Languages

What gender do letters have in Polish?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#2New Post! Jun 02, 2015 @ 02:11:35
@NNewt84 Said

I'm just curious, that's all. And by gender, of course, I mean grammatical gender, i.e. el/la in Spanish, le/la in French, der/die/das in German, that sort of thing, where a word is either masculine, feminine or neuter, and must be conjugated as such.

In particular, I would like to know the gender of the letters of the alphabet in the Polish language. Like most Slavic languages as well as Germanic languages, and unlike most Romance languages, Polish uses a third gender, known as the neuter. In Spanish, I'm pretty sure letters are feminine, but this is Polish we're talking about, and it's important to remember that what's feminine in one language could be masculine in another, and vice versa. A good example would be the German Brücke vs. Spanish puente; both words mean 'bridge', but the former is feminine and the latter is masculine, leading native speakers of each language to generally view bridges as either feminine or masculine. A more confusing example would be the German Mädchen, which is neuter despite meaning a female child (i.e. girl), so one would imagine the word for 'girl' in other languages is feminine.

But that tangent aside, it's also important to note that, like most Slavic languages, Polish does not make use of the article (a/an/the), so the gender of a word is usually determined by the ending alone, although that too can be changed by the case of the noun, i.e. nominative/genitive/dative/accusative etc.. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, I would like to know the gender of the letters of the alphabet.

And please, I would prefer a response from a native Polish speaker, or someone who has studied Polish long enough to fully understand the grammar of the language.

I always look to see if they have and inie or and outie
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#3New Post! Jun 02, 2015 @ 19:37:50
@NNewt84 Said

I'm just curious, that's all. And by gender, of course, I mean grammatical gender, i.e. el/la in Spanish, le/la in French, der/die/das in German, that sort of thing, where a word is either masculine, feminine or neuter, and must be conjugated as such.

In particular, I would like to know the gender of the letters of the alphabet in the Polish language. Like most Slavic languages as well as Germanic languages, and unlike most Romance languages, Polish uses a third gender, known as the neuter. In Spanish, I'm pretty sure letters are feminine, but this is Polish we're talking about, and it's important to remember that what's feminine in one language could be masculine in another, and vice versa. A good example would be the German Brücke vs. Spanish puente; both words mean 'bridge', but the former is feminine and the latter is masculine, leading native speakers of each language to generally view bridges as either feminine or masculine. A more confusing example would be the German Mädchen, which is neuter despite meaning a female child (i.e. girl), so one would imagine the word for 'girl' in other languages is feminine.

But the German Mädel, also girl, is feminine, just as sure as fraulein is neuter. These "feminine" words are transformed into a neuter gender by the addition of the diminutive suffix,....
@NNewt84 Said

But that tangent aside, it's also important to note that, like most Slavic languages, Polish does not make use of the article (a/an/the), so the gender of a word is usually determined by the ending alone, although that too can be changed by the case of the noun, i.e. nominative/genitive/dative/accusative etc.. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, I would like to know the gender of the letters of the alphabet.

You are claiming that the gender of a noun may be changed by its case... In Polish, the case-endings vary according to the gender of the noun, so your claim makes no sense.

@NNewt84 Said

And please, I would prefer a response from a native Polish speaker, or someone who has studied Polish long enough to fully understand the grammar of the language.

I have subjected myself to a 47-week course in Polish, and I don't recall ever discussing the gender of the individual letters, however, if you look up the word 'alfabet' in an English-Polish dictionary, you will see that it is defined as a masculine word meaning 'alphabet.'

Look for yourself.... See page 2 of the linked dictionary.
Part-time Nidologist

#5New Post! Jun 03, 2015 @ 17:39:23
Misunderstanding becomes easy, when one does not choose to use clear and precise expressions of thought... No harm done. It would have made more sense, to me, if you had said that the case endings could have been mistaken for gender indications, by anyone unfamiliar with the use of such case endings..... But, that is not what you had indicated:
Quote:
...the gender of a word is usually determined by the ending alone, although that too can be changed by the case of the noun.
Part-time Nidologist

#6New Post! Jun 03, 2015 @ 18:00:41
Returning to your original question,.... Since the Polish words 'głoska, litera, czcionka,' are all feminine, I would suppose that each of the individual letters is also feminine, thus contradicting my previous statement! How's them apples????
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs