The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

What Will The Run Up To Christmas Involve For You...?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Dec 14, 2019 @ 20:10:06
Megan is holding court in her room tonight.

Amanda and I are sitting for a friend's two kids overnight. They're staying over at ours. We put camp beds up for them in Megan's room and it's quite clear that although they've been put down for the night, there isn't a lot of sleeping going on up there.

We decorated Meg's room for Christmas with strings of fairy lights and lots of chain deccies and things. She's even got her own little Christmas tree in there. They seem to think that the glow from the little lights doesn't show under the door. I should imagine there is a lot of talk about what they're expecting for Christmas.

We're cutting them some slack*. It's not a school day tomorrow and they're not being rowdy so we're figuring they'll run out of steam before long and be asleep fairly soon.

Little monsters. But we love 'em.

* Which has nothing to do with wanting to watch the final of Strictly Come Dancing undisturbed.

Honest.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#17New Post! Dec 14, 2019 @ 20:49:09
Work as much as possible on three hours sleep day during the week days to bat back phone, electric, rent and bail stuff out of pawn at the last second.

Had the price of cigs not shot up here to $21 USD a pack my partner and I would be well out of debt right now and useful contributors to society and our local economy.

But the guv wanted to play monkey in the middle with our smokes
We don't give in to bullies.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#18New Post! Dec 15, 2019 @ 02:33:20
Mine will mirror last year in a sense. It will consist of:

Work

Drive around town when I'm bored

Play video games

Start and/or finish reading a book.

Go to the gym a few times

Buy Christmas Gifts for the children (the parents may get theirs on a later date)

The only difference for me this year is:

Getting another tattoo (my fourth)

Visiting my friend's gym (he's a muay Thai coach)

Going to my job's Christmas Party
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 19:33:45
School Nativity Play safely negotiated this afternoon. Meg was a very good shepherd although I don't think acting is going to be her forte in life.

The school was very sensible in asking parents not to hold up mobile phones to video the event as it is very off putting for the children, some of whom may be a bit nervous, looking out at a sea of phones and knowing their every move is being filmed.

The school recorded an official video and the DVD will be available for just a couple of quid. A much more sensible option.

However, I would have liked to inform the father sitting in front of me that twenty children on a stage eight rows away, singing Once In Royal David's City, does not drown out the sound of a fart.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed out in public.
crusty_fart On May 27, 2022

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 23:33:32
Enjoy christmas period (not christmas day) with friends and family.

Actually work on christmas day, as co-worker has daughter and was working so I offered to swap shifts.

look forward to new role (and massive paybump) in new year.

get drunk.

be annoyed that the gym will be shut christmas eve and boxing day.

not planning any diets until new year, but then doing a month of veganuary followed by a month sugar free so I can get my diet back in check (currently too much sugar and unhealthy stuff).

get drunk
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Dec 24, 2019 @ 22:45:46
We've just snuck into Meg's bedroom and left her big sack of presents at the end of her bed. She's out for the count.

All the work to get ready for Christmas is now done. All the food prepared and ready for tomorrow. Everything is set.

My mum and dad arrived this afternoon. Amanda's mum and dad will be with us by mid morning tomorrow. They only have to drive along the coast from St Austell. Our little house will enjoy a well stocked table set for our family.

Right now I'm in the kitchen preparing a little supper for us all to have before we turn in for the night.

There is no more work left to do for tomorrow and I'm going to enjoy my supper, have a little nightcap with my wife and parents and then get some sleep. I reckon I might get five hours or so before Meg comes running into our bedroom and wakes me up with an excited "Mummy, he's been (meaning Father Christmas)," and I will have to get up and be with her while she opens all her presents and then play with her.

But I love it and wouldn't want things any other way.

I hope you all have a lovely Christmas with your family and loved ones. Because that's what it's all about. Being with those you love.

Best wishes to all TFS'ers..... even the ones I lock horns with on the message boards all year..... I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and find peace and happiness with those closest to you.

Bless you all.

Merry Christmas
Jenny, Amanda and Megan.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#22New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 01:58:15
Merry Christmas.
chaski On about 13 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#23New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 02:18:34
Jury duty... well actually I just got a pass until Thursday.
Darkman666 On March 27, 2024

Saint Louis, Missouri
#24New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 02:58:08
@chaski Said

Jury duty... well actually I just got a pass until Thursday.

chaski- don't said anything during part you are discussing the trail with your fellow juniors, if you do talk, you will definitely kick off the island!
chaski On about 13 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#25New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 04:17:53
@darkman666 Said

chaski- don't said anything during part you are discussing the trail with your fellow juniors, if you do talk, you will definitely kick off the island!

I've already made up my mind.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#26New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 05:28:38
I did so much last minute stuff, I didn't expect it.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#27New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 16:14:09
@chaski Said

I've already made up my mind.

no, chaski, I am not one of the juniors that you kick off the island.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#28New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 23:39:44
Ahhhh.....

Liquid, golden candy.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#29New Post! Dec 26, 2019 @ 01:08:01
It's nearly half past midnight on Boxing Day. Father and mother in law have gone home. My parents have gone to bed. Wife has fallen asleep in her armchair. She looks beautiful like that. Dammit... I love that woman.

And so it's all over for another year. That's it. For me, it started at just after 4 am this morning when Meg woke up and came bursting into our bedroom with a level of excitement that only a 6 year old can have at that time on Christmas morning.

We had a lovely day. Everything went brilliantly well. Somehow. Don't ask me how.

I'm the last one left awake now. It's quiet here and I'm looking at the tree in our lounge. I've not yet turned the lights off. I'm having one last brandy before I shake my wife and tell her to come to bed.

Why do we do it...? Why do we go so daft about Christmas every year...? Why do we spend a fortune, exhaust ourselves, get so totally stressed out and put in a level of effort and commitment that would make a manned expedition to Mars seem like a jolly in comparison...?

It's simple. We do it because it's there. A bit like why people feel a need to climb Mount Everest.

Today, I've been with my mum and dad. My mother and father in law. My wife and my daughter. These are the people who are closest in my life, and who I love more than life itself. We've eaten, we've drunk (a lot), we've shared gifts. We've talked, hugged, laughed, shared and just.....you know.... been together.

And that's priceless. You can't put a value on that. You can't cost it, or quantify it or rate it with marks out of ten , or a hundred or a million. It goes beyond that.

And so I'm the last one still awake today. The house is silent. The cats have been put out and all is still.

I'm happy in my life, I'm fulfilled and I couldn't wish for more.

Thank you, Christmas. Thank you for being what you are and for bringing my family together, just for this one day. Thank you for the blessing of my wife and my daughter and my parents. Thank you for that beautiful bracelet my wife gave me, and the look on my little girl's face this morning, like, really... this morning. I didn't even WANT to look at the time on the clock when she woke us up.

Thank you for Christmas lunch, that went on for three hours. For my dad's really terrible jokes and my father in law's ludicrous taste in Christmas sweaters. Thank you for my mother and my mother in law who somehow reach a pax vobiscum so that between us we survived three women in one kitchen (gravy..? Reagan and Gorbachev didn't eyeball each other like my mine and Amanda's mothers when we got to that point) to get it all on the table, on time and as close to perfection as makes no difference.

Your day is now over now, Christmas. It's done. Tomorrow we clean up, go out for a pub lunch and relax. We have friends coming round for drinks tomorrow night. More food to prepare but it's amazing what you can do with leftovers. My mother taught me well.

Our friends, Wendy and Linda are getting married in three weeks. We are going to the panto on Saturday and Amanda has to referee a women's rugby match on Sunday. Christmas is over. Life goes on.

But right now, I'm going to turn the lights on the tree off, drag wifey off to bed and get some sleep.

I hope you all had a lovely time and your Christmas was everything you wanted it to be. I hope you all had time with your loved ones and they brought you the greatest gift of all. Their love.

It's over for another year. Again, thank you Christmas.

Roll on this time next year. I can't wait.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#30New Post! Dec 26, 2019 @ 01:29:00
I heard that uk was going change boxing day to boxer day. all the women in parliament didn't want stand with old men in parliament with their boxers on only for annual Christmas cards picture to loyal employees during the holidays every year.

exactly, all the uk employees vote against parliament's Christmas card, they vote for happy hours during regular business hours in parliament during the holidays.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs