The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Recreation:
Cars

What's the situation with getting across the U.S.-Canadian border?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#1New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 09:16:46
Considering we are travelling by car, and we'll crossing in groves in two weeks, is a driver's license alas enough. In Europe it is. Or for the special non-austere reasons of America will require our passports?
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#2New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 11:48:26
Bring a passport or stay home
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#3New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 11:58:58
@floydgirrl Said

stay home

FIFY
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#4New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 12:09:54
@Reviso Said

Considering we are travelling by car, and we'll crossing in groves in two weeks, is a driver's license alas enough. In Europe it is. Or for the special non-austere reasons of America will require our passports?

To be crossing in groves would suggest that you don't intend to use the regular border crossing-points. If this is true, then you won't require any documentation. But, you'd better bring a change of clothes, and a toothbrush. Sometimes, the arraignment process can take days, before the authorities can decide what to do with you.

Will you be peddling your vehicle, or is it motorized?
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 12:14:06
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

To be crossing in groves would suggest that you don't intend to use the regular border crossing-points. If this is true, then you won't require any documentation. But, you'd better bring a change of clothes, and a toothbrush. Sometimes, the arraignment process can take days, before the authorities can decide what to do with you.

Will you be peddling your vehicle, or is it motorized?

Also bring a stack of five dollar bills (American) to "grease the wheels" at mealtime. You know what I mean. The good mashed potatoes.
Stalkee

#6New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 12:18:10
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 13:40:15
@Reviso Said

No, you can no longer cross the border into Canada with just a driver's license. You need a passport.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#8New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 19:51:19
@jonnythan Said

No, you can no longer cross the border into Canada with just a driver's license. You need a passport.

That's not entirely true. There are other documents besides passports that are acceptable if you are driving. The only one I'm familiar with is the Enhanced Driver's License; the process to get one is similar to a passport but it becomes two-in-one and looks like a driver's license.

List of acceptable documents to pass from Canada to US
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#9New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 20:41:21
@someone_else_again Said

That's not entirely true. There are other documents besides passports that are acceptable if you are driving. The only one I'm familiar with is the Enhanced Driver's License; the process to get one is similar to a passport but it becomes two-in-one and looks like a driver's license.

List of acceptable documents to pass from Canada to US

I spent many years living on the border and used to cross over quite frequently. If you did not have a passport, the Nexus swipe, or a fast card, you would be denied entry. I am not sure if they are allowed to do that or not but I do know people who had other forms of what that link says is acceptable and they were denied and told you need one of three things, passport, Nexus or Fast card.

Now, if your passport is expired and you are applying for a new one if you go to Service Canada they give you a slip to let it be advised you are renuing your passport and you can get through the borer with the slip. I am not sure if they are allowed to let you go through with that or not but they do let you at the border I cross at. My friends did it not that long ago and I plan on doing it pretty soon. The slip does not work if you are applying for your first passport, only if you are renuing a passport.

To get a Nexus card, its quite the process, they look into everyone ad everything about you quite more indepth than a passport because you just swipe it. Its meant for people who live on border and go over for groceries. Its a separate line than people who have passports.
Stalkee

#10New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 20:47:35
He still needs more than just his drivers license...
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#11New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 20:50:54
@DorkySupergirl Said

I spent many years living on the border and used to cross over quite frequently. If you did not have a passport, the Nexus swipe, or a fast card, you would be denied entry. I am not sure if they are allowed to do that or not but I do know people who had other forms of what that link says is acceptable and they were denied and told you need one of three things, passport, Nexus or Fast card.

Is that the kind of "denied entry" where those other things should work but they won't take them? I wonder if it's possible that those other things only work the provinces they listed - BC, Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.

@DorkySupergirl Said

Now, if your passport is expired and you are applying for a new one if you go to Service Canada they give you a slip to let it be advised you are renuing your passport and you can get through the borer with the slip. I am not sure if they are allowed to let you go through with that or not but they do let you at the border I cross at. My friends did it not that long ago and I plan on doing it pretty soon. The slip does not work if you are applying for your first passport, only if you are renuing a passport.

That makes sense.

@DorkySupergirl Said

To get a Nexus card, its quite the process, they look into everyone ad everything about you quite more indepth than a passport because you just swipe it. Its meant for people who live on border and go over for groceries. Its a separate line than people who have passports.

I just skimmed over the application/enrollment process. Sounds like a pretty solid screening tactic. Even if someone manages to "slip through," they still have a lot of proof of identification. Wow.

, Canada
#12New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 21:07:54
@someone_else_again Said

Is that the kind of "denied entry" where those other things should work but they won't take them? I wonder if it's possible that those other things only work the provinces they listed - BC, Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba.

That makes sense.

I just skimmed over the application/enrollment process. Sounds like a pretty solid screening tactic. Even if someone manages to "slip through," they still have a lot of proof of identification. Wow.

Oh, I thought the link meant for all provinces, any of this listed for ID will work, so thus my comment as to, does not work at the border I cross at. Yeah, then it only works for the provinces listed. I need a fast past, Nexus or passport.

Though I did come back into Canada once and they did not ask to see any of my ID. I did you not. I sat there and waited for them to ask but no one asked me to prove anything, they just let me cross.

I wanted to get a Nexus. I think its only 50$ and right now a passport, with the cost of photos etc is like 200$. We now have a choice of 5 year or 10 year passport.

I remember one time, when it was NOT mandatory to have passport yet, I flew into America and at the airport in Toronto when you have to go through Homeland security, the agent thought I was suspicious not to have a passport and he really was not wanting me to enter your country. He gave me such a hard time. I thought I was not going to go through but with great hesitation, he let me though. They detained my friend once in a little room with Homeland security agents and one time, they had a woman come over and hand pat me down. This was way before TSA scan or pat down. I guess me and my friends looks suspicios.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#13New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 21:11:03
@DorkySupergirl Said

Oh, I thought the link meant for all provinces, any of this listed for ID will work, so thus my comment as to, does not work at the border I cross at. Yeah, then it only works for the provinces listed. I need a fast past, Nexus or passport.

Though I did come back into Canada once and they did not ask to see any of my ID. I did you not. I sat there and waited for them to ask but no one asked me to prove anything, they just let me cross.

I wanted to get a Nexus. I think its only 50$ and right now a passport, with the cost of photos etc is like 200$. We now have a choice of 5 year or 10 year passport.

I remember one time, when it was NOT mandatory to have passport yet, I flew into America and at the airport in Toronto when you have to go through Homeland security, the agent thought I was suspicious not to have a passport and he really was not wanting me to enter your country. He gave me such a hard time. I thought I was not going to go through but with great hesitation, he let me though. They detained my friend once in a little room with Homeland security agents and one time, they had a woman come over and hand pat me down. This was way before TSA scan or pat down. I guess me and my friends looks suspicios.

Obviously you must look Canadian.

, Canada
#14New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 21:13:51
@someone_else_again Said

Obviously you must look Canadian.

Or I was too tanned and heading to Arizona and they thought I was an illegal. I had my papers, damnit!!!!
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#15New Post! Jun 17, 2013 @ 21:16:03
@DorkySupergirl Said

Or I was too tanned and heading to Arizona and they thought I was an illegal. I had my papers, damnit!!!!

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs