Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#61New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:23:02
@hoppy Said

Suicide is a final solution to a temporary problem.

There's nothing temporary about depression.
cisslybee2012 On January 30, 2013

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#62New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:28:01
@carelt1985 Said

Off and on, since I was 9, I thought life would be better if I was dead. Lately, I wrapped a belt around my neck. Whatcha think of committing suicide?

It isn't the way to go.

It's not the way to ease pain and suffering.

I too had suicidal thoughts when I was a teen.

But I found a way to cure my wounded spirit.

I really needed to know whether or not my mother loved me, and she did love me, but I didn't know it, and I had to force her to show it. And it turned out to be the right thing to do. Because when I knew for sure that she loved me, I felt okay and happy.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#63New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:29:36
@Grasshopper Said

There's nothing temporary about depression.

"Basic", "run of the mill depression" in laymen's terms, it is temporay. Manic depression, for example...now called Bi-Polar...not temporary, since it's a life long condition.

Through therapy and meds, or just therapy alone, that will help a lot of people to get out of their depression.

*Edit*
My dad, sister and brother are bi-polar. So was my paternal grandmother. Other members of my family(myself included) have gone through bouts of depression, so I do have first hand knowledge with depression of many forms.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#64New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:40:22
@Dark_Tink Said

"Basic", "run of the mill depression" in laymen's terms, it is temporay. Manic depression, for example...now called Bi-Polar...not temporary, since it's a life long condition.

Through therapy and meds, or just therapy alone, that will help a lot of people to get out of their depression.

*Edit*
My dad, sister and brother are bi-polar. So was my paternal grandmother. Other members of my family(myself included) have gone through bouts of depression, so I do have first hand knowledge with depression of many forms.

I know what you're saying. It's just that when people say that quote to suicidal people, it just seems like they're blowing them off. (Just how I see it)

Yes, I used to use that cute little saying to people who were suicidal. But then when things started to get worse for me, I found that I can't stand when people use that quote. It's almost like they're not truly listening and just throw it out there thinking the person is just clueless.

Yes it's diferent for everybody, but that's just how I see it.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#65New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:45:17
@Grasshopper Said

I know what you're saying. It's just that when people say that quote to suicidal people, it just seems like they're blowing them off. (Just how I see it)

Yes, I used to use that cute little saying to people who were suicidal. But then when things started to get worse for me, I found that I can't stand when people use that quote. It's almost like they're not truly listening and just throw it out there thinking the person is just clueless.

And you're right Grassy.

People are exactly as you see them.

They don't understand the hurt of others, but only their own hurt.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#66New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:51:50
@Grasshopper Said

Kudos,grassy. Every person that has depression or a mental illness is with the same diagnosis will behave differently because it affects everyone differently no matter the diagnosis or meds they're on. Until someone has walked in the exact same situation as the other they can't presume to say they understand because they don't.

I've just learned that one lately myself.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#67New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 01:59:11
@rosexthorn Said

Kudos,grassy. Every person that has depression or a mental illness is with the same diagnosis will behave differently because it affects everyone differently no matter the diagnosis or meds they're on. Until someone has walked in the exact same situation as the other they can't presume to say they understand because they don't.

I've just learned that one lately myself.

Depression is something we have all felt at some point in our lives, so people do understand it, many just basically don't care until it hits them personally.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#68New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 03:09:16
@Grasshopper Said

I agree. Unfortunately, cliches of pretty much any kind are not helpful for someone who is depressed to that extent. They are truly unable to see any chance of things being better in the future, or else they would not want to die. Best to help them find a reason to live.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#69New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 03:12:11
@cisslybee2012 Said

Depression is something we have all felt at some point in our lives, so people do understand it, many just basically don't care until it hits them personally.

A "depressed" sad mood alone does not constitute clinical depression, so no not everyone has "felt" it.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#70New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 03:16:58
@alk1975 Said

A "depressed" sad mood alone does not constitute clinical depression, so no not everyone has "felt" it.

Yeah, I've been sad in my adult life.

I was also hospitalized for clinical depression when I was 16.

Two very different universes.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#71New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 05:00:43
@alk1975 Said

I agree. Unfortunately, cliches of pretty much any kind are not helpful for someone who is depressed to that extent. They are truly unable to see any chance of things being better in the future, or else they would not want to die. Best to help them find a reason to live.

I can't say anything to you without you running to the mods.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#72New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 05:01:51
@Eaglebauer Said

Yeah, I've been sad in my adult life.

I was also hospitalized for clinical depression when I was 16.

Two very different universes.

But sometimes it isn't easy to distinguish the difference.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#73New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 05:04:58
@cisslybee2012 Said

But sometimes it isn't easy to distinguish the difference.

It's actually very easy if you've genuinely experienced both of them.

Deleted

Bronx, New York
#74New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 05:37:18
@Eaglebauer Said

It's actually very easy if you've genuinely experienced both of them.

True.

But with some people they don't know if they've experienced both, and may mistake one for the other.
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#75New Post! Jun 11, 2012 @ 13:10:57
I'm so glad to read the original poster got help. Way to go!

As fr my thoughts on suicide, i think it all depends on the situation you are in. For instance there is a clinic, in Sweden i think, that sets up assisted suicide for those wishing it - terminally ill. I think it allows them their dignity and a last bit of control in how their life ends.

The documentary i watched followed a family whose mother was dying of some debilitating disease. They all agreed on it and traveled from the States to...Sweden? and the nurse prepared the special tea, said to the woman, ' now when you drink this, you will die.' She drank the tea and was asleep and then death in less than a few minutes. It was very peaceful for the tea drinker and for the family who sat with her while she died.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs