Politics

What Is Middle Class?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 04, 2009 @ 21:36:36
Middle Class is a phrase thrown around by politicians, sociologists and just generally by people, but I've started to wonder, what makes one middle class?

There are technical definitions, and that isn't what I'm looking for, I want peoples opinions on what middle class is. Are you middle class? If so what makes you so, if not, what makes you not?

What is middle class?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Oct 04, 2009 @ 21:43:34
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_class

The middle class are the broad group of people in contemporary society who fall socioeconomically between the working class and upper class. This socioeconomic class encompasses the sub-classes of lower middle, middle middle, and upper middle, and includes professionals, highly skilled workers, and management. As in all socioeconomic classes, the middle class is associated with a shared and complex set of cultural values.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 04, 2009 @ 21:46:41
@jonnythan Said

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_class

The middle class are the broad group of people in contemporary society who fall socioeconomically between the working class and upper class. This socioeconomic class encompasses the sub-classes of lower middle, middle middle, and upper middle, and includes professionals, highly skilled workers, and management. As in all socioeconomic classes, the middle class is associated with a shared and complex set of cultural values.

I suppose my problem is when is one no longer working class and becomes middle class. Where is the line?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Oct 04, 2009 @ 21:49:10
It's a fairly vague notion. There's no explicit official definition.

In other words, it would depend on the context and on who is doing the defining.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 04, 2009 @ 21:49:21
I used to think my family were middle class, based on my Father's profession and that I never really wanted for anything in many ways.

Then, in the last few years, I realised just how wrong my perception was and how my parents had done so much to give my sister and I a happy childhood (in the sense of wants and "I need..." ), the value of the area/house I grew up in and through meeting others from varying walks of life.

Cloaking perception is a clever thing me thinks
WeNowSix On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#6New Post! Oct 04, 2009 @ 23:40:39
I think that Jonnythan has it right. I might add that economists use income as a measure of middleclassness. They define middle class as having a median income. Probably Jonnythan is also correct that people associate some attitudes with middle class. One might find an example of this in The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. Tom Buchanan, a character in the novel, has not given up his middle-class view of life just because his family has become wealthy.

I volunteer at a public high school, which I would call middle class. The parents, who send their children to the school, have a wide range of entrepreneurial careers from painter and plumber to practicing physician. When I tutor students about dihedral angles in tetrahedrons or alliteration in elegiac poetry, I sometimes wonder if the student might grow up to be a Tom or Daisy Buchanan wannabe, who lives on their parents' money.
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#7New Post! Oct 05, 2009 @ 07:13:03
I think there's quite a difference between the working class and middle class. The working class have fewer time to spend for leisure, less money to spend on appliances, and a generally smaller home that's only made to serve it's purpose. The middle class have what the working class and upper class don't.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 05, 2009 @ 07:27:44
teachers and civil servants, but middle class is pretty different nowadays. I just think chris martin and gwyneth paltrow on a few less million.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Oct 05, 2009 @ 07:29:12
They have to work for a living but earn enough where they never have to 'need' anything.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs