The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

What if they had an election. And you votes didn't count?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Jan 19, 2013 @ 18:31:18
Latest Republican attempt to rig the presidential election.
"Imagine that when President Obama won Ohio in 2012, instead of getting all the state’s electoral votes, he only got six of them, while Mitt Romney, who lost, got 12 … that each candidate was awarded electoral votes based on how many congressional districts they won in the state. Now, imagine this didn’t happen just in Ohio, but also in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and other “blue states” that right now happen to have state governments completely controlled by Republicans.

This isn’t just some thought experiment. It’s the latest Republican scheme to rig America’s elections in their favor, and it could work."
People For the American Way email

So what are we to do? Have the "red states" that are completely controlled by democrats propose to do the same thing?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Jan 19, 2013 @ 19:15:12
That would require a change in the Constitution then.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#3New Post! Jan 19, 2013 @ 19:43:21
I really am beginning to like the thought of elections being decided by the popular vote. It would certainly increase voter turnout, and make everyone feel that their vote counts. Right now, a vote in Wyoming or Vermont counts about the same as three in California or Florida.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#4New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 03:14:33
all states the same is best.
FinchMeister On December 08, 2018
R8UpLittleTramps@ss

ReganNormanMinionluv,
#5New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 08:51:11
I always wondered. Do our votes even count?
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#6New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 09:35:54
@shinobinoz Said

Latest Republican attempt to rig the presidential election.
"Imagine that when President Obama won Ohio in 2012, instead of getting all the state’s electoral votes, he only got six of them, while Mitt Romney, who lost, got 12 … that each candidate was awarded electoral votes based on how many congressional districts they won in the state. Now, imagine this didn’t happen just in Ohio, but also in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and other “blue states” that right now happen to have state governments completely controlled by Republicans.

This isn’t just some thought experiment. It’s the latest Republican scheme to rig America’s elections in their favor, and it could work."
People For the American Way email

So what are we to do? Have the "red states" that are completely controlled by democrats propose to do the same thing?

https://news.yahoo.com/gop-eyes-election-laws-091622720--election.html Once again Bro.....you have beaten me to the punch! I would really like to know how you get in my head? But back on topic.......when I was sent this article, I didn't think much about it. That is, until a close friend of mine who just happens to be a somewhat moderate republican....told me that he was disgusted by the way it seems his party has sunk to new lows! I couldn't agree more. He has voted for Obama in the last two elections, and tells me....if the conservative republicans don't get their act and their priorities back to where they belong, which is with the American people, he won't be supporting or voting for them anymore!
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#7New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 09:37:15
@Leon Said

That would require a change in the Constitution then.

Really? Is that even a possibility? And if so......how & why?
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#8New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 12:10:00
@Spinkiegirl Said

The electoral college is an attempt to give smaller states more say in government, so they are not drowned out by the will of the larger states. And it works.. And it's helpful because our laws are not based on a democracy but rather a constitutional republic.

But in a general election, each vote counts as one vote... Except for the President. So everyone else is democratically elected but him.

That's where the problem is in my opinion.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 14:31:02
@Spinkiegirl Said

Yes, via an amandment, which requires approval by 2/3rds of all states.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 15:11:43
@Leon Said

Yes, via an amandment, which requires approval by 2/3rds of all states.

This is state changes which adversely affect the presidential election. No constitutional change needed.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 15:52:17
@shinobinoz Said

This is state changes which adversely affect the presidential election. No constitutional change needed.

Oh okay, well Maine and Nebraska already do it by district rather than employ a winner take all method. I wouldn't mind if all the states did it that way. It probably would be fairer, and closer to how the popular vote is.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 15:56:41
@boxer Said

The electoral college is an attempt to give smaller states more say in government, so they are not drowned out by the will of the larger states. And it works.. And it's helpful because our laws are not based on a democracy but rather a constitutional republic.

But in a general election, each vote counts as one vote... Except for the President. So everyone else is democratically elected but him.

That's where the problem is in my opinion.

That would be true if the number of electors from each state were not proportioned according to the number of House members, as it is now, but according to the number of Senate members instead. Now, smaller states have smaller number of electors. Big states like California have huge numbers.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#13New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 16:11:29
@Leon Said

That would be true if the number of electors from each state were not proportioned according to the number of House members, as it is now, but according to the number of Senate members instead. Now, smaller states have smaller number of electors. Big states like California have huge numbers.

Its proportioned by the number of house members AND senators.. So Vermont and Wyoming have three even though they only have one representative. This means that a vote there counts more than a vote in California.

Think about it.. 680,000 people get three votes and 6,800,000 people get eleven.. Smaller states votes count more.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 16:20:51
@boxer Said

Its proportioned by the number of house members AND senators.. So Vermont and Wyoming have three even though they only have one representative. This means that a vote there counts more than a vote in California.

Think about it.. 680,000 people get three votes and 6,800,000 people get eleven.. Smaller states votes count more.

Oh okay, I didn't realize it was by senate too, so that helps a little. But the bigger states still have a LOT more say than smaller states.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#15New Post! Jan 20, 2013 @ 16:32:08
@Leon Said

Oh okay, I didn't realize it was by senate too, so that helps a little. But the bigger states still have a LOT more say than smaller states.

Bigger states have more say, but individual votes in smaller states count more.

Doesn't it bother you that my nephew, who lives in Vermont has a vote that influences nearly three times as many electoral votes as yours?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs