The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

What does the Republican Party stand for?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...27 28 29 30 31 ...38 39 40 · >>
Estevanico On September 15, 2021

Tustin, California
#421New Post! Sep 08, 2021 @ 18:49:34
@chaski Said

Apparently: City Academy in St. Paul, Minn., became the nation's first publicly funded, privately run charter school when it opened its doors in 1992.

I talked to Milo at the City Academy. She participated in the school's founding. Their goal was to "Serve the Underserved." “Students and faculty had to be volunteers. No one could be assigned.”

I asked her where they found the idea for the school. She said they considered being a contract school, which is a "publicly funded school operated by an independent group of teachers and administrators under a contract with a public agency." They decided that they wanted to be completely independent … maybe call it autonomous, so they invented the idea of Charter Schools.

She said she had not heard of the Basic School in Arizona, which on paper must have been (maybe still is) a contract school because it was not autonomous from the school district. However, my source says that it was de facto autonomous.
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#422New Post! Sep 08, 2021 @ 19:14:47
@Estevanico Said

I've met lots of Republicans, mostly in Arizona, who bemoan the lack of prayer by public school students.

I don't know how often students pray. I do know that my high school had, probably still does, a Christian club. They had a prayer service every morning at the flagpole before school.

We also had a lot of Buddhists (from Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia) and Muslims (from Egypt, Iran, Pakistan.) And many of the line men on the football team were Polynesian.

We also had a sophomore geography course, in which the students study different cultures, including religion.

Those Arizona bemoaners drive me nuts. Sometimes I travel to Arizona for work and can barely get a good night's rest for all the bemoaning. Sound like a buncha cats in heat.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#423New Post! Sep 08, 2021 @ 19:23:39
@Estevanico Said

the Basic School in Arizona, which on paper must have been (maybe still is) a contract school because it was not autonomous from the school district. However, my source says that it was de facto autonomous.

From what appears to be their website:

"Upon relocating to Arizona from her native Czech Republic, Olga Block was determined to find a great school for her daughter Petra. Having served as Dean of Students at the University of Prague, she was accustomed to the high academic standards typical of European schools. As a Professor of Economics at the University of Arizona, her husband, Michael Block, was also familiar with the disparity between U.S. academic standards and those of European and Asian educational systems. Searching for a school that measured up, they recognized a great need.

In 1998, the Blocks opened BASIS Tucson, where 58 middle-school students became the first class at the first BASIS Charter School....

...Confident that this transformative model could be replicated, the Blocks opened BASIS Scottsdale in 2003. Soon our schools were earning international recognition, as they began a legacy of topping national rankings, being named #1 among America’s Best High Schools, by Newsweek, and #1 Best High School, by U.S. News & World Report."

etc
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#424New Post! Sep 08, 2021 @ 20:04:09
So YES - repugnants would be interested in charter schools if it means taking public money for their private companies.

Tustin, California
#425New Post! Sep 08, 2021 @ 20:10:56
So I looked to see if the Basic School in Mesa, AZ still exists.

According to the website, it has grown to four campuses.

The official name is Franklin Elementary schools. That was the original name in 1980 (or maybe 1979), but back then everyone called it the Basic School or the Traditional School.

https://www.mpsaz.org/franklin/

Tustin, California
#426New Post! Sep 08, 2021 @ 20:15:44
@Na Said

Those Arizona bemoaners drive me nuts. Sometimes I travel to Arizona for work and can barely get a good night's rest for all the bemoaning. Sound like a buncha cats in heat.

Arizona still thinks its the Wild West.
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#427New Post! Sep 08, 2021 @ 20:37:29
@Estevanico Said

Arizona still thinks its the Wild West.

Not only that but they think that they’re a giant glass of peach tea. And a magazine! And the name of a little girl

Tustin, California
#428New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 00:41:38
Speaking of bemoaning ...

The Californians for Equal Rights foundation filed a lawsuit arguing that the state’s new ethnic studies curriculum violates the the state constitution. The lawsuit calls for the state to withdraw a purported Aztec prayer from the curriculum.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/san-diego-lawsuit-claims-californias-ethnic-studies-curriculum-promotes-aztec-gods/2021/09/08/c1e90bd4-10c6-11ec-baca-86b144fc8a2d_story.html
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#429New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 04:40:35
@Estevanico Said

Speaking of bemoaning ...

The Californians for Equal Rights foundation filed a lawsuit arguing that the state’s new ethnic studies curriculum violates the the state constitution. The lawsuit calls for the state to withdraw a purported Aztec prayer from the curriculum.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/san-diego-lawsuit-claims-californias-ethnic-studies-curriculum-promotes-aztec-gods/2021/09/08/c1e90bd4-10c6-11ec-baca-86b144fc8a2d_story.html

I knew they were good at maths and had a reputation for rolling peoples head down the bumpy pyramids. Not aware of the Aztec prayer. I guess we’ll figure it out or somebody

Tustin, California
#430New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 12:52:52
@Na Said

I knew they were good at maths and had a reputation for rolling peoples head down the bumpy pyramids. Not aware of the Aztec prayer. I guess we’ll figure it out or somebody

Turns out that no Aztec ever recited the prayer. An employee of the California Department of Education wrote the prayer according to the plantiff's lawyer.

Tustin, California
#431New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 13:31:53
About the Administrative State

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issued 27 CFR 447.61, which is an example of a regulation, . That means, if I understand properly, Congress did not debate this law, unelected government officials made this law.

Any person who willfully: Imports articles on the U.S. Munitions Import List without a permit; Engages in the business of importing articles on the U.S. Munitions Import List without registering under this part; or Otherwise violates any provisions of this part; Shall upon conviction be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

I don't know what court, maybe Federal Court. A million dollar fine being made law by bureaucrats seems a bit scary.

https://regulations.atf.gov/447-61/2018-27763#447-61

Tustin, California
#432New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 14:21:08
Possible gateway to the Aministrative State

https://www.govinfo.gov/app/collection/cfr/
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#433New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 17:15:04
@Estevanico Said

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issued 27 CFR 447.61, which is an example of a regulation, . That means, if I understand properly, Congress did not debate this law, unelected government officials made this law.

You do not understand it correctly.

You are confusing the laws passed by the Legislative branch with the regulations used by the executive branch to enforce the laws passed by the legislative branch.

If you actually read Title 27, you will notice that all of it is dependent upon very specific acts passed by Congress.

Tustin, California
#434New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 18:04:13
Possible history of Charter schools.

The idea may have begun with teachers like Milo at the City Academy in Minnestoa... rather bizarre considering how teacher's unions oppose the idea.

"The original concept of the “сharter school” first originated in the 1970s by a New England educator by the name of Ray Budde. His idea was for groups of teachers to set up contracts or “charters” with their local school board to discover new approaches and ideas in the field of education. Its roots lie in the progressive idea that by empowering the educators with additional freedoms they can achieve a much higher rate of student success."

"The Charter movement remained relatively small through the 1970s up until the 1980s when former president of the American Federation for Teachers, Albert Shanker was recognized for helping to push the Charter school concept even further along. With his support, schools began to develop a test of “schools within schools” programs or “charters” in Philadelphia. When the results of these schools proved successful other districts began to start experimenting with this new method of education.

https://www.incharters.org/history.php
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#435New Post! Sep 09, 2021 @ 18:13:55
@Estevanico Said

About the Administrative State

Any person who willfully: Imports articles on the U.S. Munitions Import List without a permit; Engages in the business of importing articles on the U.S. Munitions Import List without registering under this part; or Otherwise violates any provisions of this part; Shall upon conviction be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.

I don't know what court, maybe Federal Court. A million dollar fine being made law by bureaucrats seems a bit scary.

https://regulations.atf.gov/447-61/2018-27763#447-61

Title 27 US Code

* 27 U.S.C. ch. 1 General Provision
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 2 The National Prohibition Act, known informally as the Volstead Act… >>passed by Congress<<
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 2A The Cullen–Harrison Act…. >>>passed by Congress <<<
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 3 omitted
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 4 The Increased Penalties Act… >>>passed by Congress<<<
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 5 repeal of Prohibition, the 21st Amendment… >>>passed by Congress<<<
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 6—Transportation in Interstate Commerce… basically states the responsibilities lie with the states
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 7 Liquor Law Repeal and Enforcement Act… >>>passed by Congress<<<
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 8—Federal Alcohol Administration Act… >>>passed by Congress<<<
* 27 U.S.C. ch. 9—Liquor Enforcement Act of 1936… >>>passed by Congress<<<
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...27 28 29 30 31 ...38 39 40 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs