2012 Olympics

What An Incredible Week We've Had

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 10, 2012 @ 08:00:58
I'm feeling a bit exhausted by it all by now. We travel home on the overnight train tonight and it will be back to work on Monday. Life goes back to normal, but what a week it's been.

We came up to London on the overnight train last Friday night / Saturday morning and were met by my dad at Paddington. Poor dad... he had to take the long way round to get us home to Blackheath because the women's triathlon was taking place and he couldn't go through Central London. Good start, eh..?

On Saturday afternoon Amanda and I took a walk down to Greenwich park just to get the feel and atmosphere of the Games. We didn't have tickets for the Equestrian events so we just walked around the cross country course and found our way to the big screen. We watched the Equestrianism from there. The crowd were incredible and the atmosphere was electric.

I had to smile at one little girl watching, who got very excited and started to hanker her mum to get her a horse so she can ride at the Olympics too. Awwww bless.... she couldn't have been more than 9 years old, but hey... Inspire A Generation is the mission statement of these Games. I doubt very much the little one will get her horse, but then again.... Who knows what that little girl might be doing come 2024 or 2028.

We had tickets for the gymnastics on Sunday and it felt strange to be back in the venue formerly known as the Millenium Dome. I've only been there once before and that was when it was actually... er... the Millenium Dome. The gymnastics was great to watch and we even saw GB win silver and bronze. Such a shame Louis Smith didn't get the gold, but all the same, it was so exciting.

We headed into Central London on Tuesday to watch the men's triathlon and cheered the Brownlee brothers all the way. This event was free to watch and we got a good place in the Mall to see the action. The crowd was so lively.... there was a real carnival atmosphere. We stood next to a couple from Australia and we joked that we thought Australia had boycotted the Games as they hadn't been seen at any medal presentations. They saw the funny side of it and made banter back at us about Britain only being good at sitting down events like riding, cycling and rowing to which Amanda replied that sitting down was alright as long as you're in the driving seat..

And so the banter went on. All good natured fun and afterwards we went up to Soho together to a little cafe we know and had a nice meal together. They're really lovely people and said they were enjoying their visit to London. That's the important thing... our visitors are having a good time at the Games.

On Wednesday we went to the evening session of the Athletics at the Olympic Stadium. Wow, what a fantastic place it is. The highlight of the night was seeing Usain Bolt run in the 200 metres semi final. We had seats in the upper tier, looking round the final bend and right down the home straight. When Bolt went past us, we knew there was nobody on that track who was going to catch him. The roar of the crowd was deafening. I think I was shouting louder than anybody. Again, the atmosphere was electric and although there were no medals for GB on the night, the experience alone was out of this world.

We were back there yesterday for the next session. This time we arrived earlier and took the time to go around the Olympic Park. So much to see and do and when we went into the Stadium, we were better prepared what to expect in the events. This time we had a group of Jamaican fans sitting in front of us so you can imagine who they had come to see in the 200 metres final. Nobody could have expected a Jamaica 1, 2, 3 and when it happened they went berserk..!! I was jumping with them..!! incredible.

Despite what anybody may have read in the papers or heard on TV or radio, these Games have been exceptionally well organised.

We cleared security in no time at all, the Games Makers were helpful and were able to answer all questions. The trains were plentiful and ran perfectly and we didn't even have to stand..!! Food and drink was not too expensive (not as bad as we feared) and we got some nice mementoes from the shop to bring home at reasonable prices.
The police and army were discreet but everybody felt comfortable and reassured that nothing untoward was going to happen.

And so my Olympic experience has come to an end. How sad..!!

Seven years ago when the announcement was made that London would host the Games, I said to Amanda "We're going. We are going to go to the Games". She knew I meant it.

Seven years of looking forward to it, and it's over in one brief week. But what a week.

We've had the time of our lives, soaked up the most unbelievable atmosphere and seen the cream of the world's athletes in performances that take the breath away.

Thank you London 2012. It has been the experience of a lifetime and when, in years to come, people say about Usain Bolt doing the first ever successful defence of both 100 and 200 metres races, we can say "We were there".
waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

lancaster, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 10, 2012 @ 08:14:02
Lucky you. You sound like you had a real blast. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs