to you?
karljkampovsky On May 13, 2009

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#2New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:04:33
Britain is one of my favorite contries in the world only second to Poland the home of my ancestors. Britain's colonialist history has resulted in blessings and many problems,in the modern era! But you (the UK)have handled both rather well! Unfortunatley racist bigotry exists in your country as well as in mine(US)! My favourite aspect of British culture is the English language,it (because of its immense vocabulary) has become a tool for me that I hope I use well at times! Many in my country have lost the ability to use this tool to its maximum advantage! Forgot to mention British Automobiles!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:14:00
I have seen british culture change a lot over the past 38 years, im sure my parents saw as much change as i did and im sure my kids will see the same too.

Its almost impossible to separate nostalgia from what we consider our culture. Nostalgia can be a dangerous tool.

Im quite happy to see how cosmopolitan we are now. Most people i know say that London is probably the most cosmopolitan city in the whole world. What happens in London spreads through the country eventually.

I dont care for the mentality that in accepting other cultures we will be losing the sunday roast and the football and pancake day. Its all about choice at the end of the day and that i am proud of.

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#4New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:36:24
I understand that curry is the #1 favorite dish in Britain!
That is fine with me,I love the stuff! Pakistani Murghi Kari Vindaloo is my fav.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:38:07
Yup, from the days of the British empire, when people came back to the UK they found they missed curry so much, even queen victoria bought her personal curry chef over from India. It kinda escalated from there.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:41:13
Curry
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:41:46
Anyways to me British culture is complaining about the weather and eating fish and chips. Lol
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:54:49
@treebee Said

I have seen british culture change a lot over the past 38 years, im sure my parents saw as much change as i did and im sure my kids will see the same too.

Its almost impossible to separate nostalgia from what we consider our culture. Nostalgia can be a dangerous tool.

Im quite happy to see how cosmopolitan we are now. Most people i know say that London is probably the most cosmopolitan city in the whole world. What happens in London spreads through the country eventually.

I dont care for the mentality that in accepting other cultures we will be losing the sunday roast and the football and pancake day. Its all about choice at the end of the day and that i am proud of.
Me too! If i want a Sunday roast there,s nothing to stop me having one! Its also educational for the kids when they get invited to an Indian wedding, eat at a Caribean restaurant, celebrate Chinese new year etc.
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 11:57:19
I think that Britain has never been really of one culture. We all desend from Romans, Anglo Saxon, Celtic and other races. I think British culture is simply a bit of everything in the world! I think this makes us rich and interesting. In America they split the races up into groups and sections and although we have that it is a lot more mixed. This is a good thing I think.

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#10New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 12:01:46
@x_Laura_x Said

Anyways to me British culture is complaining about the weather and eating fish and chips. Lol

Thats funny,but nowadays almost everyone complains about the weather!

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#11New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 12:04:08
@dumdedum Said

I think that Britain has never been really of one culture. We all desend from Romans, Anglo Saxon, Celtic and other races. I think British culture is simply a bit of everything in the world! I think this makes us rich and interesting. In America they split the races up into groups and sections and although we have that it is a lot more mixed. This is a good thing I think.

Bravo for Uk and Brava to you! You are not such a dumdedum after all!
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 12:45:21
@dumdedum Said

I agree. though there are some on this site who think everyone who lives here should adapt to the "British Culture"! I was confused to what that was which is why i started this thread!
This is part of what makes Britain today, Brighton is considered Athiest, there,s a big Sikh population in Kent.
73% of Bradford is Pakistani, Leicester has a large Indian population.
In Brent only 29% of the population are white British.
Black Caribeans are well represented in London, Birmingham, Manchester and other cities and towns. In many areas theres a slim chance of bumping into someone or standing next to someone from the same ethnic background or religion.
75% in some areas are non white, non Christian.
The 2nd biggest religion in Britain is Islam. Over 60,000 of these are white British. Many "immigrants" are now 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation.
57% of black caribean were born in Britain.
The muslim population dates back to the 18th century,Jews arrived in 1066, the Gypsies in the 16th Century.
Everything in Britain today from music & fashion to food & language has been shaped from different cultures and communities.
Black history month is in oct, Gay and Lesbian month is in Feb.
Ethnic food is part of the British diet. Sportsmen & women from minority backgrounds have contributed to Britains sporting success with many achieving world class or Olympic status. These races and cultures whether some may not like it or not, are what make Britain today. From the kebab shops to the greasy spoons, from Coronation St to Ainsley Harriot or Ken Hom!

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#13New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 12:58:37
I don't know if Brtain ever forced segregation on people of color or not. But I do know Britain abolished slavery long before it was abolished in this former colony! Kudos for that! Of course everyone knows that the US is multi ethnic multi racial as well! And I for one am very pleased that it is so!

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#14New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 13:07:57
@treebee Said

Yup, from the days of the British empire, when people came back to the UK they found they missed curry so much, even queen victoria bought her personal curry chef over from India. It kinda escalated from there.

It is a little difficult for me to picture Victoria sitting down to a dish of curry! But if it is so then let it be so! My Grandmother introduced me to curry she was from Boston her British ancestors arrived on these shores in 1721! She used to make curried soft boiled eggs,and toast for me! "Yummy Sounds"
Hinckleylad On October 08, 2009

Deleted

leicester, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Feb 21, 2009 @ 13:12:14
our history, our heritage, our industrious past, our aid to the world, our sense of fair play, our democracy, our freedoms, shame you cannot be proud of your own country!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs