Westminster Terrorist Incident

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 16:51:11
BBC News - Westminster Terror Attack

An incident that has occurred in Westminster is being treated as a terrorist incident after a vehicle was driven into civilians on Westminster Bridge and a police officer was stabbed inside the Palace of Westminster.

The knife assailant inside the POW was shot dead by an armed officer.

As I write, one woman has been declared dead as a result of severe injuries sustained on the Bridge. Others are described as having "Catastrophic" injuries.

Details so far are sketchy, but the area has been sealed off and police confirm that a terrorist investigation is underway.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#2New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 17:32:21
@Jennifer1984 Said

BBC News - Westminster Terror Attack

An incident that has occurred in Westminster is being treated as a terrorist incident after a vehicle was driven into civilians on Westminster Bridge and a police officer was stabbed inside the Palace of Westminster.

The knife assailant inside the POW was shot dead by an armed officer.

As I write, one woman has been declared dead as a result of severe injuries sustained on the Bridge. Others are described as having "Catastrophic" injuries.

Details so far are sketchy, but the area has been sealed off and police confirm that a terrorist investigation is underway.

Always sad news.
I believe small barricades are in order to prevent people from driving very far along where there are pedestrians.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 18:08:56
The police officer stabbed by the assailant has died from his injuries.

I understand what you're saying, Shino and around the city, where traffic hazards are recognised, safety barriers are installed but we don't want them everywhere. London is an open city and we're not going to turn it into a series of cages with people huddled inside them.

It's important that we don't let terrorists dictate what our city is going to look like.
Mankysparrow On April 26, 2017

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 19:56:57
I live in central London so this is not far from my home, there are crash barriers around some buildings here, but like Jennifer said, we don't want the whole city turned into a prison. it's a shame they killed the bastard, now he's going to be a hero martyer to the rest of them nut jobs. I can't help but think we are too soft, we need to start displaying heads on tower bridge again.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Mar 22, 2017 @ 22:29:17
My condolences to the families who have lost a loved one and my well wishes to those folks dealing with their injuries .
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 00:46:03
@Jennifer1984 Said

The police officer stabbed by the assailant has died from his injuries.

I understand what you're saying, Shino and around the city, where traffic hazards are recognised, safety barriers are installed but we don't want them everywhere. London is an open city and we're not going to turn it into a series of cages with people huddled inside them.

It's important that we don't let terrorists dictate what our city is going to look like.

I'm thinking more like occasional zig zags that could be planters or sculptures or such. Would allow people to dash behind without going very far & keep vehicles from going any further. Landscaped instead of cold barricades should give everyone some piece of mind.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 05:31:07
There is a lot of sense in what you say, Shino. It would be an effective way of dealing with an attack of this nature but still, it isn't the sort of thing we want to be forced into doing. I'm sure MankySparrow would agree that the British... and in particular Londoners.... can be a pretty defiant, bolshy, stroppy bunch who can be downright bloody minded when somebody tries to push us around. We see this character trait as a virtue.

We're not going to be forced into restructuring the streets of the capital and the Mayor who ever suggested it wouldn't be the Mayor after the next election if he ever did.

The police now say that they have assessed that this was a "Lone Wolf" attack. They have established his identity and indications at this time are that the attack was motivated by Islamic fundamentalism.

London is an ancient city and the vast majority of it's streets are narrow (by American standards) and wide open to this sort of tactic.

It isn't the first time that a vehicle has been used in this way.... to attack people on the pavement.... At Woolwich, South London in May 2013, an off duty soldier, Lee Rigby, was rammed by a car and then hacked to death with machetes by two attackers in a revenge attack for British involvement in Afghanistan.

Of course we don't want people harmed in this way but as I said above, we don't kow-tow to terrorists. I can understand the police officer responding by shooting the attacker but I don't condone it.

That man cannot now be questioned and no opportunity can be taken to gain any possible intelligence from him. He will become a martyr for those who are on the path of radical Islamism and no doubt his (they will call it) "sacrifice for Allah" will motivate others to follow this path of action.

Can't say I like the idea of going back to heads on spikes at Traitors Gate though, Sparrer. The ravens are well fed enough as it is, mate.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#8New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 06:51:48
I totally get where you're coming from when you say as a society you won't kow-tow to terrorists. But how does incorporating safety measures similar to what shino suggested fall under the heading of kow-towing ? Putting dirt filled decorative planters around so your citizens have a place they can get to ,out of someone's way who was hell bent on 'body count' seems like it would be more of a F**K YOU to the guy instead . He would most likely have heavy damage to his car and possibly be injured himself and your citizens would be alive and healthy to give wittiness against the guy. just saying .
chaski On about 10 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#9New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 15:51:50
No intention to high jack this thread, but...

The Westminster attacker was British-born and known to the police and intelligence services, Prime Minister Theresa May has revealed.

So, let's pretend for a moment that this was in the USA.

Trump's Muslim travel bans and security vetting of muslim travelers from specific countries would not have stopped it.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 16:50:41
@white_swan53 Said

I totally get where you're coming from when you say as a society you won't kow-tow to terrorists. But how does incorporating safety measures similar to what shino suggested fall under the heading of kow-towing ? Putting dirt filled decorative planters around so your citizens have a place they can get to ,out of someone's way who was hell bent on 'body count' seems like it would be more of a F**K YOU to the guy instead . He would most likely have heavy damage to his car and possibly be injured himself and your citizens would be alive and healthy to give wittiness against the guy. just saying .

I really do get what you're saying, believe me. But as I said previously, many of our roads are quite narrow as are the pavements. There simply isn't the room for such things in a condensed and crowded, busy city.

Having said that, these things do exist in some places where it is practicable but it's simply not feasible everywhere. And Central London.... where an attack is most likely to be targeted, is one of those places.

Your own, much wider thoroughfares are not the sort of thing you'd see here.

London was founded by the Romans and has developed over 1000 years+. The last major re-design of the whole city occurred in 1666 after the Great Fire of London. We didn't have motor cars back then and even Christopher Wren (rebuilt the City and designed St Paul's Cathedral) didn't foresee the sheer volume of people and traffic that we have now.

And if you think that makes London sound primitive, just try getting around Paris or Rome in the daytime..!! Europe is OLD. Very OLD. That needs to be considered.

You may have noticed a couple of posts back that Manky Sparrow.... who lives in Central London.... could see where I'm coming from. I was born and raised in Greenwich.

Two Londoners are trying to tell you something about London. I know your comments are well intended and I appreciate them, but you don't know the city.

For what it's worth, I think the incident of ramming was more opportunist than planned. It's just my estimation, but I think he was headed for his principal target of Parliament and he saw the crowd of people on the bridge in just the right place to do what he did and he went for it.

Collateral damage. Where have we heard that one before.

Usually, the sheer volume of traffic in Central London would prevent anybody from driving fast enough to do such a thing but as terrible as it sounds for those poor people, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong moment.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Mar 23, 2017 @ 17:07:33
@chaski Said

No intention to high jack this thread, but...

The Westminster attacker was British-born and known to the police and intelligence services, Prime Minister Theresa May has revealed.

So, let's pretend for a moment that this was in the USA.

Trump's Muslim travel bans and security vetting of muslim travelers from specific countries would not have stopped it.

I think you're quite right, Chaski. Trump's bans are ridiculous and short-sighted in my opinion.

The attacker has now been identified as Khalid Masood, a 58 year old man with a criminal record for offences of violence. He was born in the county of Kent (south east corner of the country) but had moved to Birmingham (in the West Midlands).

8 arrests have been made in Birmingham in connection with the attack since last night.

He had been questioned in the past by the Security Services, but was estimated not to be a threat or involved with any organisation. The Security Services say they have no indication that he was in contact with any terrorist group. Islamic State are trying to claim "credit" for the attack but that sounds to me like they're trying to jump on the bandwagon.

The official situation is still that this was a Lone Wolf attack, carried out in a low-tech manner (hire car... knife... no explosives or firearms involved). Extremely difficult to anticipate or gather advance intelligence on. Almost impossible to prevent.

And as it has been carried out by a British citizen, a migrant ban the like of which Trump is trying to impose, would not have prevented it.

Sad to say that one of the victims was a US citizen, Kurt Cochrane, who was visiting London with his family as part of his 25th wedding anniversary celebrations died from his injuries. His wife is in hospital with serious injuries. The couple were due to return to the US today. Terrible..... Absolutely terrible.

US Citizen Killed In Terror Attack
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#12New Post! Feb 05, 2018 @ 01:34:48
I am sorry for those injured or killed BUT at least the police acted swiftly & dealt with the situation effectively. Over here they would have to sit around & debate what action to take instead of getting on with what needed to be done. Here they are more worried about consequences of actions but seem to forget not doing anything also has consequences! Great job on what was done!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs