The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Family

What Can You Give Dad On Fathers Day when you know it will be his last?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Catcherintherye On December 11, 2010

Bumfuk, United States (general
#1New Post! Jun 05, 2009 @ 02:46:01
I have heard a lot of family dilemmas and break ups due to their disfunctionality.But tonight I have a serious problem that is close to home.My Dad has been diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer and its not likely he will ever live to see another on with me.Over the years I've given him everything from power tool to fishing tackle to dress shirts with pants.God allowed me to have him for 20 years and while neither of us were perfect,we always kept our differences between ourselves.This is going to be the last fathers day for me and I don't know what to give him.Everything I can think of I've already tried.What do you give a man who has already received everything I have to give? I'd love to give him a little more time or better yet a cure for Lung Cancer but these things are out of my reach so I'm asking for suggestions.He has little chance of still being with us for Christmas this year and I'm sure from Father's Day next year until I die,flowers will be all I can send to the cemetary. Please be kind because I'm very serious and it stresses me out. Thank you
mixieloca On September 13, 2020

queens,
#2New Post! Jun 05, 2009 @ 02:49:16
Oh dear!Just give him the gift of you, your comapny being there for him, make him a collage or some form of artwork, something from your heart, it will be a surprise and mean very much.
Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#3New Post! Jun 05, 2009 @ 02:55:10
I agree with mixieloca, just be there with him on Fathers day. The personal gift of self means so much more than any material gift. It will forever be in both your hearts.
evababy1 On July 29, 2010
Speechless

lodi, New Jersey
#4New Post! Jun 05, 2009 @ 02:57:51
Yes, I agree with the above posts, as well. Just be there for him, support him, listen to him. He will appreciate you being there more than you know. Please take advantage of the time you're going to have with him.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#5New Post! Jun 05, 2009 @ 03:09:54
@Catcherintherye Said

I have heard a lot of family dilemmas and break ups due to their disfunctionality.But tonight I have a serious problem that is close to home.My Dad has been diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer and its not likely he will ever live to see another on with me.Over the years I've given him everything from power tool to fishing tackle to dress shirts with pants.God allowed me to have him for 20 years and while neither of us were perfect,we always kept our differences between ourselves.This is going to be the last fathers day for me and I don't know what to give him.Everything I can think of I've already tried.What do you give a man who has already received everything I have to give? I'd love to give him a little more time or better yet a cure for Lung Cancer but these things are out of my reach so I'm asking for suggestions.He has little chance of still being with us for Christmas this year and I'm sure from Father's Day next year until I die,flowers will be all I can send to the cemetary. Please be kind because I'm very serious and it stresses me out. Thank you

Give him a cool fishing trip with his son.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#6New Post! Jun 05, 2009 @ 05:00:14
All the ideas given so far are great. In addition, if he is a christian, you could give him a 'new' cross necklace or something, or a lil something to place in the room he spends most of his time in, or hang something. At times like this, Christians like having something to read nearby.
And, even if he is not a Christian, the above ideas still work, the jewelry,knick knack, or hanging could just represent by beauty or sayings peace, love, trust, and/or faith in a generic sense. Anything related to the religion he is, or generically calming and beautiful.
confusedboy On November 07, 2009

Houston, Texas
#7New Post! Jun 05, 2009 @ 06:07:47
Think of something really rememorable.Go skydiving with him if thats ok or water skiing idk I'd jus wanna do fun things with my family before I went. Idk u have my deepest sympathies
tickleme On January 28, 2014

somewhere in the world., Antar
#8New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 08:37:01
How about a collage of lots of pics of you and him together.
The other thing i thought about is getting a box and writing on different pieces of paper all the things that make him special.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 10:07:59
@Catcherintherye Said

Please be kind because I'm very serious and it stresses me out. Thank you

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. That's awful news, and yet, whilst he is still here, I'm sure that he delights in seeing you, talking to you and knowing what you have planned for yourself & your future.

The best fathers day gift you can give him? Unless there is something specific he needs, your time would be the best gift of all to him. Hang out with him, talk about what you remember growing up with him, encourage him to do the same. Take some photos of you both together when you were younger. Take your camera with you.

Take advantage of the time you still have to acknowledge that he 's a superb dad. Take him out if he is well enough, to do something together you would both enjoy. And you know, you can always ask him what he would like to do. He may have something in mind himself.
firefly46 On July 06, 2010

Plymouth, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 10:12:05
@sunandsurf13 Said

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. That's awful news, and yet, whilst he is still here, I'm sure that he delights in seeing you, talking to you and knowing what you have planned for yourself & your future.

The best fathers day gift you can give him? Unless there is something specific he needs, your time would be the best gift of all to him. Hang out with him, talk about what you remember growing up with him, encourage him to do the same. Take some photos of you both together when you were younger. Take your camera with you.

Take advantage of the time you still have to acknowledge that he 's a superb dad. Take him out if he is well enough, to do something together you would both enjoy. And you know, you can always ask him what he would like to do. He may have something in mind himself.

Good advice, I would like that from my kids, It's quality time. Just need to show him and tell him that you love him very much.
xTeddyx On April 30, 2012
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#12New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 13:11:22
I agree with the posts to give him the gift of you, the fishing gift or something similar that you both would or him mostly would enjoy. Doesnt have to big. Does he like to go to a specific place to walk or picnic? A store he loves to go to. A movie on Dvd he would love to watch with his son while eating his favorite food? You will figure it out
xTeddyx On April 30, 2012
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#13New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 13:12:00
@nothernigga Said

It doesn't matter what you give him: when he dies, his memory will be forgotten. I noticed you mentioned God. The God of the Bible does not condone pagan festivals, such as, Fathers Day. How did he get lung cancer anyway? By smoking? If that's the case then he got what was coming to him. Despite saying that, I feel your pain and have sympathy for you.

You are so unbelievable rude
TrOoPs On April 02, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 13:40:58
I agree with the gift of you also but I understand you want to give him that something special! how about an album! with special events in his life and precious moments that ment something to him! like a trip down memory lane! get friends and family to add something sentimental or funny also
TrOoPs On April 02, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jun 06, 2009 @ 13:42:17
@nothernigga Said

It doesn't matter what you give him: when he dies, his memory will be forgotten. I noticed you mentioned God. The God of the Bible does not condone pagan festivals, such as, Fathers Day. How did he get lung cancer anyway? By smoking? If that's the case then he got what was coming to him. Despite saying that, I feel your pain and have sympathy for you.

SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs