What Is A Troll ?

AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 17 · >>
Raymondone888 On January 26, 2013
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#226New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 02:03:35
@deal1 Said

By the way, we have a limit of fifteen kudos a day...

Damnit, the smiley :1 (lower left corner) took me to "Demo slam"?...BS!

Thanks Deal. You are the real Deal.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#227New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 02:06:58
Your welcome
Tanglewire On March 31, 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
#228New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 02:10:19
@USA Said

What Is A Troll ? The term derives from "trolling", a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it ?
I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny ?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).

How can troll posts be recognised ?
No Imagination - Most are frighteningly obvious; sexist comments on nurses' groups, blasphemy on religious groups .. I kid you not.
Pedantic in the Extreme - Many trolls' preparation is so thorough, that while they waste time, they appear so ludicrous from the start that they elicit sympathetic mail - the danger is that once the group takes sides, the damage is done.
False Identity - Because they are cowards, trolls virtually never write over their own name, and often reveal their trolliness (and lack of imagination) in the chosen ID. As so many folk these days use false ID, this is not a strong indicator on its own !
Crossposting - Any post that is crossposted to several groups should be viewed as suspicious, particularly if unrelated or of opposing perspective. Why would someone do that ?
Off-topic posting - Often genuine errors, but, if from an 'outsider' they deserve matter-of-fact response; if genuine, a brief apposite response is simply netiquette; if it's a troll post, you have denied it its reward.
Repetition of a question or statement is either a troll - or a pedant; either way, treatment as a troll is effective.
Missing The Point - Trolls rarely answer a direct question - they cannot, if asked to justify their twaddle - so they develop a fine line in missing the point.
Thick or Sad - Trolls are usually sad, lonely folk, with few social skills; they rarely make what most people would consider intelligent conversation. However, they frequently have an obsession with their IQ and feel the need to tell everyone. This is so frequent, that it is diagnostic ! Somewhere on the web there must be an Intelligence Test for Trolls - rigged to always say "above 150"

This is really interesting, I never normally bother to read posts this long, but it's absolutely correct.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#229New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 14:18:32
It is an interesting take on trolls on this thread. I never gave them much thought, except to say that I was told on another forum when I was a "newb" to stop feeding the trolls, whatever that meant!!! I guess it meant to stop directing my comments towards them and stop responding to them. But sometimes I feel sorry for the trolls...it must be a lonely life!!!

Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#230New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 15:27:12
@BozieFozie Said

It is an interesting take on trolls on this thread. I never gave them much thought, except to say that I was told on another forum when I was a "newb" to stop feeding the trolls, whatever that meant!!! I guess it meant to stop directing my comments towards them and stop responding to them. But sometimes I feel sorry for the trolls...it must be a lonely life!!!

If their are any sad TROLLs out there, I am prepared to show them how to get a life. NO CHARGE.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#231New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 15:56:22
damn...I cant get my images to come up...
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#232New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 15:59:40
See my avatar...those are some ugly a** trolls!
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#233New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 16:06:03
@BozieFozie Said

@deal1 Said

I'll tell my two brothers you said that!!!!!!!!
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#234New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 16:11:57
NO! NOT YOUR BROTHERS!!!
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#235New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 16:40:53
@deal1 Said

@deal1 Said

NO! NOT YOUR BROTHERS!!!

Fraid so Deal, "It's bim bash wallop time for you"
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#236New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 16:47:58
@Raymondone888 Said

Fraid so Deal, "It's bim bash wallop time for you"

They'll have to get through my wife first!
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#237New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 16:51:26
@deal1 Said

NO! NOT YOUR BROTHERS!!!

@deal1 Said

They'll have to get through my wife first!

Ooooooooooowwwwwwwwww They've both just pooped their pants.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#238New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 17:20:38
Trolls can bring a little bit of life to a boring,repetitive forum so they are mostly ok in my book.

People always bang on about how much they dislike trolls but keep an eye on the thread view stats when there is a troll about.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#239New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 21:43:39
@Wellard Said

Trolls can bring a little bit of life to a boring,repetitive forum so they are mostly ok in my book.

People always bang on about how much they dislike trolls but keep an eye on the thread view stats when there is a troll about.

I actually collected them when I was in jr. high!!!!!

Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#240New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 22:51:49
@BozieFozie Said

I actually collected them when I was in jr. high!!!!!

WHICH ONE IS YOU BOZ?
Locked<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...14 15 16 17 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)