The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

What equipment do the servants of God and Christ need?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 16:13:15
Paul wrote, under inspiration, at 2 Timothy 3:8 Now in the way that Jan?nes and Jam?bres resisted Moses, so these also go on resisting the truth, men completely corrupted in mind, disapproved as regards the faith. 9 Nevertheless, they will make no further progress, for their madness will be very plain to all, even as the [madness] of those [two men] became. 10 But you have closely followed my teaching, my course of life, my purpose, my faith, my long-suffering, my love, my endurance, 11 my persecutions, my sufferings, the sort of things that happened to me in Antioch, in I?co?ni?um, in Lys?tra, the sort of persecutions I have borne; and yet out of them all the Lord delivered me. 12 In fact, all those desiring to live with godly devotion in association with Christ Jesus will also be persecuted. 13 But wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse, misleading and being misled.
14 You, however, continue in the things that you learned and were persuaded to believe, knowing from what persons you learned them 15 and that from infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through the faith in connection with Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

An alternative, but agreeable rendition of those verses is found in the NKJV.

2 Timothy 3:8 And even as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also withstand the
truth. Men corrupted in mind, reprobate concerning the faith.
2 Timothy 3:9 But they shall proceed no further. For their folly shall be evident unto all men, as
theirs also came to be.
2 Timothy 3:10 But thou didst follow my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love,
patience,
2 Timothy 3:11 persecutions, sufferings. What things befell me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra;
what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me.
2 Timothy 3:12 Yea, and all that would live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and impostors shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived.
2 Timothy 3:14 But abide thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them.
2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a babe thou hast known the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2 Timothy 3:16 Every scripture inspired of God [is] also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness.
2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.

Paul here refers to scripture in two sense. First as the tool needed for Godly purposes, and secondly as the foundation on which Timothy had built his knowledge of God and His purposes

According to that, all the "man of God" needs to be "fully equipped" is scripture, and obviously an understanding of that. Not the word of man, unless it can demonstrate full agreement with scripture.

That is why I rely purely on God's word, the bible, as the final arbiter of all things.
Bukwis On February 05, 2013

Port Edward, Canada
#2New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 16:20:38
Shovels to clean up all the crap they're throwing around.

tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 16:41:20
Unfortunately, though told of his error so many times, the Biker still seeks to use scripture to prove his own take of scripture, a purely circular device that in fact proves nothing.

Another point:- given the time of composition, the words "scripture" and "holy writings" refer to the OT, as the NT did not then exist.

The "things that you have learned" would therefore be not only snippets of words and writings available at that time, but the word of mouth of various early Christians, inspired by the reality of the Risen Christ as they understood Him. So it is today. each mush judge who speaks of Christ.

So again, what "equipment" is needed is the Grace of the Word as Person, not a text, the pure gift of a love that has been given, never earned, given by the Divine, not assumed to be our own because we have studied anything. For the Divine can be known by love, but by thought never.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 17:49:46
@MadCornishBiker Said

That is why I rely purely on God's word, the bible, as the final arbiter of all things.

Biker, though I recognise your sincerity, and do not question where you consider your heart to be, your every post demonstrates that it is the parameters set by your OWN understanding that is the final arbiter of all things for you.

You argue that only those who have the benefit of a copy of a book - and even argue that it must be a particular translation to understand it correctly - can "know" God truly. All those who lived before such a book was available were therefore denied full truth.

You argue that only those of your own views and creed have true love, have open and honest hearts.

You have implied, in your attacks against all who disagree with you - the "apostates" - that only those who agree with you can have a "spiritual experience".

All this is the mark of a human being close to bigotry, not the mark of a man close to God. You seem unable to distinguish between God's truth and your own words. Biker, from my own perspective you are making yourself blind.

To look back through history, it is apparent to those with eyes to see that the "spiritual" has been fully known to every human heart that has loved, simply because the Grace of the Divine is eternal, the love of the Divine is eternal. You reject this, reject it in favour of the exclusive claims and opinions of your own creed, that God favours you and you alone with "His" truth.

Open your heart Biker. You will lose nothing in doing so.

Banned

#5New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 18:04:27
@tariki Said

Biker, though I recognise your sincerity, and do not question where you consider your heart to be, your every post demonstrates that it is the parameters set by your OWN understanding that is the final arbiter of all things for you.

You argue that only those who have the benefit of a copy of a book - and even argue that it must be a particular translation to understand it correctly - can "know" God truly. All before such a book was available were therefore denied full truth.

You argue that only those of your own views and creed have true love, have open and honest hearts.

You have implied, in your attacks against all who disagree with you - the "apostates" - that only those who agree with you can have a "spiritual experience".

All this is the mark of a Bigot, not a man of God. You are unable to distinguish between God's truth and your own words. Biker, you are making yourself blind.

To look back through history, it is apparent to those with eyes to see that the "spiritual" has been fully known to every human heart that has loved, simply because the Grace of the Divine is eternal, the love of the Divine is eternal. You reject this, reject it in favour of the exclusive claims and opinions of your own creed, that God favours you and you alone with "His" truth.

Open your heart Biker. You will lose nothing in doing so.

The bible makes it very clear that the bible is the final arbiter in all things spiritual. Jesus said that God's word was truth, and he didn't mean himself on that occasion. You only have to use a good reference bible to see how often he cited it, or quoted from it, and the same goes for the Apostles, and if it was good enough for them it is good enough for me.

I;m not entirely surprised you disagree with the assessments of Christ and the Apostles because the bible demonstrates just how wrong the teachings of your Apostate friends are. The bible also makes it very clear what an Apostate is, there is no room for interpretation or misunderstanding.

Have I ever said that god favours me alone with it? Of course not, there are well over 7,000,000 others around the globe who believe as I do. I know that isn't a lot, compared to those on Satan's side of things, but then that too fits in with Jesus prophecy, so whilst that is not proof it is certainly an indication that they are in with a chance. Even as a child I could recognise the obviousness of that, and when I ceased my Atheistic period it was still one of the criteria I used. Not teaching the trinity was the other main one because again even as a child of 8, I could see how that simply didn't fit. Maybe that is why Jesus says we have to become as babes?

I have never argued that it should be a particular translation, as you really do well know, in fact you also know I encourage the use of multiple translations. The same things can be proven from most, even the NKJV (21st century) which is why, as you know I sometimes use that one, and have quoted from it one here.

Open my heart? to Satan? Not a chance. It was, and is open to God and Christ, but never will it be to Satan's brood. I have been too close to them for comfort once and never will again.
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#6New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 18:40:22
@MadCornishBiker Said

Open my heart? to Satan? Not a chance. It was, and is open to God and Christ, but never will it be to Satan's brood. I have been too close to them for comfort once and never will again.

You spend way too much energy running away from Satan. Maybe if you finally faced him you could conquer your fear of him.

Banned

#7New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 18:52:04
@futilevoice Said

You spend way too much energy running away from Satan. Maybe if you finally faced him you could conquer your fear of him.

Saying that just reveals your lack of knowledtge of his power. There is one bible account when Daniel was waiting for an angel to come to his aid, but the angel was delayed for a fortnight by one of Satan's demons. If they can hold an angel on God's work up for two weeks what could they do to us given the opportunity?

Daniel 10:12-14 "And he went on to say to me: “Do not be afraid, O Daniel, for from the first day that you gave your heart to understanding and humbling yourself before your God your words have been heard, and I myself have come because of your words. 13 But the prince of the royal realm of Persia was standing in opposition to me for twenty-one days, and, look! Mi?cha?el, one of the foremost princes, came to help me; and I, for my part, remained there beside the kings of Persia. 14 And I have come to cause you to discern what will befall your people in the final part of the days, because it is a vision yet for the days [to come].”"

Since no human could have delayed an angel like that the "Prince of Persia" must have been a demon who had charge of the Persian Kingdom. Yet more evidence of Satan's power over this world. So powerful was this demon that the angel had to wait for Michael the Archangel to come to his aid.

I don't have any fear of Satan, I don't need to as long as I am on God's side, and He on mine. I have faced him many times, or more likely one of his demons, and could tell you stories you would not believe, so there would be no point.

However if I were to deliberately put myself in his path the protection just might not be there, and I know only too well just how powerful he can be. No-one can stand up to him without God's help and protection, which is why God helps all those who call out to him with honest and open hearts.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 19:16:22
@MadCornishBiker Said

The bible makes it very clear that the bible is the final arbiter in all things spiritual. Jesus said that God's word was truth, and he didn't mean himself on that occasion. You only have to use a good reference bible to see how often he cited it, or quoted from it, and the same goes for the Apostles, and if it was good enough for them it is good enough for me.

I;m not entirely surprised you disagree with the assessments of Christ and the Apostles because the bible demonstrates just how wrong the teachings of your Apostate friends are. The bible also makes it very clear what an Apostate is, there is no room for interpretation or misunderstanding.

Have I ever said that god favours me alone with it? Of course not, there are well over 7,000,000 others around the globe who believe as I do. I know that isn't a lot, compared to those on Satan's side of things, but then that too fits in with Jesus prophecy, so whilst that is not proof it is certainly an indication that they are in with a chance. Even as a child I could recognise the obviousness of that, and when I ceased my Atheistic period it was still one of the criteria I used. Not teaching the trinity was the other main one because again even as a child of 8, I could see how that simply didn't fit. Maybe that is why Jesus says we have to become as babes?

I have never argued that it should be a particular translation, as you really do well know, in fact you also know I encourage the use of multiple translations. The same things can be proven from most, even the NKJV (21st century) which is why, as you know I sometimes use that one, and have quoted from it one here.

Good grief Biker, have you no comprehension?

"The bible makes it very clear that the bible is the final arbiter in all things spiritual".

Well, of course it does, according to your own circular reasoning! Again you avoid confronting my core argument, as you avoid any confrontation with anything at all that would open your heart.

I have stated any number of times how Christ's "assessment" of the OT is the basis of a any true assessment of the New - again, you forget or do not understand of choose to ignore it.

"Have I ever said that god favours me alone with it? Of course not, there are well over 7,000,000 others around the globe who believe as I do."

Good grief! You as good as say it yourself in denying it!

Sad, very sad.

futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#9New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 19:42:38
@MadCornishBiker Said

I don't have any fear of Satan, I don't need to as long as I am on God's side, and He on mine. I have faced him many times, or more likely one of his demons, and could tell you stories you would not believe, so there would be no point.

However if I were to deliberately put myself in his path the protection just might not be there, and I know only too well just how powerful he can be. No-one can stand up to him without God's help and protection, which is why God helps all those who call out to him with honest and open hearts.

Are you telling me you have actually seen demons?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#10New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 19:44:38
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Banned

#11New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 19:55:12
@futilevoice Said

Are you telling me you have actually seen demons?

Since demons are invisible, that would hardly be likely, but I have seen, felt and experienced their effects, and believe me it was unmistakable. There is no other possible explanation. However I don't expect you to understand, I wouldn't have understood if I hadn't been there.

Banned

#12New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 19:56:16
@Willi Said

"Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Yup that's the level of it, and believe me it really does work. Been there, done that, unfortunately there wasn't a T shirt.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#13New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 20:01:10
@MadCornishBiker Said

Yup that's the level of it, and believe me it really does work. Been there, done that, unfortunately there wasn't a T shirt.

manmade armor

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 20:43:47
@MadCornishBiker Said

Since demons are invisible, that would hardly be likely, but I have seen, felt and experienced their effects, and believe me it was unmistakable. There is no other possible explanation. However I don't expect you to understand, I wouldn't have understood if I hadn't been there.

Go for it Biker!

Banned

#15New Post! Oct 18, 2011 @ 20:49:45
@tariki Said

Go for it Biker!

Lol tariki, you know so much less than you think, and I pity you.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs