The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

What do you British Think of Margaret Thatcher?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
svierge On January 24, 2011

minneapolis, Minnesota
#1New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 00:16:56
I just finished reading a comprehensive history of Britain, "The Story of Britain, A People's History," by author Roy Strong. It started back in the Roman days and ended in 2000.

I was just wondering, what do you folks there think of Margaret Thatcher now? What about Churchill? Heath? Wilson?

Your history is quite fascinating and it made me want to pack a bag and come for a good visit!
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 00:33:16
I need to read that, because I don't know much about British history. I'm not unpatriotic; I grew up in Barbados, so I did Caribbean history instead.

Anyway, I personally am not a huge fan of Maggie Thatcher. I partly blame her right to buy scheme for the lack of social housing in Britain. And let's not forget the highly unpopular poll tax! And once she said "There's no such thing as poverty" or something like that. Also, she's a Tory, so on principle, I can't like her
rider On September 28, 2009

Deleted

The first one, Australia
#3New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 01:21:29
Love her or Hate her,she was a Politician who really didn't give a s*** about what she was doing,other than what she could do to feather her own nest.
I think that sums it up
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#4New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 02:27:03
I don't know enough of er to give an opinion. I do know that great Ronald Reagan though highly of her.
svierge On January 24, 2011

minneapolis, Minnesota
#5New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 02:31:18
I was just wondering what the average person on the street in the UK thinks of her now. Has history been kind to her? I can recall what a rat Nixon had been and somehow he managed to clean up his image somehow before he kicked the bucket. Did Thatcher do that, too?
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#6New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 12:18:29
@svierge Said

I was just wondering what the average person on the street in the UK thinks of her now. Has history been kind to her? I can recall what a rat Nixon had been and somehow he managed to clean up his image somehow before he kicked the bucket. Did Thatcher do that, too?

I am not sure how you think Nixon cleaned up his image. Americans tend to forgive past Presidents but they do not forget their faults.
Jimmy Carter was probably the worst President of our time and he left office in shame. Over the years, he redeemed himself by his humanity efforts throughout the world, but that doesn't change the fact he was the worst President of all.
I think most Americans loved Margaret Thatcher. She was looked as someone with an iron fist, yet compassionate and thoughtful.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 12:20:57
@svierge Said

I just finished reading a comprehensive history of Britain, "The Story of Britain, A People's History," by author Roy Strong. It started back in the Roman days and ended in 2000.

I was just wondering, what do you folks there think of Margaret Thatcher now? What about Churchill? Heath? Wilson?

Your history is quite fascinating and it made me want to pack a bag and come for a good visit!

stay with me

Our history is so giant its practically impossible to know. Cannot bear Thatcher however take into account that i was a teen during her time in office.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 12:50:50
I can't remember her being PM because I was too young but most people in this area hate her and what she did. I know my dad says he will take a day off work and go dance at her funeral when it happens. (And a lot of people I know feel the same)
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#9New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 13:18:19
https://www.answers.com/topic/margaret-thatcher

There is a biography video worth watching. Maggie was great. Was the UK opposed because she was the first woman PM? Talk about double standards. We have to support Obama because he is the first black? I think Margaret Thatcher was mostly criticized for her conservative views.
Bloodshot On November 17, 2010

Deleted

in your mind, Mongolia
#10New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 13:31:19
@svierge Said

I was just wondering, what do you folks there think of Margaret Thatcher now?

You should ask a guy called Simon Weston!..Google his name.
DeepRed On March 07, 2010
Tripologist

Deleted

Michael Winner's basement, Uni
#11New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 13:40:13
Although i wasn't alive i know she made many a mistake and ended up being forced out of office.

As far as i'm concerned her best move was that she turned the UK to Labour for 16 years
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 13:41:03
@rocket48 Said

https://www.answers.com/topic/margaret-thatcher

There is a biography video worth watching. Maggie was great. Was the UK opposed because she was the first woman PM? Talk about double standards. We have to support Obama because he is the first black? I think Margaret Thatcher was mostly criticized for her conservative views.

No people started hating her when she took free milk off kids in school, privatised everything she could lay her hands on ignoring the thousands of people she put out of work and for making the poor poorer and the rich richer. Was nothing to do with her being a woman, more to do with her being a heartless b****
PhoenixNebula On February 25, 2010
TFS' village idiot.

Deleted
Banned

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 13:42:05
@SparklyKatie Said

No people started hating her when she took free milk off kids in school, privatised everything she could lay her hands on ignoring the thousands of people she put out of work and for making the poor poorer and the rich richer. Was nothing to do with her being a woman, more to do with her being a heartless b****
What she said!
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#14New Post! Jul 02, 2009 @ 20:36:48
What is it about Thatcher that so many people hate? I know the average British person either loves her or hates her with no middle ground, but as far as I can tell she didn't really do anything illegal or horrifying. Of course, I'm also not British and really only know she was England's 1st female PM. That's why I wonder, what is it about her that makes her so polarizing?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013