Mental Health

What does normal feel like?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
lisajones On December 31, 2009

Woodbridge, Virginia
#1New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 03:56:54
Anyone want to try and explain how normal people are supposed to feel normal? I've had bi-polar disorder for years & don't use meds. Never found any that would consistently work, even after dosages were increased or 2-3 drugs were prescribed together. My last doctor said not to try any more meds since I've mostly handled the illness on my own for over 30 years.

But I still don't understand what normal is supposed to be.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#2New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 04:01:57
Normal is dull... be happy that you aint normal
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#3New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 04:05:50
Do any of us really?

I mean, we are only our own 'individual' only...never entering into another's mental world, to 'compare' their reality, vs. ours..
So who's to say really?

The fact that you know soemthing is not quite 'right' is something different all together, and the fact that you are aware would be thougt 'normal' in my views.
And that you have taken steps to help your situation.

But 'normal', is a complex word in my opinion...
it varies with different people I would think, as normal exists in each of our own minds as we perceive it.
backseatcynic On January 19, 2010

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#4New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 04:18:04
I don't believe in normal. All men are varying degrees of crazy, and I don't get women at all.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#5New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 04:21:03
@backseatcynic Said
I don't believe in normal. All men are varying degrees of crazy, and I don't get women at all.

Well if were to get serious about it...
Normal couldn't apply to people as everyone is different...
I think, however that when people refer to someone as normal
they're speaking of,
a law abiding citizen, someone with a 9-5, someone with a degree of some sorts (maybe that's iffy) someone with 1-3 kids a wife maybe a dog. you know... dull.

joking... kinda
lisajones On December 31, 2009

Woodbridge, Virginia
#6New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 04:23:03
I guess "normal" isn't something you feel yourself, but a way of understanding when other people are acting different to what you think would be normal.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#7New Post! Sep 25, 2008 @ 04:30:52
@lisajones Said
I guess "normal" isn't something you feel yourself, but a way of understanding when other people are acting different to what you think would be normal.

I would agree with that.
BrokenRose On May 03, 2009

Auckland, New Zealand
#8New Post! Oct 02, 2008 @ 06:51:55
Normal is how you define it. For you, living with bi polar is normal as it's what you've lived with for a long time. I don't really know what "normal" is supposed to feel like as for everyone it means a different thing. "Normal" doesn't have to mean "without mental illness"...it can mean "the common" or "the average" and for you, the average is different to someone elses.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 02, 2008 @ 07:20:26
I'm going to say something that some may possibly think I'm a little heartless for, but I am well aquainted with mental health problems, and I do have the right to speak of such matters.

Ever since I started using the internet as a medium of communication, every forum I go on, there's someone banging on about "Bi-polar"! Usually a teenager, usually female, always depressing and that is their only topic of talk.

Want to know what I think on the matter?

Bi-polar is nothing more than a combo of teenage "angst" and a neurotic personality. And that tag of Bi-polar is nothing more than a handy crutch and an excuse not to tackle the world on its own terms.

Either that or it's just another online attention device.

but "Bi-polar" or not, that person is going to have to tackle the world. Bi-polar is not a crutch that will protect them all their days, if indeed the condition is even a real one.

Heartless maybe, but I'll bet good money I'm not alone in my attitude, and stroking some one who is basically saying "poor-poor-pityful me" WILL NOT HELP THEM STAND UP AND LIVE.

The right reply to "Help me, I'm bi-polar" is in fact "shame. what do you think I can do about it? know any good bi-polar jokes?"
nakedchinchilla On October 27, 2008

kernersville, North Carolina
#10New Post! Oct 02, 2008 @ 07:26:22
i think that its a mental thing, not "teen angst"...

and normal is nothing to get excited about...i dont even know what normal is anymore and i dont have it...or atleast i dont think so
hairsplitter On March 04, 2009

long beach, California
#11New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 01:37:39
That is a good question ! To me it means that the more me and other people agree on things (thoughts, dreams, politics, education, etc.,etc.) and what they mean to us than for us that is normal.

When you hear someone say, "that is pretty farfetched.', that usually means less normal. If a few of us like anchovy pizza but a whole lot more people do not, then in that group we are not normal, but in our group we are normal.

Another way of saying it is that the more people agree than disagree than that is normal. That is why you have so many different likes and dislikes and those likes and dislikes is what makes you normal or not. As long as you do not hurt yourself or another human being, being you is normal.

I better stop now and get off my soapbox because I have a tendency to keep on and on. Just hang in there, you are not the only monkey on that tree.

"cada mente es un mundo." - "each minds is its' own world"
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 09:23:15
Question: What does normal feel like?

Answer: Sort of purplish green.
acidron On November 26, 2011

a wee country town, Canada
#13New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 04:30:14
I suppose normal should feel 'happy', and being happy with what you have. Doing things you love. Not too sure....I suffer from PTSD and have for 20 years. Sometimes I don't feel normal
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#14New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 04:34:34
Normal? What is normal? Just be you!
acidron On November 26, 2011

a wee country town, Canada
#15New Post! Oct 11, 2008 @ 04:35:43
@Wheezy_Knight Said

I'm going to say something that some may possibly think I'm a little heartless for, but I am well aquainted with mental health problems, and I do have the right to speak of such matters.

Ever since I started using the internet as a medium of communication, every forum I go on, there's someone banging on about "Bi-polar"! Usually a teenager, usually female, always depressing and that is their only topic of talk.

Want to know what I think on the matter?

Bi-polar is nothing more than a combo of teenage "angst" and a neurotic personality. And that tag of Bi-polar is nothing more than a handy crutch and an excuse not to tackle the world on its own terms.

Either that or it's just another online attention device.

but "Bi-polar" or not, that person is going to have to tackle the world. Bi-polar is not a crutch that will protect them all their days, if indeed the condition is even a real one.

Heartless maybe, but I'll bet good money I'm not alone in my attitude, and stroking some one who is basically saying "poor-poor-pityful me" WILL NOT HELP THEM STAND UP AND LIVE.

The right reply to "Help me, I'm bi-polar" is in fact "shame. what do you think I can do about it? know any good bi-polar jokes?"

I'd have to say 'really' heartless. My brother suffered from BP. He had 2 young boys of 4 and 6. They were his life. He suffered so terribly. In and out of the hospy. He took his life in 2004. He couldn't tackle the world. Screw your opinion. Have you ever lost someone, that you loved so much, that it hurt? Didn't think so
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs