Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#1New Post! Sep 20, 2010 @ 22:10:41
Were Adam and Eve murdered by God?

Genesis 3;22
And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

I read this as God breaking His word by putting condition in place that make it impossible for Adam and Eve to do what He commanded them to do in Gen2;16.

Genesis 2;16
And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: ------This would include the tree of life.
17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Thus, they did not lose their lives.
God forced them to die by locking up the tree of life.

This situation is analogous to you or I finding our child bleeding to death, and hiding the tourniquet that would save it?s life.
In our real world, we would be found guilty of murder and deservedly so. I think that this would be a monstrous act by any person.
God did exactly that in Genesis3;24 by the denial of the tree of life. If under our secular law, God would be found guilty of premeditated murder the same way we would be in my tourniquet scenario..

This shows a jealous, vindictive, criminal God who would also deny man extremely vital information that man must have for moral growth and to be able to rise above the common beasts. The knowledge of good and evil. The source of our moral sense.
Our moral sense is basically the only factor that places us above what we call dumb animals.

Many read Genesis and it?s cautionary tale in a literal way and if so, the literal Word condemns God as stated above.
If not read literally and as myth, it still shows God in an evil light and I frankly do not know if the writer would denigrate God just to give us some other moral message.

Genesis, in the garden as well as elsewhere, shows a sadistic unjust God who is quick to trample on man?s free will and I do not think that free will enters into the why of the story of Adam and Eve but I do refer to it in the link below.

As a Deist without a creator God, my interest in Adam and Eve and how God dealt with them is in the morality of the situation and I question strongly the notion that God was behaving in a moral way. If you could respond with your moral view I would appreciate it.

The punishment revolves around the notion that Adam and Eve should not have disobeyed God?s command to not eat of the tree of knowledge. God had already declared that that tree was good. This is confirmed here.

Genesis 3; 6
And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Without first eating of the tree that would teach her what good and evil meant, it would be impossible for Eve to know that the tree was good for food or indeed that to die, the punishment for eating of it, was evil. Another reason for not taking scriptures literally because knowing good and evil before eating of the knowledge of good and evil makes no sense at all. Regardless of this fact, one must wonder why, if the tree was already good and desirable for wisdom, why God would introduce a Satan or talking snake to tempt Eve. Good drama I guess. Why punish man for becoming wise is also a good question. Surely He could not have wanted man to remain or go through life without wisdom or less wisdom that He said the talking serpent possessed.

I include here other view and perspectives for your perusal, entertainment or enlightenment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nESfGlR7l-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594cFaTKlE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBDGMj2h-c&feature=related

My question then is this.

Did God set conditions in Eden for His eventual murder of Adam and Eve, through His denial of the tree of life, after breaking his word to them as to their being able to eat from it?

Regards
DL
MagicBus On June 23, 2014

Boondocks USA,
#2New Post! Sep 20, 2010 @ 22:36:54
dont think so . infact im almost certain the butler did it .
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#3New Post! Sep 21, 2010 @ 10:49:03
@GreatestIam2 Said

As a Deist without a creator God

????

I think Genesis is mostly excellent allegory, but the author got carried away trying to explain why we're self-aware, therefore able to understand good and evil, and why we are mortal.

Personally, I think we're mortal because this is a proving ground, and we wouldn't want to go through this forever, especially if there's a better afterlife.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#4New Post! Sep 21, 2010 @ 13:11:58
Meh.. I wouldn't really worry about it..

Adam and Eve never existed, and neither does god, so it makes the entire debate moot.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Sep 21, 2010 @ 13:15:31
I think they just died of old age After all thier kids had incestous marriages of course.

Ottawa, Canada
#6New Post! Sep 21, 2010 @ 13:47:11
@MagicBus Said

dont think so . infact im almost certain the butler did it .

Thanks for--not much.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#7New Post! Sep 21, 2010 @ 13:49:48
@ThePainefulTruth Said

????

I think Genesis is mostly excellent allegory, but the author got carried away trying to explain why we're self-aware, therefore able to understand good and evil, and why we are mortal.

Personally, I think we're mortal because this is a proving ground, and we wouldn't want to go through this forever, especially if there's a better afterlife.

That is not quite true.
Adam and Eve were already dying before they ate of the tree of knowledge so they could not have brought death to humans or animals. God had built death into the system.
It was God denying them the tree of life that allowed death to come to us.
Adam and Eve had not eaten of the tree of life. You might try to understand the story more clearly.

https://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=tree%20of%20life&version1=9&searchtype=all

You will note that most references to tree of life has nothing to do with immortality and that we also know, thanks to biology and physics, that no man or any biological creature can live forever. Immortality is a wish only and has no place in reality.

Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, it is pure fantasy. I don?t know about your history but if you think about it, who in hell would want to live in our bodies forever. Not me. I think we would all end up insane or literalists.

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#8New Post! Sep 21, 2010 @ 13:51:33
@boxerdc Said

Meh.. I wouldn't really worry about it..

Adam and Eve never existed, and neither does god, so it makes the entire debate moot.

Not quite, if it turns some foolish literalists.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are Religionists.
They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Belief in fantasy is evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HKHaClUCw4&feature=PlayList&p=5123864A5243470E&index=0&playnext=1

They also do much harm to their own.

African witches and Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI&feature=related

Jesus Camp 1of 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqGhcwwE1s

Regards
DL

Ottawa, Canada
#9New Post! Sep 21, 2010 @ 13:52:30
@plebian_angel Said

I think they just died of old age After all thier kids had incestous marriages of course.

If read literaly, you are right.

Regards
DL
MagicBus On June 23, 2014

Boondocks USA,
#10New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 00:58:39
@GreatestIam2 Said

Thanks for--not much.

Regards
DL

dont mention it , anything i can do to help
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#11New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 15:53:57
@boxerdc Said

I assume you mean that the God of Genesis didn't exist, since I don't think you're in possession of evidence (much less proof) that the universe came to be spontaneously.

@plebian_angel Said

Well, the fact that there were other people in the world (from which Cain and Seth could take wives, and from which Cain needed God's protection lest he be slain for murdering Abel), is ample proof that Genesis is allegory and was understood as such when it was written. Of course this doesn't stop latter-day literalists from preaching otherwise. Their faith leads them to face such contradictions undaunted.

@GreatestIam2 Said
It was God denying them the tree of life that allowed death to come to us.

OK.

Quote:
You will note that most references to tree of life has nothing to do with immortality and that we also know, thanks to biology and physics, that no man or any biological creature can live forever. Immortality is a wish only and has no place in reality.

OK.

Quote:
Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, it is pure fantasy. I don?t know about your history but if you think about it, who in hell would want to live in our bodies forever. Not me. I think we would all end up insane or literalists.

Well, whether we would want to or not.....
In any case, certainly not it hell.

Those realities faced, what now?

Ottawa, Canada
#12New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 17:42:52
We will see what comes up.

Regards
DL
MartynPalmer On April 04, 2011

Bristol, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 17:57:58
Yes.
Then God played with the magical pixies and forest nymphs in the wonderful land of happiness.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#14New Post! Sep 24, 2010 @ 11:28:36
@MartynPalmer Said

Yes.
Then God played with the magical pixies and forest nymphs in the wonderful land of happiness.

Yes, since every revealed religion has gotten it wrong, IMNTBHO, and is perhaps deserving of some sarcastic humor, I don't think that means we should throw the baby out with the bathwater. Not that that's what you're doing, I'm just throwing a disclaimer in there.
MartynPalmer On April 04, 2011

Bristol, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 24, 2010 @ 13:04:37
Im not particulaly religios and I find some of the stories in the bible ridiculous.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs