Technology & Internet

Web browser to get 'privacy mode'

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Aug 21, 2008 @ 11:20:33
Microsoft is planning a "privacy mode" for the next release of its Internet Explorer (IE) web browser.

By clicking a button, users of IE8 will be able to limit how much information is recorded about where they go online and what they do.

Microsoft watchers have spotted two patent applications covering ways to manage the amount of information a browser logs.

When introduced the privacy mode will match features found on other browsers.

Medical test

Australian blogger Long Zheng has found two patent applications made by Microsoft on 30 July for ideas it calls "Cleartracks" and "Inprivate".

The applications deal with methods of erasing data that browsing programs log, turning off features that record sites visited or notifying users of what sites are doing to log a visit.

While many browsers already have menu options that let people alter security settings and clear history files it typically has to be done on a use-by-use basis.

Users may wish to turn on the privacy mode if they are planning a surprise party, buying presents or researching a medical condition and do not want others users of the same computer to find out.

Internet Explorer 8 is due to go on general release late in 2008 though early trial versions are already available.

By comparison Apple's Safari browser already has a privacy mode and developers working for Mozilla, creators of Firefox, are reportedly working on a similar feature for future versions.

Other browsers, such as Xerobank, take a more thorough approach to privacy and try to anonymise all web use.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7574265.stm
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#2New Post! Aug 21, 2008 @ 11:46:14
Even IF microsoft ever sorts that piece of crap browser out, I'm still going to have the bad taste in my mouth enough to never bother...

They should just quit it. Just discontinue internet explorer altogether, it's actually hindering web design...
innit!

#3New Post! Aug 21, 2008 @ 11:49:19
Firefox will in my eyes still provale.. IE is crap full stop and i am sure firefox will bring out there version inthe latest thing.
innit!

#5New Post! Aug 21, 2008 @ 12:35:08
@utopian Said
firefox is good but microsoft IE is the best browser there is on the net. It is the most reliable from loading pages too software based error.
The privacy item in IE8 can be both a good thing and negative as some sites request the information otherwise the page wont load at all it really depends upon the end user

I disagree fire fox is far more stable than IE..i find IE is too thursty, and it lets in all manner of problems. Firefox, stops alot of issues.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs